A year is a long time in Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A year is a long time in Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NZF » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:41 pm

djacks wrote:I'd like to know why everyone thinks Tejada's 150 RBI last year were a fluke? He's a great clutch hitter in a very good lineup...and how in the world is Sosa gonna hurt him?!? Granted he may not get 150 RBI again this year, but that doesn't make it a fluke...he's certainly capable of doing it again.

In 2002 Tejada had more AB's than in 2004, had more hits, just as many HR's and with a similar average, yet hit 20 less RBI's.

Quite simply getting 150 odd RBI's requires a certain amount of good luck. It's more likely Tejada gets around 125 this season.

As for Sosa hurting or helping his production. Let me ask you this question. Where do you think the Orioles will bat Tejada and Sosa in their re-vamped lineup?
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:09 pm

Great post NZF - I agree with what you are saying 100%.

There is one player in particular that I did a 180 with this offseason: Bobby Abreu. He had a career yr - no way he repeats it - no way. I was all over him last yr but I didnt see that coming. He is not a 1st rd player.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby crapshooter » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:20 pm

What did Angel Berroa do to change your opinion??????
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZF » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:41 pm

When he finally started playing every day last season in September, he hit over .320. He may or may not reproduce his 2003 production but he'll certainly be worth the risk (in comparison to last season) considering where you'll be able to get him.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:03 pm

My perceived value of Steve Finley last year was much lower than it is this year. The guy has shown that he is developing late power. Im not valuing him extremely high, but I will at least look at him this year, as opposed to last year.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:57 pm

I would say Livan Hernandez. I went from totally ignoring him last year to being pretty high on him as a 3rd or 4th starter. Solid all around pitcher.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby firemanx » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:36 am

my two return players this yr are Derek Lowe and Angel Berroa.

Derek Lowe - He had a bad yr last year with the whole contract dilema, and all that stuff. He moves to a pitchers park that even when he gives up a Fly ball it will be hard to get it out of the park on him. He is a groundball pitcher and will succede in LA.

Angel Berroa - When he returned last yr from the migranes and other injuries he put up solid numbers for a SS. Only looking for improvement this year
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2356864#2356864

firemanx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

predictions

Postby Willie3101 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:49 pm

doesnt it seem like a million years ago when kevin millwood was a braves and appeared to be the next great pitcher in the braves line of success? went to philly, threw a no-no and fell apart (14-12 and 4+ era)... i think that is just the affect philly/NYM has had on players lately (except thome and maybe piazza)... now he is back in a system where SP seems to be somewhat strong (Lee and Sabathia) maybe he can rebound back to his 18-8 and 3.24 era of 2002

Colon is another one... 2002 10-4 for clevland and 10-4 for montreal with a combined 2.93 ERA, but ever since it was been a slide down...15-13 with a 3.87 era in 2003 and a 18-12 recond in 04 with a dismal 5 era... maybe he can rebound this season along with jarod washburn (18-6 with a 3.15 era in 2002, but ever since has struggled). an above 4 era the past two years, had a winning record last year maybe he can team with colon to improve to there 2002 stats.
Is it possible that if colon and washburn both revert back to their 2002 forms that the Angels could be one of the best teams in baseball? good hitting and and a good #1 and 2 pitch with an average 3-5.
Let's play two!
Willie3101
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers