Rap music - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rap music

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Rico The Retard » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:49 pm

ensanimal wrote:don't know if it is considered "rap" or not, but i do enjoy k-os.

can someone please explain the difference between hip-hop and rap? :-?

i dunno i think there both the same with the "yo homie wuts off da hizzle, lemme drop some ill rhymes playas"
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:54 pm

Rap's easily my favorite genre of music. I must say that I'm not a fan of most rock, although I try to stay open to everything.

Good artists, though this may be a bit of a repeat of what others have said:
Tupac...best rapper period.
Notorious BIG
SnoopDogg...I listen almost exclusively to his Doggystyle album. His others don't come close to match it, although a couple of tracks here or there are decent. The new track he made that they play a lot, I forget the name, is downright terrible.
Eminem
Dr. Dre (Both Chronics are great)
Nas (Illmatic is the best, Stillmatic is decent, but Illmatic's the definite classic)
Kanye West is as mainstream as I get...
Public Enemy

FatGuyWithAMullet's playlist is pretty good. I'm not really into that underground stuff like Deltron3030 (the beats are way too funky for me), but Jedi Mind Tricks is decent.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pedantic » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:00 pm

LBJackal wrote:
domination wrote:from the uk, the streets.

;-D

They're pretty good. I like Eminem, Dre, Snoop (before this new crap with the "soulful" garbage singers like Pharrell and whoever else he sings with), Ludacris, Jay-Z, Styles of Beyond (Small band from Cali, doubt anyones heard of them), Royce 5'9, Busta Rhymes. Probably more, but that's all I can think of. 50 Cent, Nelly, and Chingy make me sick.... :-P

Ugh, I hate The Streets. Just thinking about them makes me want to hurl. They're like soccer-ized Eminem. I agree that 50 Cent is crap though. Anything G-Unit should be put out their misery. Eminem makes me feel like pulling my hair out. I hate Kanye West, too. Any artist from St. Louis should die. If I see Pharrell in another video, I will stab the TV with a butterknife.

Some of my favorites:
A-Town: Ludacris (IMO, one of the more creative artists today -- he's at least good for a couple laughs every song), Outkast, Lil Jon and Trillville (for those times you need to get some crunk in your system)
Houston: Slim Thug (not all Houston rappers suck)
Cashville: Young Buck
NO: Lil' Wayne and the rest of the Cash Money clique, and, yes, even some Master P
MIA: Trick Daddy
Chi-Town: Twista (the evil rap imp)
QB: Mobb Deep and Nas
Staten Island: Wu Tang Clan
BX: Terror Squad
BK: Fabolous, Jay-Z (some)
Harlem: Cam'ron
Yonkers: Jadakiss, DMX's early, angst-filled stuff (before he ran out of stuff to rap about)
Oakland: Tupac (some anyway)
South-Central: Kurupt, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Westside Connection
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby free » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:06 pm

outkast, mos def, common, ROOTS, talib kweli are all top notch ;-D
kanye, jigga, & mase for the feel good stuff
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:25 pm

perlick29 wrote:
blankman wrote:I like a lot of rap and hate a lot of it as well :-b

Tupac is my favorite, along with
Biggie
Jay-Z
Eminem (before Encore, which was a downright embarrassment :-P )
50 Cent
Dre

Blankman I'm a hip hop guy myself, be specific, what did you not like about about it? by the way I like Big Daddy Kane from the old school, and toss slick rick on that list just for fun.

OH and NAS.

What rappers don't I like? Or, why didn't I like Encore? I hate Lil Jon and similar rappers that just scream about nothing. I thought Encore was way to political, especially coming from some one as politcally ignorant as Eminem, but more importantly, so much of it seemed forced to me. I did like a few of the songs, but too many of them were garbage for me to like the album.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby logan » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:40 pm

ensanimal wrote:don't know if it is considered "rap" or not, but i do enjoy k-os.

can someone please explain the difference between hip-hop and rap? :-?

this pretty much sums it up from one of the beter artists to grace the mic

Rap is something you do Hip Hop is something you live- KRS One

taken from here http://www.gavinsblog.com/index.php?p=1019
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby perlick29 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:50 pm

Hmm some interesting posts after I posted.

Blankman, I agree MOSH was a political song and the song about michael jackson was for the MTV folk, but how good were his songs that he said practically nothing in? No one can flow like he can, although Busta Rhymes was actually pretty decent at an eminem like flow. Crazy In Love, Like Toy Soldiers, Evil Deeds, Forgot my Name, My first single, those were all great songs. Hate to disagree but that was a very good album, not the Marshall Mathers LP, but still very good.

Now, onto another list:

Pedantic wrote:
LBJackal wrote:
domination wrote:from the uk, the streets.

;-D

They're pretty good. I like Eminem, Dre, Snoop (before this new crap with the "soulful" garbage singers like Pharrell and whoever else he sings with), Ludacris, Jay-Z, Styles of Beyond (Small band from Cali, doubt anyones heard of them), Royce 5'9, Busta Rhymes. Probably more, but that's all I can think of. 50 Cent, Nelly, and Chingy make me sick.... :-P

Ugh, I hate The Streets. Just thinking about them makes me want to hurl. They're like soccer-ized Eminem. I agree that 50 Cent is crap though. Anything G-Unit should be put out their misery. Eminem makes me feel like pulling my hair out. I hate Kanye West, too. Any artist from St. Louis should die. If I see Pharrell in another video, I will stab the TV with a butterknife.

Some of my favorites:
A-Town: Ludacris (IMO, one of the more creative artists today -- he's at least good for a couple laughs every song), Outkast, Lil Jon and Trillville (for those times you need to get some crunk in your system)
Houston: Slim Thug (not all Houston rappers suck)
Cashville: Young Buck
NO: Lil' Wayne and the rest of the Cash Money clique, and, yes, even some Master P
MIA: Trick Daddy
Chi-Town: Twista (the evil rap imp)
QB: Mobb Deep and Nas
Staten Island: Wu Tang Clan
BX: Terror Squad
BK: Fabolous, Jay-Z (some)
Harlem: Cam'ron
Yonkers: Jadakiss, DMX's early, angst-filled stuff (before he ran out of stuff to rap about)
Oakland: Tupac (some anyway)
South-Central: Kurupt, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Westside Connection

Obviously I love Eminem so I'd have to say if you dont like him there's no way to change that. I like 50's debut album but don't care for G-Unit so we pretty much agree

A-Town- Ludacris- I'll take it he's acceptable. Outkast has maybe the most original sound. Lil John doesnot rap as I'm sure you know, he's the hype man and he does a good job.

Slim Thug- nothing special, wouldn't buy his album.
Trick Daddy- ;-D
Twista- ;-D ;-D
Mobb Deep for some reason isn't really me, but NAS ;-D
Wu Tang- good stuff
NO and the cash money. :-t They are eye candy rappers, I hear the samething about how much money and cars they have although I do like Manny Fresh as a producer, good beats for party music but cash money is just no good.
Terror Squad- Not even near the level with out Pun, they fought with eminem and as expected, lost.
Cam'ron- kind of an acquired taste, I dont like his new song shake but he's ok in my book.
Yonkers- Being from New Rochelle I'm literally three towns over. I loved DMX growing up and Jadakiss' new album was very good.
Tupac-of course ;-D
Not a fan of south central though, sorry.

Those are just my opinions not facts of course, feel free to debate. Kanye is a better producer as is Pharell, I agree there. I liked Joe Budden but haven't heard anything from him recently. I can't stand much of Ja rule anymore I didn't even love I'm from New York like everyone else did.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:21 pm

Beastie Boys
House of Pain
Cypress Hill
Beck
Everlast
Primus

Those are about the closest I will get to rap (one guess at what my racial background is. :-D). Public Enemy was a constant resident in my tape player (err CD player) when Nations and then Fear of a Black Planet came out. They just didn't fit my list well enough to be included.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:09 pm

Well, I have to say that Encore has a spot in my CD player and hasn't been removed since the day it came out :-) .

Sure, Mosh is very political, and quite frankly I highly disagree with Eminem's opinion on that matter, but I found the rest of the CD great. Mosh has a great beat as well, so I don't even skip that track when it comes on. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:19 pm

Mos Def made the last good rap album with Black on Both sides.
Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul and the individual members solo - there is some good crossover with De La Soul and Q-Tip.

For something more funky how about
US3 - the album with the Miles Davis cover Cantaloup/Flip Fantasia is ;-D
and the Diggable Planets.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk