ESPN Fantasy Pages...time to delete the link from your favs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ESPN Fantasy Pages...time to delete the link from your favs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:45 pm

Count me among those that have no interest in paying for ESPN's services. If you search around for stats, you can usually find them, and for player information, there's always this great forum.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:52 pm

Yoda wrote:I agree with most of these... Unfortunately, they are big enough witha big enough customer base to miss anyone. Suckers will continue to pay them for their "insider" stuff. The best thing to do is just remember never to pay them and don't use their website.

I find their sports coverage to be marginal. They are supposed to be the leader in the industry but it seems like they are more concerned about their shareholders, corporate image and money than giving sports fans what they crave. It's really a shame what they ahve become.

I bet you would be suprised how little money is actually made on premium content subscriptions on places like ESPN and CBS. They have a monster marketing arm which brings people to their site, and advertisers know this. The vast majority of revenue is made off of the advertisers - not the subscribers. As more and more people are turned away by the lack of free services and content, the advertisers will eventually fall away too.

Essentially its a terrible decision on the part of the ESPNs and CBSs to not see that they have a built in cash cow in their advertisors who will continue to pay for advertising as long as thier sites get hits. As fewer people visit those places because they arent premium members the advertisors will see the fewer hits and will begin to pull away or demand that the cost to advertise there be reduced. Whoever is making the decision to try and upgrade each visitor into a subscriber clearly cant see the forest through the trees - its a terrible business move.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:59 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Essentially its a terrible decision on the part of the ESPNs and CBSs to not see that they have a built in cash cow in their advertisors who will continue to pay for advertising as long as thier sites get hits. As fewer people visit those places because they arent premium members the advertisors will see the fewer hits and will begin to pull away or demand that the cost to advertise there be reduced. Whoever is making the decision to try and upgrade each visitor into a subscriber clearly cant see the forest through the trees - its a terrible business move.
I agree. The problem is they view the people who visit their site as a revenue stream instead of as partners.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby jrad32 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:03 pm

It is very annoying. I started playing fantasy baseball with ESPN, but soon learned of better, cheaper providers. I will not be paying ESPN for the pleasure of checking out info I can get elsewhere for free.
Let's go Mets!
jrad32
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:05 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Yoda wrote:I agree with most of these... Unfortunately, they are big enough witha big enough customer base to miss anyone. Suckers will continue to pay them for their "insider" stuff. The best thing to do is just remember never to pay them and don't use their website.

I find their sports coverage to be marginal. They are supposed to be the leader in the industry but it seems like they are more concerned about their shareholders, corporate image and money than giving sports fans what they crave. It's really a shame what they ahve become.

I bet you would be suprised how little money is actually made on premium content subscriptions on places like ESPN and CBS. They have a monster marketing arm which brings people to their site, and advertisers know this. The vast majority of revenue is made off of the advertisers - not the subscribers. As more and more people are turned away by the lack of free services and content, the advertisers will eventually fall away too.

Essentially its a terrible decision on the part of the ESPNs and CBSs to not see that they have a built in cash cow in their advertisors who will continue to pay for advertising as long as thier sites get hits. As fewer people visit those places because they arent premium members the advertisors will see the fewer hits and will begin to pull away or demand that the cost to advertise there be reduced. Whoever is making the decision to try and upgrade each visitor into a subscriber clearly cant see the forest through the trees - its a terrible business move.

Oh I am well aware that they make 99% of their money from advertising. Especially with MSN at the helm... That is why I urge people to seek out other sources for sports.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Drdobs » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:13 pm

The problem though is that advertising dollars don't represent the most reliable source of income for the league's.

Subscriptions are still a major factor. If you have 10,000 people who are paying $25.95/game, you can't tell me that the $260,000 in revenue earned from that is meaningless. And that is just for one game in one sport.

A few programmers, a solid business plan and a lot of research and you should be able to produce a site superior to all that is out there.

Jon
Drdobs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:31 pm

Drdobs wrote:The problem though is that advertising dollars don't represent the most reliable source of income for the league's.

Subscriptions are still a major factor. If you have 10,000 people who are paying $25.95/game, you can't tell me that the $260,000 in revenue earned from that is meaningless. And that is just for one game in one sport.

A few programmers, a solid business plan and a lot of research and you should be able to produce a site superior to all that is out there.

Jon

jon - advertising dollars are by far the most reliable source of income for these sites. The subscription fees are a drop in the bucket. Of course, if you are talking about the 2n tier of fantasy sites - like sandbox and similar, then yes, the league fees are a much greater impact to them, but I still doubt its more than 50%.

I agree with what you are saying about starting a new site, but when talking about the majors - its all about the advertising. I dont have the actual numbers in front of me, but they shouldnt be that hard to find. Last time I did look at them was a couple yrs ago, and the advertsing revenue was in the 85-90% area of total revenue.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Drdobs » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:41 pm

Cornbread...

You may be interested in this thread I started earlier..

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=94445

I see the revenue possabilities of advertising, but advertising dollars will only flow in if those dollars spent are producing for the advertisers. A shrinking customer base will decrease advertising revenue for these companies. Mainting and earning a strong subscription base is key to the success of all publication oriented services.

This is why many magazines are virtually given away just so that they can produce revenue for advertisers.

I think we are seeing eye to eye here. Perpahs I worded something that sounds confusing, but everything you've said I've been basically in agreement with.

Jon
Drdobs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:23 pm

Who in the world pays for stats, which are readily available for free on Yahoo, MLB, every other baseball site, etc?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pablo975 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:37 pm

I agree, ESPNs website sucks. Until recently, I had an older PC that didn't load their pages fast at all. I finally quit going there.

As with most media outlets, ESPN should remember that CONTENT is what makes you successful., not flashy crap that is outdated 6 months later.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers