ESPN Fantasy Pages...time to delete the link from your favs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ESPN Fantasy Pages...time to delete the link from your favs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ESPN Fantasy Pages...time to delete the link from your favs

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:23 am

Has anyone noticed that ESPN has put just about their entire site this year into their pay/Insider nonsense. This includes their rankings and many of their stats. Like people are going to pay for their service and for articles from Funston and Karabell? Last year they messed up their Fantasy board with its new desgn, this year they seem intent on driving everyone away except those fools stupid enough top pay. They were not worth a lot to start withm now they are worth nothing.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:26 am

I noticed the same thing. It's going to be funny to watch their website fall. :-b
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:28 am

They started some of this last year, but left the basic stats alone. Now the site is basically worthless trash. They really have no clue.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby FF Newb but Lovin it » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:34 am

I signed up for the "edge" for football.......but was surprised and dissappointed that there is not just one EDGE. There is fantasy football edge, fantasy basketball edge, fantasy baseball edge. So now not only are they charging for their content.......but you have to pay for each fantasy sport you want. See you ESPN......you are going to get flushed down the fantasy toilet.
FF Newb but Lovin it
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pacman » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:35 am

I can live without ESPN's fantasy and baseball pages. They're HIGH if they think I'd give them one cent.

I assume the bean counters over there at ESPN.com have to realize that their page views will plummet this season. I guess they figure the revenue they'll get from (suckers) subscribers will be greater than the banner ad income they generated when their pages were free.

Go figure.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:43 am

Maybe...maybe not. All I know is that:

1. They are the only major fantasy provider that STILL does not offer a customizable/Commissioner-like product.

2. Their uptime and CS is probably the WORST in the industry.

3. Their content article-wise is laughable.

4. Their ublic leagues are not only trash (like most) but are by far the MOST expensive of the major providers.

5. The fantasy baseball board used to be one of the better ones around, now it is a graveyard thanks to an interface re-design which apparently was designed to get users to leave.

6. Any revenue they would get from users visiting their site, liking it (haha) and signing up for their product will now be gone.

I only found the site useful for basic stats, its Most Added/Dropped list and its avg draft selection list. Now it is not worth 1 red cent.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AKhomebrewer » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:06 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:I only found the site useful for basic stats, its Most Added/Dropped list and its avg draft selection list. Now it is not worth 1 red cent.

This is the stuff I visited. I'll miss it, but not as much as I'd miss my $ for such a limited product. Adios.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:39 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Maybe...maybe not. All I know is that:

1. They are the only major fantasy provider that STILL does not offer a customizable/Commissioner-like product.

2. Their uptime and CS is probably the WORST in the industry.

3. Their content article-wise is laughable.

4. Their ublic leagues are not only trash (like most) but are by far the MOST expensive of the major providers.

5. The fantasy baseball board used to be one of the better ones around, now it is a graveyard thanks to an interface re-design which apparently was designed to get users to leave.

6. Any revenue they would get from users visiting their site, liking it (haha) and signing up for their product will now be gone.

I only found the site useful for basic stats, its Most Added/Dropped list and its avg draft selection list. Now it is not worth 1 red cent.

I agree with most of these... Unfortunately, they are big enough witha big enough customer base to miss anyone. Suckers will continue to pay them for their "insider" stuff. The best thing to do is just remember never to pay them and don't use their website.

I find their sports coverage to be marginal. They are supposed to be the leader in the industry but it seems like they are more concerned about their shareholders, corporate image and money than giving sports fans what they crave. It's really a shame what they ahve become.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Drdobs » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:42 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:I only found the site useful for basic stats, its Most Added/Dropped list and its avg draft selection list. Now it is not worth 1 red cent.

Actually, it's that average draft list I find incredibly usefull! I hope they don't make that a feature that must be paid for this year. Otherwise, I agree, the fantasy offerings there are very low-end.

Jon
Drdobs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:44 pm

Yea, ESPN will lose all the veteran fantasy player business.. but then did it really have it in the first place? Many rarely went there in the first place. Casual fans will still go to ESPN, and will pay. My biggest complaint was when some of the articles off there MLB were made Insider... maybe didn't offer any advice, but they were fun reads.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers