"Targeting" Players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

"Targeting" Players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

"Targeting" Players

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:00 pm

I hear a lot of people say that they're "targeting" certain players in their up-coming drafts/auctions. What do you guys mean when say that? Are you basically trying to forecast sleepers, or are you looking for players that you think might slip a round or two farther than they should?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby fantasyfiend » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:23 pm

When you "target" a player, that usually means your willing to take him a little earlier then his average value....to gauruntee yourself that player.

(atleast thats how i use it)
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby jellyroll » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:37 pm

fantasyfiend wrote:When you "target" a player, that usually means your willing to take him a little earlier then his average value....to gauruntee yourself that player.

(atleast thats how i use it)

ditto.
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:54 pm

An example would be me targetting Aramis Ramirez in last year's draft. I figured he'd be undervalued in my buddies league and that he'd produce as one of the best third baseman, so I booked him as my 3B for the draft and filled my other positions. Then when it came time, in the mid-rounds, I picked him up.

It worked out pretty well ;-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:56 pm

How many players do you usually target in a draft/auction? Two? Three? More?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby bleach168 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:13 pm

StlSluggers wrote:How many players do you usually target in a draft/auction? Two? Three? More?

As many players as my projections dictate. Targeted players are still expected to outperform the round in which they are drafted. So as long as they do perform up to expectations, you can draft an entire team of targeted players.

Of course, if you are wrong, it can backfire really badly. Last year I targeted Contreras and drafted him earlier then where he was usually going. You can guess how that turned out.
Last edited by bleach168 on Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:15 pm

bleach168 wrote:Of course, if you are wrong, it can backfire really badly.

That's where I was hoping this would go. I've never targeted specific players for that reason. I've always targeted positions. I play points leagues, and usually try to make round:position predictions for the league and then draft accordingly so that I can "get the jump" on the other teams.

Does that seem vastly different than targeting specific players?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bleach168 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:25 pm

StlSluggers wrote:

That's where I was hoping this would go. I've never targeted specific players for that reason. I've always targeted positions. I play points leagues, and usually try to make round:position predictions for the league and then draft accordingly so that I can "get the jump" on the other teams.

I don't play point leagues, but from what you are describing, yes it does sound different. It sounds like you are identifying which positions are undervalued in your league and drafting those positions higher. Not much risk involved in doing that :p
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby Tavish » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:05 pm

StlSluggers wrote:

I don't think its vastly different, although I think your method can either be A) more dangerous or B) dropped early in the draft and sending you onto a different strategy. I'll eleborate later on tonight if need be (damn work getting in the way of FBB time), but I wanted to respond because its a very interesting question.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby crapshooter » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:28 pm

I always target some young pitchers that I can get at the end of the draft for $1-$2.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers