Why I'd still take A-Rod first - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why I'd still take A-Rod first

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Drdobs » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:14 pm

The one thing you have to like about A-Rod is the fact that he's probably the most RELIABLE player of the top 3 of him, Pujols, and Vlad.

A-Rod rarely goes down with injury and his swing and body suggest injuries are going to be a rarity.

Because your first pick in the league is such a cornerstone type pick, I think it's more important to get the guy who's most likely to produce for you all year long than it is to try and eak out the better player.

No doubt Pujols and Vlad are reliable players, but if you had to really put your money on one player to last all year long, I bet you'd think it would be A-Rod.

So, with that in mind, I think I'd go A-Rod number one.

Jon
Drdobs
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pat1999 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:24 pm

Cooner wrote:personally i'm staying away from a-rod this year, until he's proven he can get the job done. :-B

prove he can get the job done?????? how can u say that...he has been proving he is one of the best hitters in baseball since 1996...a-rod is a stud...and i believe he will come back this year and shut everyones mouth that has been talking bad about him for one dissapointing season...

but on the #1 pick....its really a matter of personal preference and draft strategy...eveyone;s is different and taking a-rod or pujols or beltran or whoever with your first pick really isnt going to make much of a difference if you planned out your team well around whoever you decide to take...
greatest game on earth
pat1999
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DK » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:26 pm

domination wrote:
Yankee Single Digits wrote:(Ruth was a Pitcher w/ 94 wins and a era of 2.28)

what i'm saying prolly doesn't go here but.....interesting fact, Did you know that Babe Ruth has the highest winning percentage against the yankees in the history of the game? i think he was 21-3.

Even though this has nothing to do with anything, i think its a funny thing to know.

That's nothing, against the Red Sox Ruth is currently 85-1.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:52 pm

Drdobs wrote:The one thing you have to like about A-Rod is the fact that he's probably the most RELIABLE player of the top 3 of him, Pujols, and Vlad.

A-Rod rarely goes down with injury and his swing and body suggest injuries are going to be a rarity.

Because your first pick in the league is such a cornerstone type pick, I think it's more important to get the guy who's most likely to produce for you all year long than it is to try and eak out the better player.

No doubt Pujols and Vlad are reliable players, but if you had to really put your money on one player to last all year long, I bet you'd think it would be A-Rod.

So, with that in mind, I think I'd go A-Rod number one.

Jon
Can you honestly consider ARod more reliable than Pujols? I can understand Vlad because he had the back (even though he had good numbers every other year), but Pujols has been consistently one of the top players since entering the league. Hes never had any missed time injuries, and hes had amazing numbers every year. Pujols is easily the most reliable player in the league.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:54 pm

I like your arguement. I have a temptation to agree with you, and in some ways i do.

Out of 100 drafts I will take ARod over Pujols 100 times. I like Arods lineup more, I like Arods health more, I like his speed, and I believe every other category for him is about the same (ability wise, I understand that he had a drop off last year of course). However, if Vlad was 100% healthy I think he beats them all simply because his average will likely be higher and with a healthy back he would steal more then ARod as well, while still having a killer lineup in front and behind him. Of course Vlad is never healthy so this year I still take ARod first pick. ;-D

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RyanK » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:17 pm

i wont take arod because hes a yankee and i hate having to cheer for any yankee when they play the red soxs, it just tears at me...

if i would take him id have to sit him vs the red soxs, sorry, thats just me.. though im sure there are other of you like this
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:20 pm

Zito is God wrote:I like your arguement. I have a temptation to agree with you, and in some ways i do.

Out of 100 drafts I will take ARod over Pujols 100 times. I like Arods lineup more, I like Arods health more, I like his speed, and I believe every other category for him is about the same (ability wise, I understand that he had a drop off last year of course). However, if Vlad was 100% healthy I think he beats them all simply because his average will likely be higher and with a healthy back he would steal more then ARod as well, while still having a killer lineup in front and behind him. Of course Vlad is never healthy so this year I still take ARod first pick. ;-D
Yeah, that Cardinals lineup blows... :-?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:31 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Zito is God wrote:I like your arguement. I have a temptation to agree with you, and in some ways i do.

It doesn't, but NY's is better...

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:37 am

Zito is God wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:

It doesn't, but NY's is better...

Er....

Last year, the Cards scored 5.28 RPG over an average of 4.64, or about 14% better than average.

The Yanks scored 5.54 RPG over an average of 5.01, or about 10.5% better than average.

The Yanks have added Tino and Womack; the Cards have added Grudzielanek and X-Factor. No real edge there.

I'm going to have to say that the Cards have the better offense.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Zito is God » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:11 am

Cards lost an all star in Renteria and replaced him with a mediocre Eckstein. They also lost their backstop. Yanks have Giambi coming back on top of them already being favored last year.

Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers