8th pick in snake draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

8th pick in snake draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

good advice so far and responses

Postby squirtle » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:36 pm

I had prior first round last year! and it hurt of course (and mags in the second!)...I lucked out and got beltre super late and ortiz in like the seventh so i didn't end up in the toilet (ended up third) but my pitching was sketchy until I traded for santana midseason...right before he went on that wicked tear...at any rate, I'm aware of the pitching risk but I think I would take RJ if he falls to me though it is tempting to take tejada....

I suspect bonds may also be available, esp if tejada isn't...but I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on an OF for first pick, let alone post balco bonds who I think will still be good but I get a funny feeling...

So no-one thinks the double stud pitcher strategy is good, eh? :)

I do have to respond to the four category arguement...most of the top hitters, outside of a few real studs, you are paying for four categories...helton and bonds for sure, tejada steals a bit but not THAT much help, manny doesn't steal, etc.etc. So unless yer getting an abreau or beltran or arod I'm not sure that's a viable arguement against first round pitchers...but sticks are more consistent I agree, and safer bets for sure...risk vs. reward...if rj doesn't break down though he's gonna hit 20 wins for sure...and I suspect he might even edge upward a bit...(imagine those quality starts from last year with the yankee offense behind him...woulda won 25 for sure)...prolly better upside overall than even tejada, whom I adore at that spot in the draft...certainly would take rj over manny though, or helton I think (with that crappy colorado lineup around him)
squirtle
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:58 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:God no. Please do NOT Take a pitcher in the first round. No matter how many times it burns people over the years, they seem to be obsessed with hurting themselves again by committing to pitching. I would not even take Santana round 1. Not because I think lowly of either pitcher, but becuase it is just a dumba** thing to do. You take the best stick because sticks are more reliable. Simple as that. The last thing you need is another Prior...or RJ from 2 years ago..or Pedro from a few years back. There is NOTHING worse than a round 1 SP going into the cra**er. You will base your entire draft strategy on the dominant ace and when they go down they usually take your staff with them...not worth it.

Take the best 1st round stick not named Soriano. Tejada would be the first choice...then Helton or Manny. Look to get a SP in round 3.

I normally agree with you but you also need to adapt. I didn't want to take a pitcher in the 1st round but I had the 10th pick and went with a SP because the hitters available didn't justify going that way. On the way back, I went with another SP because again, the hitters didn't justify it. It's a keeper league and I will be just fine with Santana and Prior for the next 10-15 years.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:15 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:God no. Please do NOT Take a pitcher in the first round. No matter how many times it burns people over the years, they seem to be obsessed with hurting themselves again by committing to pitching. I would not even take Santana round 1. Not because I think lowly of either pitcher, but becuase it is just a dumba** thing to do. You take the best stick because sticks are more reliable. Simple as that. The last thing you need is another Prior...or RJ from 2 years ago..or Pedro from a few years back. There is NOTHING worse than a round 1 SP going into the cra**er. You will base your entire draft strategy on the dominant ace and when they go down they usually take your staff with them...not worth it.

Take the best 1st round stick not named Soriano. Tejada would be the first choice...then Helton or Manny. Look to get a SP in round 3.

I normally agree with you but you also need to adapt. I didn't want to take a pitcher in the 1st round but I had the 10th pick and went with a SP because the hitters available didn't justify going that way. On the way back, I went with another SP because again, the hitters didn't justify it. It's a keeper league and I will be just fine with Santana and Prior for the next 10-15 years.

Things change a bit in a keeper. In a keeper at pick 10 Santana is not a bad choice. I think I would have passed on Prior round 2 though. That is me being more a non-believer in Prior than anything else.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:31 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Things change a bit in a keeper. In a keeper at pick 10 Santana is not a bad choice. I think I would have passed on Prior round 2 though. That is me being more a non-believer in Prior than anything else.

I hear ya. Like I said, I don't like going with pitching in the first round let alone the first 2 but I did it for 2 main reasons:

1. The hitters left on the board were not as valuable, IMHO.
2. The Santana/Prior duo for the next 10+ years was too good to pass up.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:57 pm

8th pick i would look at tejada, manny, helton in that order..... when it comes back around to you crawford would be a good pick if he is still there.... crawford steals, runs, and BA would blend in real well with tejada, manny, or heltons numbers.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers