Derek Lee or Richie Sexson??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Derek Lee or Richie Sexson???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:14 am

I expected a little power spike last year from Derrek Lee. It didn't really happen. In fact, I paid for his steals (like an idiot hoping he would continue to run) and didn't get them. So I'm a little bitter. But I think the increase in 2B+HR is a good sign and we may see a littlel power spike yet. Don't expect him to run much but bank on at least another .275ish, 30 HR, 90+ RBI season with a handful of steals.

Sexson is somewhat of a risk for 05. Popping your shoulder out while check swinging is really scary. The M's probably had him thoroughly checked out but you never know. I've heard people popping their shoulders after a similar injury who do not spend everyday swinging a bat. Also, he is moving to an extreme pitcher's park for the first time in his career. I've never seen Sexson hit cheap shots but... in his career, at home (CLE, MIL, AZ) he is averaging 43 HR/162 G versus 34 HR/162 G games in away games. Add in the fact that he is facing new pitchers for the first time. He is Derrek Lee with slightly more power minus the steals.

So, Sexson has three strikes going into 05 versus none for Lee. I'll go with Lee this season and probably beyond.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rlee » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:20 am

I would go with Lee in both a keeper league and a redraft league. Sexson probably has a higher ceiling, but those shoulder injuries scare the heck out of me. He reinjured it last year, simply by swinging! Ouch!! !+) If it goes again, he may be done. Plus, Safeco will have some affect on his HRs.

Lee has proven to be durable and I still feel Wrigley will ultimately help him. ;-D
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby trevisc » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:36 am

I'd rather have Derek Lee because his batting average should be higher and his risk for injury is lower then Sexson.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby The Jury » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:31 pm

rlee wrote:I would go with Lee in both a keeper league and a redraft league. Sexson probably has a higher ceiling, but those shoulder injuries scare the heck out of me. He reinjured it last year, simply by swinging! Ouch!! !+) If it goes again, he may be done. Plus, Safeco will have some affect on his HRs.

Lee has proven to be durable and I still feel Wrigley will ultimately help him. ;-D

:-o8-o ?!?! Sexson is one of the biggest sluggers when he's healthy ;-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CrimeDog » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:38 pm

I'd take Derek Lee simply because of Sexson's dead shoulder
CrimeDog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby RugbyD » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:27 pm

CrimeDog wrote:I'd take Derek Lee simply because of Sexson's dead shoulder

I think people misunderstand shoulder injuries and the procedures used to repair them. Not that there is no risk, but people are making too much of it. It's not like this is Griffey's hamstring or Bagwell's shoulder.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby RynMan » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:44 pm

RugbyD wrote:
CrimeDog wrote:I'd take Derek Lee simply because of Sexson's dead shoulder

I think people misunderstand shoulder injuries and the procedures used to repair them. Not that there is no risk, but people are making too much of it. It's not like this is Griffey's hamstring or Bagwell's shoulder.

I understand this injury crystal clear and it scares me. His injury tends to reoccur, and it aint THAT hard to do.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:19 pm

RynMan wrote:
I understand this injury crystal clear and it scares me. His injury tends to reoccur, and it aint THAT hard to do.

Agreed...100%
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers