Magglio Ordonez a Tiger? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Magglio Ordonez a Tiger?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Magglio Ordonez a Tiger?

Postby moochman » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:18 pm

According to MLive the Tigers are very close to signing him to a five year contract. On local sports talk radio this morning Pat Caputo is saying that there are reports from a John Haymen of the New York Newsday has reported that the Tigers Have signed him to a 5 year $75 million dollar contract. No further details are known and I haven't been able to find a link for this story.

What do you think this does to the Tigers and Mags? He is a .250ish hitter in Comerica National Park with only one HR in over 100 ABs.

As a Tigers' fan I love that they have done this as it gives them a legitimate RFer (if he's healthy) freeing up Rondell White/Dimitri Young/Alex Sanchez to package in a trade. What are the experts in the Cafe's opinions?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Magglio Ordonez a Tiger?

Postby The Jury » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:22 pm

moochman wrote:According to MLive the Tigers are very close to signing him to a five year contract. On local sports talk radio this morning Pat Caputo is saying that there are reports from a John Haymen of the New York Newsday has reported that the Tigers Have signed him to a 5 year $75 million dollar contract. No further details are known and I haven't been able to find a link for this story.

What do you think this does to the Tigers and Mags? He is a .250ish hitter in Comerica National Park with only one HR in over 100 ABs.

As a Tigers' fan I love that they have done this as it gives them a legitimate RFer (if he's healthy) freeing up Rondell White/Dimitri Young/Alex Sanchez to package in a trade. What are the experts in the Cafe's opinions?

Woah moochman hang on! :-D Tigers haven't signed anyone until it's official.. ;-)
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CrimeDog » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:37 pm

Ouch, I hope they have some kind of insurance built into that deal if he gets hurt, even if he stays healthy for 162 games all 5 years it seems as though thats too much for Maggs but I guess thats what it takes to get a star player in Detroit. :-D
CrimeDog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:00 pm

Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:02 pm

Not that I doubt that Maggs is likely headed to Detroit, but NY Newsaday is hardly a reliable source. Same clowns had Milton signed as a Yankee.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:40 pm

I like what this does for the Detroit franchise....even if the price is a little to high for him...that makes two legitimate big name players they have been able to bring in within two years...which inturn should help lure more players...I think Dombrowski and Trammell have this club going in the right direction... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Super GM » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:05 pm

Five years and 75 million! I think I need to take my ass to the majors. :-b
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:31 pm

Even the stiff get paid 2M...see Heredia. And guys like Franco are getting something like 750K? I believe. 750 K to tend to tomatoes in the Astro bullpen?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:05 pm

15 million a year! 8-o Glad the Cubs didn't pay that much, thats WAY overpriced. Too much to pay for a guy with so much risk, even if there is outs. What is Vlads contract, just to compare?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:40 pm

Super GM wrote:Five years and 75 million! I think I need to take my ass to the majors. :-b

Yeah, I think I might just do the same. I hear the pay there is pretty good, and I could go for some of that moon money!
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers