Mags apparently a Tiger - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Mags apparently a Tiger

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mags apparently a Tiger

Postby moochman » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:26 pm

Pat Caputo, local sports talk radio host, is reporting the the Tigers have inked Magglio Ordonez to a five year $75 Million dollar contract. This according to a story in a New York paper by John Haymen.

In spite of my cynical nature I am very pumped up about this deal. I hope they structured the contract with safeguards against him being damaged goods. I wonder what sort of moves will follow now that they have a surplus of OF/DH?1stB types?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:10 pm

Well, they still need CF, 3B, RP, and a true ace. CF or 3B is the biggest need that shouldnt be too hard to fill. We could use a good veteran MR, but it isnt as necessary as CF/3B. A true ace is more of wishful thinking - we would need to pay an arm and a leg for one, and its possible we could be knee deep in true aces within 2-3 years, so signing one for much more than 2 years would be a risky move - not saying Id turn it away though.

White is easily moveable - Maroth is an option. One of the pitching prospects could be moved for the right deal. Obviously no one would lose sleep over moving Sanchez. Pena could be dealt, but it would be a mistake. Then theres always Urbina.

I do see the Tigers making another move possibly before ST - we'll see.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:59 am

In what is likely my most optimistic post on the Tiges, I think that they have a decent rotation, sans a #1. Bonderman is ready to take on the role of a #2 starter, Johnson and Robinson are both solid #3 types. Ledezma could be a real surprise and solidify the end of the rotation. Maroth is serviceable #3-4. I hope they can package him up with a surplus OF/DH for either a better starter or a couple of solid middle relief guys and a glove.

Should be an interesting season, >.500 is attainable. Did I just say that about the Tigers? :-D
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby prodpaul » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:43 am

How's that viral infection???

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:14 am

prodpaul wrote:How's that viral infection???

What bothers me the most about his viris is that the Tigers don't seem to be to up front about it. They say it's Diverticulosis, but then he has to be sent back to Detroit for what sounds like a lot of in depth testing. Makes me wonder what is really going on.

I hope it's not a steroid induced viral infection like Giambi's. But since the Tigers have made light of it and then have to send him home due to 'abdominal pain', one can only wonder what the heck is going on.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:17 pm

moochman wrote:
prodpaul wrote:How's that viral infection???

What bothers me the most about his viris is that the Tigers don't seem to be to up front about it. They say it's Diverticulosis, but then he has to be sent back to Detroit for what sounds like a lot of in depth testing. Makes me wonder what is really going on.

I hope it's not a steroid induced viral infection like Giambi's. But since the Tigers have made light of it and then have to send him home due to 'abdominal pain', one can only wonder what the heck is going on.
How in the world did this end up turning into hernia surgery? Some virus. I wonder who came up with that original diagnosis of a viral infection?

Good thing we've got Thames, although he's no Ordonez.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Detroit Tigers