Jeff Kent = buyer beware !! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeff Kent = buyer beware !!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby giants8307 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:13 pm

I'm targeting brian roberts in the 9th-10th round this year for my second base job. The position is his w/o hairston around, and i think having tejada/sosa/lopez behind him will give him 100+ runs(besides his 30 steals). I think he'll give the best 'value' this year.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby grammysboy » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:28 am

giants8307 wrote:I'm targeting brian roberts in the 9th-10th round this year for my second base job. The position is his w/o hairston around, and i think having tejada/sosa/lopez behind him will give him 100+ runs(besides his 30 steals). I think he'll give the best 'value' this year.

I have Roberts in a keeper 5X5 regular mixed roto auction league for $10. I also have Reyes at $10. We get to keep up to 10 players is this a reasonable price to keep Roberts at?
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby giants8307 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:01 am

grammysboy wrote:
giants8307 wrote:I'm targeting brian roberts in the 9th-10th round this year for my second base job. The position is his w/o hairston around, and i think having tejada/sosa/lopez behind him will give him 100+ runs(besides his 30 steals). I think he'll give the best 'value' this year.

I have Roberts in a keeper 5X5 regular mixed roto auction league for $10. I also have Reyes at $10. We get to keep up to 10 players is this a reasonable price to keep Roberts at?

That might be a bit high. I guess I think he's worth that much, I just think you could get for cheaper. I'd rather have reyes for $10, though, if you have to choose.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:35 am

I wont take Kent this year, for basically all of the reasons NZF has stated, and the fact that he will go WAY too early in the draft for me. I would also prefer Utley many rounds later.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby JTWood » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:04 am

Damn all of you for talking about Utley. I was tempted to start a thread asking about his playing time a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't because no one had been talking about him around here lately.

Now he's back on the map...

Image :-C
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby JTWood » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:12 am

Just for the record, I have Kent at:

.275, 25 HR, 100 RBI, 89 R
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Kent

Postby quicksilver8 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:19 am

I think to summarize this thread, we can say this:

Kent will put up pretty good numbers for a secondbasemen.
However, his auction price/draft round he is selected in, will be too high to justify the stats he provides.
Second base is deep enough that money/early picks can be better spent elsewhere knowing that decent keystone sackers can be had latter in the draft.

How's that?
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Kent

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:33 pm

quicksilver8 wrote:I think to summarize this thread, we can say this:

However, his auction price/draft round he is selected in, will be too high to justify the stats he provides.

How's that?

Not to beat the point to death (actually why not), but you can say the same thing about Soriano and his < 20 Sbs and < 80 runs scored, nuetral at best avg and decling OPS the last 3 years. If Kent is a bad value pick round 5-7, why isn't Soriano round 1-2?

Which would you rather have: an 18-22 dollar 2b in round 1-2 or in round 5-7? Is the "hope" that Soriano does not continue to post 04 like numbers in 05 and that he breaks his 3-year downward trend in OPS worth bypassing a Rolen or Manny or Abreu or Schilling or Tex for?

Again, this place seems to have its biases which would be fine if it was consistent. But the same people often professing Soriano as a legit round 1 pick be-rate Kent 5-6 rounds later. In fact, you would think Kent had committed some high crime around here by the way he is routinely criticized. Yet you would think Soriano is the next coming of the Babe.

Other inconsistencies noted here at times:
- Beltre in round 1-2 is a "great pick" while Chavez, Aramis, Blalock, Rolen rounds 2-6 are around.
-Sexson in rounds 7-9 while 1b is just loaded with depth including solid players like Konerko and Nevin who can be had a lot cheaper and who are no more of a risk injury-wise than Check Swing Richie.

Then there is the rookie or near rookie love fest:
- Morneau being kept in many leagues over guys who are solid round 5-6 picks and going round 6-10.
-Greinke apparently is the next coming of RJ from the hype he is getting (he does still pitch in KC doesn't he?). Yet I have seen him picked over Maddux, Penny, Odalis Perez, Livan Hernandez and others.
-Mauer-mania...a rookie C with limited ABS...going as high as round 3 in some of my keeper drafts. You have just got to be kidding. If Varitek is round 12 material, why is Mauer anything more than that?
He is the next Yogi Berra apparently.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:21 pm

I agree wth the original post, but one thing to add is that Dodger Stadium has made major renovations and IMO won't be a pitcher's park anymore, and will help HR's, although not as much as Houston did. Adding 8,000 seats to what used to be foul territory can have that effect.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:23 pm

Jeff Kent will not be on any of my rosters this year unless he just falls ridiculously far (10th round+).

He'll slowly dwindle off to below average and then retire. I would post my reasoning but so much of it has already been said that it would just be a waste of everyone's time to rehash it.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers