Keeper leagues: How many do you keep? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeper leagues: How many do you keep?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby curious_george_43545 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:27 pm

My league is 4 pitchers and 4 hitters with rosters of 14 hitters and 9 pitchers so while it's H2H it's also good to atleast get about 4 good pitchers.
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rico The Retard » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:31 pm

i personally like 3 pitchers and 5 hitters
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby ramble2 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:03 am

My league does things a little differently. At the end of each season, each team is allotted a certain number of 'Contract Years' (CYs) based on where they finish in the standings. These CYs can use to sign players to various length contracts. Each year of a player contract costs one CY, and each player you keep costs you a draft pick (starting from your 1st pick). Last year teams in my league kept from 2 to 8 players, and signed players from 1 to 4 year deals. After players finish their contract, they are restricted free agents. This means that other teams may make bids on that player to sign them away from the original team. The original team has the option (if they have enough CYs) to match any offers made to free agents on their team.

Any keeper league inherently favors better teams - presumably because they have the better players to keep! One nice thing about the CY system is that it mitigates this tendency a bit by awarding more CYs to teams that finished lower in the standings. Overall, you see keeper-worthy players moving from better to worse teams. Makes it more of a challenge to stay on top, and adds a lot of strategy.

It's been a ton of fun, and keeps people active in the off-season too. Here's a link to the rules page if you are interested.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:05 am

I am starting a 16 team roto keeper this season. We are going 25 man rosters and keeping 10, regardless of record. Many of our guys are fairly knowledgeable, but like the draft day fun.

I dont think 10 is enough, but I know more than they do....so I am living with it. With no restrictions I may keep 10 hitters!
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby ramble2 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:17 am

kcbelieves wrote:I am starting a 16 team roto keeper this season. We are going 25 man rosters and keeping 10, regardless of record. Many of our guys are fairly knowledgeable, but like the draft day fun.

I dont think 10 is enough, but I know more than they do....so I am living with it. With no restrictions I may keep 10 hitters!

I'd be wary about keeping 10 hitters. We have a guy in our league who is a genius for grabbing hitters. Every year he's top 2 in the power categories. Of course, I'd do the same if I waited until round 11 or 12 to take a pitcher like he does. If he had an even decent pitching staff, he'd walk away with the league. You don't want to be that guy ...
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:22 am

Well we are using many PCT cats like Winning %, Save %, Opponents BA, etc.

I think I may just go to try and be good in 2-3 cats (We are 8x8) and focus on offense.

I am one of those people who barely reach the IP standards in their leagues, so keeping mainly offense, and having so many to keep will do well for me. Since I am commish, I will at least help myself in that regard.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Cooner » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:24 am

8 team 6x6 keeper league with 14 keepers of any type, starting 10 hitters and 9 pitchers.

With fewer teams, the larger number of keepers works a bit better in my opinion, because even the lower teams have 14 guys they want. Often the better teams have 16-18, meaning they're often trying to trade some of those guys in the offseason. Also, it's working because we almost always have a couple guys in the pennant race who are willing to deal young studs for better, old studs.

I guess I'm just saying that more keepers is fine as long as you have an active group of owners ;-D
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Slow Pitch » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:45 am

12 teams, 5 keepers
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers