How to Rank Players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How to Rank Players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to Rank Players

Postby Lime » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:26 pm

What does it consist of? Ranking in terms of how good you think the players will be in 2005? Or, ranking in terms of how good, in your opinion, the general fantasy baseball player thinks the players will be in 2005?

I bring this up because after I posted a positional ranking, someone told me "Player X" should be ahead of "Player Y" because "Player X" is viewed, from a general consensus, as the better player.

But to me, when I'm ranking players at any given position, I'm basing it on how I think each player will perform in 2005. I don't really put much stock into how the player is projected from the "general point of view". Am I wrong for this?
Lime
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 270
Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: London, Ontario

Postby Nuclear29 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:33 pm

No, you're not wrong, but it's always nice to hear another point of view.
You go there once, you'll be there twice.
Nuclear29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 451
Joined: 16 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ...in a Strange Land.

Re: How to Rank Players

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:35 pm

Lime wrote:What does it consist of? Ranking in terms of how good you think the players will be in 2005? Or, ranking in terms of how good, in your opinion, the general fantasy baseball player thinks the players will be in 2005?

I bring this up because after I posted a positional ranking, someone told me "Player X" should be ahead of "Player Y" because "Player X" is viewed, from a general consensus, as the better player.

But to me, when I'm ranking players at any given position, I'm basing it on how I think each player will perform in 2005. I don't really put much stock into how the player is projected from the "general point of view". Am I wrong for this?


It would be nice to know both, so that you don't take a guy too high who you think will do well and nobody else does.
Last edited by slomo007 on Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:36 pm

absolutely not. everybody has their own opinions on how players will perform. say i think brad ausmus will be the best offensive catcher this year, but everybody else thinks im an idiot. but i've watched all the astros games this year and noticed he makes a lot of contact with pitches and when he puts it in play and fantastic grab is made. i think with a few tweaks in his swing he can spray the ball all over the field.

of course i dont really think this. but if you feel another guy is hands down better than another, then put him ahead of him!
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4346
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sooner711 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:38 pm

What I like to do is make my own rankings, then get an average draft position for each player and compare the numbers. You can use any number of sites avg draft position lists or combine a bunch of mocks to get an idea of where each player will be drafted.
sooner711
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 635
Joined: 23 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:39 pm

sooner711 wrote:What I like to do is make my own rankings, then get an average draft position for each player and compare the numbers. You can use any number of sites avg draft position lists or combine a bunch of mocks to get an idea of where each player will be drafted.


Leave it to a Sooner to give the best advice! I do the same thing, and I'm a Sooner, so we're in complete agreeance.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rico The Retard » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:44 pm

the best way to rank fantasy players is to put them in order of how good they are........ :-D
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5820
Joined: 16 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Magical Valley Of Love And Happiness

Postby RynMan » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:56 pm

Rico The Retard wrote:the best way to rank fantasy players is to put them in order of how good they are........ :-D


Ah geeez. Thats what ive been doing wrong.... :~( :~(
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby bigken117 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:04 pm

my rankings are pretty simple...all things being equal, who would I rather have? I also tend to like the higher reward players over vets on the decline. Think bell curve, I would take a guy on the left before the dude on the right.
Image

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12879
(Past Year: 248)
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: posed in an awkward stance

Postby Rico The Retard » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:30 am

RynMan wrote:
Rico The Retard wrote:the best way to rank fantasy players is to put them in order of how good they are........ :-D


Ah geeez. Thats what ive been doing wrong.... :~( :~(


lol, ya thats what does it... :-D
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5820
Joined: 16 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Magical Valley Of Love And Happiness


Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 6:40 hours
(and 97 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact