Hideki Matsui or Maggs Ordonez??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hideki Matsui or Maggs Ordonez???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Jury » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:46 pm

Yoda wrote:
The Jury wrote:Maybe, but I'm really fond of the stud sluggers... B-)

A guy like Maggs really floats my boat with his .310+ BA and his MONSTER RBI numbers. And my league always uses hits, so he's a beast of an OF.

What is really interesting is that Matsui put up numbers in 04 that Ordonez put up before his injury. Yet you still prefer Maggs who has some serious question mark regarding his health as well as where he will end up playing. If he ends up some place like DET, even IF he stays healthy, he will produce like Matsui. And his health is a BIG if.

I knew this would come up. Projections are projections to me. So until he actually takes that step back (be it due to Comerica or other factors) then he's a bigtime slugger in my books. Roto vs. H2H also has a huge role in this decision. In H2H leagues, I love the big potential guys, whereas in Roto, you need the consistent production all year long, so injuries are a huge concern.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sockeye » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:22 pm

Ya'll are making me feel good about taking Matsui 2 picks after Maggs was taken.

Just a quick comment about the whole "you gotta take risks ti win a league/playing safe only gets you 2nd place". Well, you gotta take risks that are well-calculated - in other words, less risky risks. Ankiel COULD turn out to be your best SP this year - but if you take him first, that's a BAD risk. In round 10, there are still better players on paper, but he's a risk pick that you can better justify.
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:27 pm

I think another factor people forget is how good Comiskey/US Celluar is for HR. Comerica is not as good for hitters, so a drop in #s compared to say his 02 season is probably likely.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:34 pm

Matui by a mile. Maybe if you can pick up Maggs dirt cheap he might be a better value, but lots of fantasy owners are predicting a bounce-back for him -- for reasons which aren't clear to me -- so he's not gonna come much cheaper than Matsui. In that case, I'd let someone else take the risk.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers