Hideki Matsui or Maggs Ordonez??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hideki Matsui or Maggs Ordonez???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Jury » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:02 pm

Maggs is one of the sickest fantasy sluggers when healthy.

He put up high 30s HR, 120 RBI, 100 runs, killer BA, and can swipe some bases.

I like the big potential guys because they win championships. I haven't seen people have much success just by playing it safe and taking all the above-average-not-spectacular players...
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:10 pm

The Jury wrote:Maggs is one of the sickest fantasy sluggers when healthy.

I like the big potential guys because they win championships. I haven't seen people have much success just by playing it safe and taking all the above-average-not-spectacular players...
Yeah, they also lose you championships in spectacular fashion :-D . I think the risk outweighs the reward with Maggs, the whole knee thing just scares me. Go with Matsui, who should be on par with next year, and is far safer.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Garry26 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:15 pm

I choose Maggs. Yes hes a risk, but high risk = high reward. Because of the risk he will be cheap in auction drafts and fall to the lower rounds in snake drafts. If hes OK he will be back to his old self at a bargain price. The old Maggs was a 2nd-3rd round pick. If hes back to form you can have a 2nd round pick at 8th-12th round prices. Well worth the risk. Its like having two 2nd round picks.

Matsui is the safer pick if you want to be cautious though. However, depending on the round or price, Maggs could be a good pick. Can you say no to Maggs for $5? Can you say no to Maggs in the 12th round after youve picked most of your starting players?

Just make sure youre not counting on him as one of your main pieces. Think of him as a bonus. If it works out, you hit the lottery. Bid on him or snake draft him that way and youll be safer and minimize your risk
Last edited by Garry26 on Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 65)

Postby bleach168 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:16 pm

The Jury wrote:Maggs is one of the sickest fantasy sluggers when healthy.

I agree with your philosophy. If the amout of risk was equal to the amount of the reward, I would go with Maggs all day. But in this case, the risk outweighs the reward by so much it's not worth it.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:19 pm

Garry26 wrote:I choose Maggs. Yes hes a risk, but high risk = high reward. Because of the risk he will be cheap in auction drafts and fall to the lower rounds in snake drafts. If hes OK he will be back to his old self at a bargain price. The old Maggs was a 2nd-3rd round pick. If hes back to form you can have a 2nd round pick at 8th-12th round prices. Well worth the risk. Its like having two 2nd round picks.

Matsui is the safer pick if you want to be cautious though. However, depending on the round or price, Maggs could be a good pick. Can you say no to Maggs for $5? Can you say no to Maggs in the 12th round after youve picked most of your starting players?
2nd Rate Veteran Keeper League: Magglio-$22. Hideki Matsui- $17 (Matsui is mine ;-D ) Trust me, Maggs won't go that late and he wont be that cheap. At the price he still commands, I don't think its worth the risk.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BGbootha » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:21 pm

yeah matsui is a lock here.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Garry26 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:34 pm

If $22 is the going rate then hes not worth the risk. However, thats not the case in all leagues. The value of players varies from league to league.

It all depends on what the owners in your league think they know. Do most of them feel Maggs is going to do well or do they think hes too much of a risk? If most feel hes going to do well then his price will skyrocket. If they feel hes too risky his price will stay low. Act accordingly. Bid on him. If his price stays low then he could be yours. If it goes too high, leave him. If hes still around in the 10th round or so, go for it. If hes not, good! That means theres 1 more better, safer player available that someone else didnt grab.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:39 pm

I would say that Mags average value, from what I've seen, is somewhere in the 17-20 range. Matsui is about the same. If they are going for the same price, I take Matsui every day of the week over Mags.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Bloody Nipples » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:52 pm

Matsui by far for me. I keep hearing that a .300, 30, 100, 100 guy is just an average OF, but that couldnt be farther from the truth. Matsui is almost a lock to reach those numbers, and I would bet that he exceeds them, possibly by a good amount. Maggs, if healthy, would most likely put up similar numbers, but the injury risk means that thats a big IF. So, who would you rather have? Matsui, who is almost a lock to go 30, 100, 100, or Maggs, who's upside is 35, 105, 105, but who's injury will most likely prevent him from doing so? I'll take Matsui all day.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Garry26 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:52 pm

P.S. if theres another mock draft on the cafe, please send me a PM. ive missed several already. Id especially love an auction draft at the cafe.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers