Cabrera vs. Teixeira - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cabrera vs. Teixeira

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:21 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:How about because he does it at a shallower position, and did it in 60 less AB (545 for Tex to MCabs 603) You think MCab would have beat him in runs, HR, or RBI with him getting 58 more AB in? Plus, maybe Tex isn't hurt in the first month? I don't understand what yourlove affair with MCab is.


I actually don't love anyone. I try to be as objective as possible when it comes to fantasy baseball. Because when you start falling in love with certain players, you'll only end up disappointed.

That being said, your basis for why Teixeira will be better than Miggy is totally subjective. You are basing your entire opinion of two players on what happened in one season. You have failed to provide any other evidence other than Teix had 50 less ABs and hit more HRs therefore he will be better. If your argument included a comparison of minor league/colleg accomplishments, then it may hold water. But the fact is, even if we just compared the two based on 04, what Miggy did at 21 years old is FAR more impressive than what Teix did at 24.
How is putting up same RBI and R and better HR in 60 less AB not evidence? He should get more AB this year, which logically, would mean more R, RBI, and HR. MCab won't get much more than he did last year. He also had monster college stats, which is why he was the 3rd overall pick, but I'm not sure where I can find those.


Miggy's upside is far greater than Teixeira's at this point. Teixeira was not puttin the kind of numbers Miggy was putting up at the same age. End of discussion.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:26 pm

Because he was in the minors? Didn't you in another thread compare Tex to Beltre? Wouldn't you think an MCab to Beltre (early 20-21) would be more appropiate (good seasons at young age, then various struggles?) End of discussion? Thats hilarious, just wave off the numbers and base your argument on potential and age alone.
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:34 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Because he was in the minors? Didn't you in another thread compare Tex to Beltre? Wouldn't you think an MCab to Beltre (early 20-21) would be more appropiate (good seasons at young age, then various struggles?) End of discussion? Thats hilarious, just wave off the numbers and base your argument on potential and age alone.


Wave off the numbers? Their numbers are scarily similar for 04 and I already talked about this. So Teixeira had 50 less ABs and therefore makes him a superior player given a whole season?

Also, when you evaluate players, would you compare someone like Miggy and Teixeira without accounting for the three years difference in age?

I can't even believe you are comparing Beltre to Cabrera at this stage in his career. That is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:10 pm

You compared Beltre to Tex, its like the same thing... I don't know how you can think that 50 less AB isn't of importance, but whatever. Its pointless to argue this, so lets just wait until the end of the season? But I'll say Tex puts up better numbers. (And to warn you, the last time I got into a fight about a Texas player with a Yankee fan (M Young finishing ahead of Jeter, vs Gucci Baseballs), I ended up winning.)
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:19 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:You compared Beltre to Tex, its like the same thing... I don't know how you can think that 50 less AB isn't of importance, but whatever. Its pointless to argue this, so lets just wait until the end of the season? But I'll say Tex puts up better numbers. (And to warn you, the last time I got into a fight about a Texas player with a Yankee fan (M Young finishing ahead of Jeter, vs Gucci Baseballs), I ended up winning.)


OK. NOw you are making stuff up. Where did I compare Beltre to Teixeira? And no, it isn't the same thing.

50 AB is a pretty weak argument versus 3 years of age difference IMO. I think most people would tell you the same.

You can warn me all you want. I am not the one that predicted Miggy will hit 40 HRs or Teixeira will hit 50 HRs. I never said Miggy will put up better numbers than Teixeira because I don't know that. All I know is Miggy's 3 years younger and put up the same numbers in 04. That fact alone makes Miggy's ceiling higher but you disagree.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby chicksdigdalongball » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:22 pm

I'd go with Tex here. Seems like his numbers can still go up for a few more years. Like the age he brings to the table as well.
chicksdigdalongball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 62
Joined: 4 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cheap Seats

Postby jellyroll » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:34 pm

This year Tex, Next yeat =, following years Cab

it's hard to choose one over the other. but Tex will have more hrs this year but as Cab gets older the he'll increase power and ave.
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 527
Joined: 6 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: West Indies

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:43 pm

Yoda wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:You compared Beltre to Tex, its like the same thing... I don't know how you can think that 50 less AB isn't of importance, but whatever. Its pointless to argue this, so lets just wait until the end of the season? But I'll say Tex puts up better numbers. (And to warn you, the last time I got into a fight about a Texas player with a Yankee fan (M Young finishing ahead of Jeter, vs Gucci Baseballs), I ended up winning.)


OK. NOw you are making stuff up. Where did I compare Beltre to Teixeira? And no, it isn't the same thing.

50 AB is a pretty weak argument versus 3 years of age difference IMO. I think most people would tell you the same.

You can warn me all you want. I am not the one that predicted Miggy will hit 40 HRs or Teixeira will hit 50 HRs. I never said Miggy will put up better numbers than Teixeira because I don't know that. All I know is Miggy's 3 years younger and put up the same numbers in 04. That fact alone makes Miggy's ceiling higher but you disagree.
3 years age difference is weaker. Maybe MCab hit his ceiling at 21? We don't know. I didn't predict Tex will hit 50. I believe I said somewhere in the 40-45 range. And why do you think he put up the same numbers? He had less HR, and same RBI and run in more AB. That means, if they have the same AB, Tex does better. Both have had 2 full seasons in the MLB right? But it is pointless to argue, so we'll see at the end of the season, ok?
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:54 pm

3 years age difference is weaker. Maybe MCab hit his ceiling at 21? We don't know. I didn't predict Tex will hit 50. I believe I said somewhere in the 40-45 range. And why do you think he put up the same numbers? He had less HR, and same RBI and run in more AB. That means, if they have the same AB, Tex does better. Both have had 2 full seasons in the MLB right? But it is pointless to argue, so we'll see at the end of the season, ok?


Look, I think Teixeira has terrific talent. But let's compare 04 side by side for fantasy purposes:

Player A: 603 AB, 101 R, 33 HR, 112 RBI, 5 SB, .294
Player B: 545 AB, 101 R, 38 HR, 112 RBI, 4 SB, .281

Those numbers are ridiculously close it isn't even funny. Would you seriously say player B had the better season because he achieved his numbers with 58 less AB? I wouldn't and most people looking at this objectively shouldn't.

Now throw in the fact that Player A is 21 years old and Player B is 24 years old. It is still very impressive for a 24 year old with limited big league experience can put up those numbers. But, wouldn't you think that it is far more impressive that a 21 year old can put up those type of numbers?

Consider this also. While Miggy, as a 21 year old put up numbers that most players would pump their bodies full of animal hormones for, Teixeira was not even in professional baseball. He was a hot young prospect who put up eye popping numbers at GT at the same age. Scary how good Cabrera really is when you think about it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:25 pm

You know whats scarier? Pujols was putting up a .300+ AVG at that age. I think the AB, being a more quantitive factor than the whole age thing, is a more valid point. Tex hit a HR in every 14.3 AB. Extrapolating that to MCabs, that means he hits 4 more HRs for a total of 42. He put up an RBI every 4.9 AB. Meaning 11 more RBIs for a total of 123. He puts up a run every 5.4 AB. Meaning 10 more runs for 111. So if Tex gets the same amount of AB, which he probably does if he doesn't strain an oblique in April, he ends up with better numbers across the board except in average. So, if you still think they were ridiculously close, then go for it. And, Tex, in a monster season, could hit 50 HR. He has that power. MCab, I doubt he will ever hit 50. 40, yeah. But, he just doesn't have the power that Tex has.
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact