100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mags ready to sign

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mags ready to sign

Postby Danimal » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:37 pm

From ESPN:
Breaking News
Magglio Ordonez is reportedly leaving the White Sox for the Tigers, with whom he has agreed to a five-year, $75 million deal.

This is clearly the worst signing of the year. Insane. I didn't know the Tigers had so much money to burn.... Unbelievable.
8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o
:-t
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tlef316 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:46 pm

bad signing. I have to believe his knee is still messed up if he wasnt willing to work out for other teams.

This could be a disaster of mo vaugn'esqe proportions. But i guess thats the price you pay to bring an allstar to detroit.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Joe Mauer » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:48 pm

tlef316 wrote:bad signing. I have to believe his knee is still messed up if he wasnt willing to work out for other teams.

This could be a disaster of mo vaugn'esqe proportions. But i guess thats the price you pay to bring an allstar to detroit.

Yeah, but there is a clause in the contract, reportably, that if his knee problems resurface the remainder of the contract is null and void.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby Pedantic » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:55 pm

I don't think it's a bad signing if it's structured like Rodriguez's was last year. I still wish he were coming to the NL though. I could use another great outfielder. :-b
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Amazinz » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:47 pm

Yep it's a good signing. Is $15 per year a little high for Mags? Probably but Detroit has to overpay a little (like the Mets did) and a healthy Mags gives them a legitimate shot at that division. The exact details haven't been released AFAIK but the contract becomes voidable in the first year if he misses X number of games.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby free » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:07 pm

the problem is the tigers have to way overpay for players to come to detroit. i heard they offered a lot more for renteria, but who wants to go to detroit. still to much money i say for a bum knee :-o
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:33 pm

free wrote:the problem is the tigers have to way overpay for players to come to detroit. i heard they offered a lot more for renteria, but who wants to go to detroit. still to much money i say for a bum knee :-o

thats the beauty of the contract though - if he has a bum knee and has to miss time, then chances are he will only get a fraction of the sticker price. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:39 pm

And if he doesn't get hurt, you are overpaying for his production. Either way you cut it, its lose-lose for the Tigers. Awful signing.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:47 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:And if he doesn't get hurt, you are overpaying for his production. Either way you cut it, its lose-lose for the Tigers. Awful signing.

we all have our opinions - but as a Tiger fan, Im happy. Obviously it makes us stronger.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Surfs up » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:52 pm

Its a great signing. he will help them become a better team right now. They will compete for the division this year. And it will help make it easier to sign FAs next year and years after. Next years FA list is weak but they won't be turned down anymore. When money is thrown around like it is they had to do what it took to get him. If he wasn't healthy they wouldn't have signed him. We don't know all the details about the workouts or the medical records check. But do you really think the Tigers would put themselves on the line for this kind of money without doing their homework? Texas wanted him. The Cubs wanted him.So is he a good signing for them at 10-12 million a year but not Detroit at 12-15 million?Does 2-3 million make that much differnce? It did to the Tigers. Great job Detroit. Ordonez will be a huge addition. To bad for guys like Higginson but thats what happens when you are an average ball player but are putting up below average numbers. Think this would be happening if Higginson had lived up to the contract Randy Smith signed him to?I think I would rather over pay for a solid hitter in Ordonez then 8.25 million or more to a bum like Higginson who ahad a could of above average years.
Last edited by Surfs up on Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 200)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers