Mozilla Thunderbird - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Mozilla Thunderbird

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby logan » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:43 am

slomo007 wrote:I'm not ignoring your question, I just don't use any email software because I have no need for it at the moment.

Although, if I had to use one, there is no doubt in my mind that I would use T-Bird over anything by Microsoft or even Eudora.

hey no prob. im in the same boat as in i really dont need one in the least i guess its just my techie geekieness that has a piqued interest. guessi could do waht i always do and jst test it out on my work comp before doing my home (ah work test bed pc's gotta love it ) ;-)
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:08 pm

slomo007 wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:Link.

Is that the link to check both of your email accounts, or is there a separate one for your engineering account?

Glad to hear the gmail one worked.

That's just the one that doesn't work. Here's a link to the one that does work if that helps any. :-?

And I also really have no need for an email program, I just always wanted to get one setup for some reason. really I like Firefox and wanted to play around with T-Bird. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:19 pm

slomo007 wrote:Are the pop and smtp settings you are trying to use: pop.uky.edu and smtp.uky.edu?

I thought so. :-? If that's what you think is the problem then probably not. I just set it up the best I could based on the tutorials on the mozilla help page, so I'm sure I missed something. :*)
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:19 pm

After further researching...it looks like it used to be a POP system but they have since changed to IMAP when they changed to the whole "uconnect" layout. Now you will have to set up an IMAP account in T-Bird and use: "imap.uky.edu" as the incoming and use "smtp.uky.edu" as the outgoing.

Let me know if this works.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Baseballer02 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:31 pm

Just tried downloading Thunderbird, but couldn't get my Hotmail or Gmail accounts to work with it 'cuz I'm not sure how to find the ingoing/outgoing servers and whatnot. Can anyone help me out?
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:47 pm

Baseballer02 wrote:Just tried downloading Thunderbird, but couldn't get my Hotmail or Gmail accounts to work with it 'cuz I'm not sure how to find the ingoing/outgoing servers and whatnot. Can anyone help me out?

SOTD should be able to help you out with the gmail settings...I'm not sure what the POP settings are.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby logan » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:48 pm

Baseballer02 wrote:Just tried downloading Thunderbird, but couldn't get my Hotmail or Gmail accounts to work with it 'cuz I'm not sure how to find the ingoing/outgoing servers and whatnot. Can anyone help me out?

heres the gmail instructions for t-bird. not usre about the hotmail. (other than you would need the pop addresses) you get to this link by clicking on settings and clicking on forwarding and pop

http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/ans ... swer=13285
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:59 pm

You can't use T-Bird for Hotmail if I understand it correctly. M$ charges a fee for you to access your hotmail or MSN accounts by POP (or whatever it is) which is how programs like T-Bird do it. You may be able to do it with Outlook since it's M$, but I'm not sure, I've never used it. As for Gmail you have to configure it in Gmail and then in T-Bird. I set it up just like the link logan gave said, and it's worked so far. ;-D

slomo, I'll check it when I get home tonight and see if it works. Thanks for all the help.
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:27 pm

logan wrote:

heres the gmail instructions for t-bird. not usre about the hotmail. (other than you would need the pop addresses) you get to this link by clicking on settings and clicking on forwarding and pop

http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/ans ... swer=13285

Thanks for the link...I was really busy at the moment when I posted last so I didn't have time to find it. That should do it though.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby shpuck » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:36 pm

For info about Hotmail, and yahoo, and maybe some other POP pay access sites, use a java program called Mr. Postman. It has a minor GUI (Graphic User Interface) that is pretty straightforward to use .

http://mrpostman.sourceforge.net/

It was pretty easy to setup. I just keep it running in the background and don't really think about it. The only problem comes from Yahoo!, I think, where if you keep checking your mail (i.e. 5 times in 30 seconds) it gives you an authorization failed message. If you wait 10 minutes after that, it works. When it pops up, you just have to click ok, so it's easy to ignore.

I used to use Outlook Express to check Hotmail and all other accounts except Yahoo!, but I read that Microsoft was terminating the free pop access. I believe Mr. Postman will still work after they switch to subscription since it works with Yahoo! which is subscription.

Make sure you check out the extensions for Thunderbird. I use
Buttons!
MagicSLR
Calendar (tied in with Firefox also)
and Folderpane tools.
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk