How to Rank Players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How to Rank Players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to Rank Players

Postby Lime » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:26 pm

What does it consist of? Ranking in terms of how good you think the players will be in 2005? Or, ranking in terms of how good, in your opinion, the general fantasy baseball player thinks the players will be in 2005?

I bring this up because after I posted a positional ranking, someone told me "Player X" should be ahead of "Player Y" because "Player X" is viewed, from a general consensus, as the better player.

But to me, when I'm ranking players at any given position, I'm basing it on how I think each player will perform in 2005. I don't really put much stock into how the player is projected from the "general point of view". Am I wrong for this?
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nuclear29 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:33 pm

No, you're not wrong, but it's always nice to hear another point of view.
You go there once, you'll be there twice.
Nuclear29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: How to Rank Players

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:35 pm

Lime wrote:What does it consist of? Ranking in terms of how good you think the players will be in 2005? Or, ranking in terms of how good, in your opinion, the general fantasy baseball player thinks the players will be in 2005?

I bring this up because after I posted a positional ranking, someone told me "Player X" should be ahead of "Player Y" because "Player X" is viewed, from a general consensus, as the better player.

But to me, when I'm ranking players at any given position, I'm basing it on how I think each player will perform in 2005. I don't really put much stock into how the player is projected from the "general point of view". Am I wrong for this?

It would be nice to know both, so that you don't take a guy too high who you think will do well and nobody else does.
Last edited by slomo007 on Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby cordscords » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:36 pm

absolutely not. everybody has their own opinions on how players will perform. say i think brad ausmus will be the best offensive catcher this year, but everybody else thinks im an idiot. but i've watched all the astros games this year and noticed he makes a lot of contact with pitches and when he puts it in play and fantastic grab is made. i think with a few tweaks in his swing he can spray the ball all over the field.

of course i dont really think this. but if you feel another guy is hands down better than another, then put him ahead of him!
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby sooner711 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:38 pm

What I like to do is make my own rankings, then get an average draft position for each player and compare the numbers. You can use any number of sites avg draft position lists or combine a bunch of mocks to get an idea of where each player will be drafted.
sooner711
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:39 pm

sooner711 wrote:What I like to do is make my own rankings, then get an average draft position for each player and compare the numbers. You can use any number of sites avg draft position lists or combine a bunch of mocks to get an idea of where each player will be drafted.

Leave it to a Sooner to give the best advice! I do the same thing, and I'm a Sooner, so we're in complete agreeance.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Rico The Retard » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:44 pm

the best way to rank fantasy players is to put them in order of how good they are........ :-D
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby RynMan » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:56 pm

Rico The Retard wrote:the best way to rank fantasy players is to put them in order of how good they are........ :-D

Ah geeez. Thats what ive been doing wrong.... :~( :~(
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bigken117 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:04 pm

my rankings are pretty simple...all things being equal, who would I rather have? I also tend to like the higher reward players over vets on the decline. Think bell curve, I would take a guy on the left before the dude on the right.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Rico The Retard » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:30 am

RynMan wrote:
Rico The Retard wrote:the best way to rank fantasy players is to put them in order of how good they are........ :-D

Ah geeez. Thats what ive been doing wrong.... :~( :~(

lol, ya thats what does it... :-D
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers