Mozilla Thunderbird - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Mozilla Thunderbird

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mozilla Thunderbird

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:43 am

I've never used any sort of mail program (ie Outlook) before, so these questions probably aren't really a Thunderbird problem. :*)

Anyway, I'm trying to setup my new Gmail account so I can get my messages in T-Bird and I keep getting an error message. It works find for one of my school email accounts, but not the other (one is general University email and the one that works is my engineering account). I downloaded and tried to run the "Pop goes the Gmail" program on this page, but when I run it it gives yet another error message.

I'm sure the problem is between the chair and the computer on this one -- I'm not very good with all these different internet things yet. :-° I've read through most of the help pages at mozilla.org concerning T-Bird, and still can't get it to work right. There was something else I had a question about too, but I don't remember what it was. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:50 am

Is your engineering account at your school a "Microsoft Exchange" account. AKA "Exchange" account? Exchange accounts aren't able to be checked from off-campus at my school, without first being connected to our school's VPN (Virtual Private Network). So as a replacement, you can visit an exchange mail website to check it.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, chances are it's not an exchange account...meaning it is a POP account and should be able to be checked with email programs such as T-bird or Outlook.

I am about to go to bed, but when I wake up if your question hasn't been answered I'll read your response.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:54 am

Also, one more quick note before I crash. In order to check gmail, you will need to change the settings in gmail to POP. To do this, login, and click settings near the top right. Then go to "Forwarding/POP" or whatever that link says (I'm not looking at it).

There should be an option to enable POP mail, and once it's enabled, there will be a link available that walks you through how to setup Outlook or T-Bird, and I highly doubt you need the "Pop goes the gmail" program to enable it to run...although I wouldn't swear to it.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:54 am

slomo007 wrote:If you have no idea what I'm talking about, chances are it's not an exchange account...meaning it is a POP account and should be able to be checked with email programs such as T-bird or Outlook.

X-I

I think it's a POP account, but that's just a stab in the dark mostly. :-D
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:57 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
slomo007 wrote:If you have no idea what I'm talking about, chances are it's not an exchange account...meaning it is a POP account and should be able to be checked with email programs such as T-bird or Outlook.

X-I

I think it's a POP account, but that's just a stab in the dark mostly. :-D

OK I'm asking this and then going..I swear. What school do you go to? And give me the link to the page you go to to check your email online. Obviously I don't want your password or username or anything like that, just the login page would work...I'm just trying to figure out if it's an Exchange account.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:23 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:30 am

I got the Gmail one working now. :-D I had actually read all the stuff on the Gmail page before I downloaded T-Bird, but completely forgot about it before I asked the question here. :*)
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby logan » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:24 am

hey saints (or anyone else using thunderbird) how is it? ive been thinking about dl'ing it just beacuse really and was wondering how well it functioned and how easy it is to use send , read blah blah.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:20 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:Link.

Is that the link to check both of your email accounts, or is there a separate one for your engineering account?

Glad to hear the gmail one worked.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:20 am

logan wrote:hey saints (or anyone else using thunderbird) how is it? ive been thinking about dl'ing it just beacuse really and was wondering how well it functioned and how easy it is to use send , read blah blah.

I'm not ignoring your question, I just don't use any email software because I have no need for it at the moment.

Although, if I had to use one, there is no doubt in my mind that I would use T-Bird over anything by Microsoft or even Eudora.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk