Why I'd still take A-Rod first - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why I'd still take A-Rod first

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yankee Single Digits » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:12 pm

Because you were smoking peyote at the time of your draft? Seriously, you'd have to be blazed to take ARod over Pujols or Vlad, legit triple crown canidates with far better average. I'm not so sure that ARod will have as many steals, lowering his value. And, those numbers last year are what I would say he'll be around because Yankees Stadium isn't nearly as good as Arlington for hitters. Pujols is the obvious #1, he is one of the most consistent players every year and puts up MONSTER numbers.

-He's smoking peyote???? Your saying the quickest player to hit 350 bombs, highest played most transitional player in baseball in their time ( Ruth was a Pitcher w/ 94 wins and a era of 2.28) is not a triple crown canidate. Take A-Rod. I've got a list of the Top 100 from espn and cbs.sportsline that rate A-rod. Two have him number 1. 1 has Vlad. Then he picked A-rod second. Thats in the Espn Insider.
" Sultan of Swat, Iron Horse, Yankee Clipper, and Mickey"
Yankee Single Digits
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:15 pm

Yankee Single Digits wrote:
-He's smoking peyote???? Your saying the quickest player to hit 350 bombs, highest played most transitional player in baseball in their time ( Ruth was a Pitcher w/ 94 wins and a era of 2.28) is not a triple crown canidate. Take A-Rod. I've got a list of the Top 100 from espn and cbs.sportsline that rate A-rod. Two have him number 1. 1 has Vlad. Then he picked A-rod second. Thats in the Espn Insider.

People are trying to find an excuse to dethrone Arod as the #1 pick. I think it's funny. Why try to chance everyone's mind? I think he is #2 after Pujols.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yankee Single Digits » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:18 pm

meant paid not played...........
Yankee Single Digits
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jeff926 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:22 pm

i would pick arod. he is going to be better than last year. his average last year was one point higher than his lowest in his entire career. he will do much better this year at NY, and he will be better than pujols. i hate to say this, cause i am a mariners fan 1st, and a cardinals fan 2nd, but its the truth. arod will be better this year
you heard it here...
Seattle Mariners 2007 World Series Champs!
Felix Hernandez = 35 wins, 400K!
i can dream...
jeff926
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby domination » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:26 pm

Yankee Single Digits wrote:(Ruth was a Pitcher w/ 94 wins and a era of 2.28)

what i'm saying prolly doesn't go here but.....interesting fact, Did you know that Babe Ruth has the highest winning percentage against the yankees in the history of the game? i think he was 21-3.

Even though this has nothing to do with anything, i think its a funny thing to know.
Fear is the mind killer.
domination
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Cooner » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:28 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Because you were smoking peyote at the time of your draft? Seriously, you'd have to be blazed to take ARod over Pujols or Vlad, legit triple crown canidates with far better average. I'm not so sure that ARod will have as many steals, lowering his value. And, those numbers last year are what I would say he'll be around because Yankees Stadium isn't nearly as good as Arlington for hitters. Pujols is the obvious #1, he is one of the most consistent players every year and puts up MONSTER numbers.

now that's some intelligent arguing... "you're on crack, these guys are better, and it's obvious you're wrong." i guess quantity and quality don't always equate... :-°

personally i'm staying away from a-rod this year, until he's proven he can get the job done. I agree with Cub's single intelligent argument, that ARod's steals will most likely drop, and his steals are the one thing that makes him a contender for the top spot. That said, you can make a good argument for 5-7 guys to be number one, so I'm just gonna sit back and hope you don't take my guy! :-B
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:29 pm

Do people realize that 04 was the worst season he's had since 1997? The ball park thing just doesn't convince me. He hit great at Safeco which is a much tougher to hit in. He needed a year to adjust in NY, now it's time to play. I expect a big rebound.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yankee Single Digits » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:31 pm

Huge
Yankee Single Digits
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:33 pm

you make a decent argument for arod #1 and that is your choice if you have the #1 pick but here is my #1 reason for taking pujols first.....

pujols last 2 years numbers.......

43hrs, 137 runs, 124 rbis, .359
46 , 133 , 123, .331

arods last 2 year numbers

47 hrs, 124 runs, 118 rbis, .298
36 , 112 , 106 .286

so by passing on arods 40 more steals he has had the last 2 years i get a average of 4 more hrs, 15 more runs scored, 11 more rbis, and about 45 more points in BA.....

the BA difference is the big one imo.....BA is the toughest category to play catch up in imo in roto...if u fall behind in it, it can take a while to catch up if u ever do catch up, where as steals u can go get a crawford or pierre to improve those numbers.......

i am taking pujols no doubt with #1
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:46 pm

Yoda wrote:Do people realize that 04 was the worst season he's had since 1997? The ball park thing just doesn't convince me. He hit great at Safeco which is a much tougher to hit in. He needed a year to adjust in NY, now it's time to play. I expect a big rebound.
There is no adjustment. NY is murder on right handers, Texas is a boon for every hitter. There is no way around it. We have seen what Vlad can do. We have seen what Pujols can do. From his experience at Yankees stadium, we can speculate that ARod should come close to, maybe a bit better this year. Not good enough for me to take him over Vlad or Pujols. And, I think you forgot as little as 2 years ago Vlad was a SB MONSTER. In 02, he hit 39 HR, 40 SB, scored 106 runs, 111 RBI, and batted .336 IN MONTREAL. He won't hit 40 SB again, but I can easily see him reach the 20-25 range as he gets healthier from the back. Vlad has batted over .300 in every year except his rookie. Pujols has been a monster every year hes been in the league. I just don't see why you would take ARod over these two. Because of some extra stolen bases? He doesnt even play a shallow position anymore, which was a huge part of his value. I'll take him 3rd or 4th. But, Pujols and Vlad have a stranglehold on 1-2 for me.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers