8th pick in snake draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

8th pick in snake draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

8th pick in snake draft

Postby squirtle » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:24 pm

League is standard 5X5 with 2C, one each IF, 5 OF, 2 U (any posit) and 7 pitchers, 2 of which have to be rp and 2 sp...also 2 bench spots...no keepers...this is our fourth year

8th...such a weird position...despite my usual approach to fantasy (hitters early)...in this league pitchers tend to go quickly in the early rounds...here are the strategies I was considering:

take either tejada or helton who should fall to me...was considering soriano but helton just has the better skills though his surrounding lineup makes me wary of him...then take a decent stud pitcher in the second round....OR...a forty dinger guy in the second (or crawford if he drops to me) and worry about pitching later

OR, and this is the real question, I was thinking about taking RJ in the first round and either Pedro or Mark Prior (maybe Jason Scmidt but I think he'll be gone) in the second...then spend the next eight rounds on hitters and get my saves guys late as this league's participants seem to devalue saves guys...

not sure, what do ya think...? Is this viable? strong? I don't think I have any other way to truly control the draft besides doing this...I think my fellow owners will panic: sheets, perez, zambrano, maybe even mussina and halladay will go by the time the draft gets back to me with this kind of strategy...and I should be able to get two solid hitters in 3 and 4...

anyway, thanks for the advice :)
squirtle
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jeff926 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:40 am

i would definitely take rj in round 1 if it gets to you. you have to have a top stud as a pitcher, and if beltran, pujols, arod, vlad, and bonds are gone, rj is the next logical pick. i would definitely try and get 2 studs for pitching, then get your lineup. you can still get the #1 or #2 catcher in those rounds, a good 1st baseman, speed in the OF, and plenty of guys. look for mota in the later rounds as a steal if the guys devalue closers. you might want to get a dominant closer e.g. rivera/gagne in round 2, cause then you are always contending for saves.
you heard it here...
Seattle Mariners 2007 World Series Champs!
Felix Hernandez = 35 wins, 400K!
i can dream...
jeff926
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rico The Retard » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:29 am

ya RJ seems like a good choice if he falls to you, just stack up on hiting for like the next 3 picks
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:37 am

God no. Please do NOT Take a pitcher in the first round. No matter how many times it burns people over the years, they seem to be obsessed with hurting themselves again by committing to pitching. I would not even take Santana round 1. Not because I think lowly of either pitcher, but becuase it is just a dumba** thing to do. You take the best stick because sticks are more reliable. Simple as that. The last thing you need is another Prior...or RJ from 2 years ago..or Pedro from a few years back. There is NOTHING worse than a round 1 SP going into the cra**er. You will base your entire draft strategy on the dominant ace and when they go down they usually take your staff with them...not worth it.

Take the best 1st round stick not named Soriano. Tejada would be the first choice...then Helton or Manny. Look to get a SP in round 3.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby so0perspam » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:41 am

TheYanks04 wrote:God no. Please do NOT Take a pitcher in the first round. No matter how many times it burns people over the years, they seem to be obsessed with hurting themselves again by committing to pitching. I would not even take Santana round 1. Not because I think lowly of either pitcher, but becuase it is just a dumba** thing to do. You take the best stick because sticks are more reliable. Simple as that. The last thing you need is another Prior...or RJ from 2 years ago..or Pedro from a few years back. There is NOTHING worse than a round 1 SP going into the cra**er. You will base your entire draft strategy on the dominant ace and when they go down they usually take your staff with them...not worth it.

Take the best 1st round stick not named Soriano. Tejada would be the first choice...then Helton or Manny. Look to get a SP in round 3.

Exactly, Prior at 8th overall last season brings back nightmares. :-°
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Clevelander » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:33 am

8 to me this year is the ideal position...

its the bare bottom of the ultimate stud line and you get nearly 1st grabs at another stud pitcher...

grab tejada definitely, 1st base is deeper and helton is nice but not a lock like tejada for ss....

on the wrap around get your stud pitcher....schmidt, schilling, or pedro should still be there
Harry Doyle: Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant.
Clevelander
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nikku88 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:25 am

I would also go with Tejada if he falls to number 8.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rlee » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:38 am

Take a hitter!!!. I also, am in the camp that would take Tejada if available.

Stud pitchers, no matter how good ... help you in only 4 categories. A hitter, can contribute in 5. Even Tejada, who doesn't run much may be able to get you 10 SBs and add to your total.

A stud pitcher will get you ZERO saves.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:40 am

Tejada or Helton, in that order, if they make it to you. You can still get an ace at pick #17.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Jury » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:59 pm

rlee wrote:Take a hitter!!!. I also, am in the camp that would take Tejada if available.

Stud pitchers, no matter how good ... help you in only 4 categories. A hitter, can contribute in 5. Even Tejada, who doesn't run much may be able to get you 10 SBs and add to your total.

A stud pitcher will get you ZERO saves.

Yes, however it is my opinion that either a) stud pitchers are rarer than stud hitters or b) stud pitchers are more valuable than stud hitters. My point b) is a bit shaky at a glance, but you guys may be able to sort of get my drift on it if you think about it.

Anyways, I'd definitely grab Tejada, RJ, or Helton, but there's a good chance that all three will be gone. In which case, I'd hit up a slugger, hopefully an OFer, like Manny.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers