Why doesn't the Cafe create a Fantasy League??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why doesn't the Cafe create a Fantasy League???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thedude » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:09 pm

slomo007 wrote:
shortsavage wrote:I have a ton of ideas for draft-help related software (might start working on some sort of product this summer).

From my meetings with legal advisors to date, I have discovered one big speed bump. The licensing process for this kind of stuff is REALLY expensive. And if you don't get exclusive rights to your product, one of the big shots could easily rip it off, as the Cafe Fantasy Baseball would have to contain some big improvements (besides being free) to really absorb a decent chunk of the market.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Wouldn't you have to buy the MLBPA and STATS inc licenses? I highly doubt they're cheap.

that is where you get screwed the lincensing, player names, and making sure you have your stuff copyrighted. You would also need a bigger sever than the cafe currently has. The problem is, you would not get a big enough market share (at least in the first couple of seasons) to pay for all of the expenses (which will be greatest while the software is being devolped).
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:06 pm

Also, keep in mind that this is not an overnight process. You would have to develop the program(s), use a prototype for a season (to make sure it all works) and then you could release your product to the public. So, odds are you are debuting your site in 2007.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Pablo975 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:53 pm

As a media vet, I agree that it would be a tough sell to advertisers when ESPN, CBS, and Yahoo! have such established brand names, added value packages, and cross promotional opportunites. You would have to hold a huge share of the market to compete with them. And to get that market, you'd have to provide a kick ass, free product.

Problem is, Yahoo already does that.

BUT.....if for some reason, there were NO places to play for free, anywhere on the Net, then you have a shot.

I also agree with the poster who said a project like that would require a dedicated group of individuals who are in it for the long haul. Not a project for someone looking for "a job".....

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Justise » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:10 pm

As a programmer the thought of this sounds fun, but I wouldn't see it as a possible profit stream.

More then anything I'd be interested in just doing what one poster suggested and just convert his mock draft software for the web. That way what we really get is a larger base of people and utilize the time that all the other fantasy sites are down for the offseason. (Give me yahoo! I need my fix!!! hurry!)

Also, in conjuction with that, I would think it would be more a focus of becoming a full fledged respectable source for projections, mock drafts, and news. (Which we already are, just not very organized).
Justise
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mrmarley » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:21 pm

Hmmm....My post just got deleted, hopefully it was just an accident due to the person that had posted just before me using the msg board to spam...maybe mine just got deleted with theirs....anyway...let me try this again...

When I first saw this topic, it made me think of a really big cafe-only league.

Something like 96 people in 8 "sub-leagues/divisions" using free Yahoo leagues.

Two weeks prior to Yahoo official playoffs, the top 4 teams from each division would have their own playoff to see who wins the division. Then the winner of each division goes on to play the other division winners in an 8-team playoff. At that pt, an outside webpage would have to be used to keep track of the playoffs, but the stats could just be copied-and-pasted from each team's Yahoo league.

It could be really fun to have so many cafe-members competing in such a large "event". Too much work though? ;-D or :-t ?
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortsavage » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:04 pm

Wouldn't that league have to be head to head? If so, don't a majority of the Cafe members prefer Roto?
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Drdobs » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:43 pm

Alright...

First of all, I see the very valid points people are making with regard to the CBS and Yahoo having cross selling advantages but I still think everybody here is looking at this with a bit of tunnell vision.

As far as the licensing issue is concerned. Hey, everything comes at a cost and somebody has to play the game. You simply invest in the licensing, do it right, and charge your customers for the service you provide.

Again, CBS Sportsline, Yahoo, ESPN, etc ALL have pay league's but what happens when everybody in all the little "cafe's" around the country are all talking about that slick new site "www.X.com" that is so superior to the others and comes in at 90% of the price of the big boys?

Think about the fact that you could work to create this monster league only to see by the time it rolls around, one of the main guys like Yahoo/ESPN/Sportsline, whatever are fumbling a bit with their program and they decide they'd rather BUY yours than try to rebuild their own? Do you think there could be some profit in that??

The thing is, if there are programers around here that have the capability, intelligent people around here for market analysis, and others available for hard work research, this could be done...

As "HARD" as it seems to do, the reality is that when you are sitting in front of ANY emerging market there are always income opportunities associated with it.

Believe me, Yahoo, CBS, etc, they'd all LOVE for you to think it's impossible to duplicate, but the reality is that a good team could in fact pull this off within 2-3 years max.

I think it's something people around here should start seriously thinking about if they'd like to make an impact on the fantasy world.

Jon
Drdobs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Drdobs » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:47 pm

Now...........

With that being said, an early post commented on the thought that this topic was going to relate to all the Cafe members joining together to form what would be some kind of super league for this year.

I think that is a great idea actually and should be done. With the type of players around here I think it could be a lot of fun. We should be able to drum up at least 120 players and I think if you started the year with a 12 divisions of 10 teams/division and widdled it down to a champion that would create a lot of excitement around here.

What would be nice is if the Cafe sponsored a salary cap league. I know a lot of the fantasy players around here prefer 5X5, H2H, etc but I've been playing in Salary Cap league's for the past 5 years and quite frankly, they are a blast... In that scenerio everybody would play in the same league and play for the championship.

Jon
Drdobs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby xeifrank » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:47 pm

mrmarley wrote:Hmmm....My post just got deleted, hopefully it was just an accident due to the person that had posted just before me using the msg board to spam...maybe mine just got deleted with theirs....anyway...let me try this again...

When I first saw this topic, it made me think of a really big cafe-only league.

Something like 96 people in 8 "sub-leagues/divisions" using free Yahoo leagues.

Two weeks prior to Yahoo official playoffs, the top 4 teams from each division would have their own playoff to see who wins the division. Then the winner of each division goes on to play the other division winners in an 8-team playoff. At that pt, an outside webpage would have to be used to keep track of the playoffs, but the stats could just be copied-and-pasted from each team's Yahoo league.

It could be really fun to have so many cafe-members competing in such a large "event". Too much work though? ;-D or :-t ?

We did something kind of like that on another site (won't name it). We bantered around a few ideas, of how to make a unique league that got more than the normal 12 people involved but not a huge league that usually end up having half the league dead by the all-star break. Our ideas were, #1) 2 or 3 leagues depending on # of participants, break the leagues down by A, B, C, the top four finishers move up to the next league for the next year, bottom 4 move down. Anyone dropping out, gets replaced by next highest finisher from league below, and C league gets replinished by new owners the following year. This is similiar to the European soccer league structure..... #2) Again 2 or 3 leagues depending on how many people participated, at the midseason point (pick the date before the season starts), you take the top 12 teams from those 2 or 3 leagues, they re-draft in a Yahoo midseason league, everyone can still participate in those first half leagues if they'd like, but the midseason league becomes the champions league. That way you kind of get two seasons in one. We ended up going with a an offshoot of plan #2.

vr

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Drdobs » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:51 pm

Interesting....

Though I still think the way to go is Salary Cap myself.. :) Put everybody in the same league, let them fight it out with trade limits, salary fluctuations and player matchups...

Jon
Drdobs
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers