Detroit starting outfield??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Detroit starting outfield???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Detroit starting outfield???

Postby Bozo » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:14 pm

Assuming the Maggs to Detroit rumours are true, who now fits in to the Tigers outfield picture? I know Sanchez is scheduled to open in CF but I don't see that lasting more than half the season. Higgy is still around but the writing was on the wall even before the Mags signing. White should be in LF but between his age and injury history I don't expect a full year out of him. I suspect Logan and Granderson are a year away. Does Monroe figure to get his usual 400+ ABs this year?
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:20 pm

I think he is going to get the sahft. If White or Sanchez gets hurt then he gets to play, but untill then its Bench for him.

The Inside Pitch wrote:#1 Alex Sanchez CF
#2 Omar Infante 2B
#3 Pudge Rodriguez C
#4 Magglio Ordonez RF
#5 Dmitri Young DH
#6 Carlos Guillen SS
#7 Carlos Pena 1B
#8 Rondell White LF
#9 Brandon Inge 3B
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Surfs up » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:05 am

Looks like Higginson will be let go and the Tigers will try to package Maroth and maybe Monroe to get another starter. The could even move Inge back to center and Young to third. And trade Sanchez. Monroe could become the DH/ forth outfielder
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 199)

Postby moochman » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:32 am

I would be surprised if Ordonez, Sanchez, and Higgy didn't make up thier starting OF. Where there is a problem is at DH where they have Young, White, and Monroe needing ABs. They really need to trade White or Young, since they have the most value.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby fantasyfiend » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:17 am

If Bonderman continues to progress, and that detroit offense improves on an already good offensive outbreak from last year....they might actually be able to compete in that division
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby stumpak » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:16 am

Sporting News says a platoon of White and Monroe in left. As for trading Maroth and Monroe, do you think they could really pick up a decent starter for that price? Monroe's performance last year seems like a good bet to be an aberration, and he obviously had a troubled off season. I think the best you could get for those two is a journeyman 4th starter type, so why not just stick with Maroth and see if he can come around?
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:00 am

I'd like to see Monroe get a shot at the full time job. He did well last year and that wasn't the first time he performed that well. 23 HR in 2003 in 425 ABs at the expense of poor AVG, OBP. A very slight HR decrease in 2004, but 2Bs went up along with his BA in a very similar amount of ABs. He also has a very good arm in the outfield. He's a real threat to throw guys out. Hopefully he'll put his offseason incident behind him.

White's a very good hitter when he's healthy, which seems like a rarity for him. When he's healthy, it seems to be only a matter of time before that changes.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby looptid » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:46 am

Getting caught shoplifting a $30 belt isn't the end of the world. It's kind of goofy when you make around $350,000 a year, but fantasy baseball wise, it's better than an injury. Monroe went .321 / .369 / .638 after the all-star break last season. I'd hope the Tigers would give him a shot at playing everyday.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:02 pm

stumpak wrote:Sporting News says a platoon of White and Monroe in left. As for trading Maroth and Monroe, do you think they could really pick up a decent starter for that price? Monroe's performance last year seems like a good bet to be an aberration, and he obviously had a troubled off season. I think the best you could get for those two is a journeyman 4th starter type, so why not just stick with Maroth and see if he can come around?

Does the Sporting news article consider Maggs? I think that White and Monroe just lost their jobs. The Tigers would love to trade these guys and Monroe does have some potential. He can 'belt' the ball. He is a terrible fielder, though. If they could package Maroth and either White, Monroe, Sanchez, of even Young for middle relief help and a glove they could contend.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:39 pm

Kind of ironic how Maggs now has the chance to make the team that snubbed him (CWS) the 2nd worst team in their division. :-b
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers