Kerry Wood...where does he go? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kerry Wood...where does he go?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:39 pm

I'd always be wary of Wins projections. It's generally a bad idea to draft because of wins anyway. Go for the guys with low ERA's and low WHIPS and hope the team produces for them, wins are too variable (To an extent of course, if you have a low ERA and low WHIP your team will either be ahead or in the game, giving you more wins.)

I think the projection for Wood's wins was too low. If he's on for a full season, he will be deadly. Remember, he avg's over a K per inning, so gauging amount of K's he'll have his simply a guess on how many innings he'll pitch for the year.

As some have said he's a "risk", but this risk is pretty much a guranteed 140 IP, 140+ K's, ERA around 3.50 (He's posted these #'s or better the last 4 years.)
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:03 pm

Gotta go with Mulder here.. he'll have a nice year and he's definitely the safer pick to boot ;-D

I do prefer the dominant strikeout pitchers but I'd be inclined to grab Mulder over Wood.

Wood is a really strong K pitcher, but the rest of his game isn't overly impressive.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rlee » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:58 pm

Go with Wood. He'll get you many more Ks ... and besides, I'm still not sold on Mulder being 100% healthy. His late season slide was sooo bad last year, it seems to me that a pitcher of his caliber doesn't fade that badly unless something is wrong :-?
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers