Keeper leagues: How many do you keep? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeper leagues: How many do you keep?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper leagues: How many do you keep?

Postby benjapage » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:27 pm

my re-draft league has decided to go keeper. we're debating how many players we should be allowed to keep each year.

i'm looking for input on how many you guys keep, and any other helpful input that will allow and encourage all the teams to remain fiercely competitive.

thanks.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:29 pm

We do 25 (more of a dynasty).

I don't see the point in only a handful of keepers. That is like having a salary cap.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

keeper

Postby docjones01 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:36 pm

12 team H2H points league.

Top 4 teams get 4 keepers.
Middle 4 get 5 keepers.
Bottom 4 get 6 keepers.

Players can be kept on rosters for 3 consecutive years, including trades. Then they hit waiver wire. Keeps top players in circulation.

We like it because it keeps the league fluid. Top teams can't hoard top players and it gives lower teams a better chance each year. Plus, with more talent hitting the wire each year, drafts are more interesting because of decent available players.

Won't work for everyone though.
Just Ridin' the Short Bus
docjones01
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Jivedude » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:42 pm

Unlimited.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mannin52 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:51 pm

My league keeps 5. we have been doing this for a few years and everyone loves it. few reason why is everyone still loves to draft, and if u have more keepers then 5 the draft is so dilluted that there's no pt. in drafting. another one is strategy, my team was stacked so i gotta think more on which ones i keep, otherwise its too easy. and let me tell u, nothing beats a good live draft!!
mannin52
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby benjapage » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:52 pm

do you guys find that when more players are kept, it is harder for the lower-end teams to bridge the gap?

there are a couple peeps in my league insisting that if 10 or more players are kept, some teams will have trouble getting back into the race--not just for this year, but in future years.

please discuss.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby ironman » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:58 pm

I'm in two leagues that keep 5 players. I'm also in two dynasty leagues that retain entire rosters from one season to the next. I've also been in 10 keeper leagues, which can suck if your team isn't very good.

One type of keeper I do is in a football league but could be applied to baseball. Basically its all based on when a player gets drafted. No players that were drafted in the first rounds can be kept. You can keep players that were drafted in rounds after that but the only catch is that you have to draft them three rounds earlier than the year before. So if a guy was drafted in round 4 and you decide to keep him. You must draft him in round 1. Round 5 picks draft in round 2 and so on. There's a cutoff at round 11 I believe where players drafted in round later than that all must be drafted at round 12. You keep as many or as few as you want. I realize that I didn't explain it fully and left out some stuff. I'd have to look at the league rules to get the full details.
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby ukjohn » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:05 pm

15 keepers, but each player has a salary because it's an auction draft. Makes it tough to have great keepers for a while.
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby shortsavage » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:02 pm

benjapage wrote:do you guys find that when more players are kept, it is harder for the lower-end teams to bridge the gap?

Of course it is harder to bridge the gap when more players are kept. But if you have a serious group of owners, it is way more fun! You have to scout prospects and know your stuff, opposed to only having to wait a year or so to neutralize a fool's draft.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby crapshooter » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:26 pm

Our league goes by the Rotisserrie Rule Book...the first year you keep you have to keep 7 but can keep up to 15. After the first year you are not required to keep any but can keep up to 15. When you draft a player you have him for three years unless you extend his contract after the 2nd year.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers