pitcher pounding - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

pitcher pounding

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

pitcher pounding

Postby dave_1861 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:49 pm

Hey guys, in my yahoo h2h keeper league we are trying to finalize some settings for this season and a big issue is pitcher pounding, now we set a minimum of 21 innings each week and we discussed setting a weekly transaction limit of three (unless the player you are replacing goes on DL) but some guys are against this. Now i wonder if we should have a max innings pitched each week, i don't know if yahoo allows h2h leagues to set a max innings per week for pitchers or not but if they do, do you think this would resolve or curb this problem?
Baseball is dull only to dull minds. -- Red Barber, announcer
dave_1861
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:36 pm

In Yahoo you can't set Max IP limits (weeky or yearly) for H2H. The only way to stop pitcher churning is to set a max on transactions.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Jury » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:09 pm

Amazinz wrote:In Yahoo you can't set Max IP limits (weeky or yearly) for H2H. The only way to stop pitcher churning is to set a max on transactions.

Or games played...
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:21 pm

In Yahoo GP is only for position players. You can't set it for pitchers.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:46 pm

So then why not go to weekly lineups? You can still do daily xactions, but have them take effect for the next week. That will stop the churning.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby williesd » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:50 pm

Weekly lineups suck because if a position player gets hurt on Monday it kills you...I think the transaction limit is best option.
Maybe change it to 4.....Maybe add a loss category?
williesd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby williesd » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:54 pm

Or maybe do a transaction limit on Pitchers only....The commish could police the situation...
williesd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:58 pm

You take the good with the bad and the likelihood of you getting screwed with an injury on a Monday is the same as for any other team owner. H2h is mostly luck anyway. I fail to see why a small element like a weekly lineup roster is a big distress to players in that format.

I could get into the ridiculousness of churning 250 players a year through your team in an effort to artifically run up Ws and Ks in H2h without limits. And while transaction limits may work also it is kind of lame to restrict free agent pickups or see owners hold off on legit free agent pickups during the week because some nonsense is being played as owners try to manipulate the starts of their pitchers towards the weekend.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:08 pm

Weekly transactions are probably the best route but transaction limits are far from lame and they work just as well for leagues that prefer not to use weekly transactions. I don't mind them but a lot of people I play with do.

I have a H2H league that has been together for quite awhile and the average yearly transactions is approximately 25 per team. When a team is churning they will exceed 25 pretty quickly. If you can't get through a season with 25 transactions then you need to learn how to draft.

We also have an exception built in that we've never needed to use. The Comissioner will make an exception for any team so riddled with injury that they aren't able to field a legal team.

The league has been together long enough that we don't need the rule anymore but it worked well when we were first starting out and we had manager turnover during the first couple of years. If you think 25 is too small then raise it to 50. Any reasonable number will put an end to churning.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:20 pm

I would probably set a transaction limit, because it adds a bit more skill into H2H.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers