Burnett, Halladay, or Mulder - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Burnett, Halladay, or Mulder

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:00 am

Fumbler wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:why are you guys saying mulder is a safe pick? i think he's anything but safe after the meltdown last year...people saying he might be injured...beane trading him...it might be nothing, but he scares me a lot more than those two other guys and assuming they will go close to each other in drafts, i'd take both halladay and AJ before him.

halladay first, then AJ. :-D

I don't know about you, but actual injuries scare me alot more than people speculating about one. Or are you forgetting already that Halladay missed alot of last season with an injury, while Burnett isn't that far removed from Tommy John surgery?

Another reason i'd stay away from Halladay is the opponents he has to face. You already know you're gonna feel pretty nervous when he has to go up against the likes of the Yankees, Red Sox, and Orioles a countless number of times...or will you just plan on sitting him that day/week? It's just too bad he won't get to face his own team.

With the Cardinals offense and defense behind Mulder, i think he's the safest pick of the three. If they can turn Suppan and Marquis into good pitchers, imagine what they could do for Mulder.

I'd take Burnett second and Halladay third.

*edit* Yeah, if you're looking for more strikeouts than go with Burnett or Halladay.

the problem see with people speculating injuries is that you don't really know what's going on. with actual injuries you don't have that problem. :-D

ok. you are right when you say that halladay and AJ both had injury problems not too long ago, especially AJ with tommy john surgery. AJ had pretty good months of July and August and pitching like that so soon after his surgery it has to be encouraging and he'll continue to get better. halladay's stint in the DL was caused pretty much cuz he was overworked the last 3 years, so i'm not too worried about him this year. as for facing good lineups...he won a cy young award facing those lineups.

as i said before, it's quite possible that there's nothing wrong with mulder, but that 8.10 ERA in september is enough to make me rank him below AJ and halladay.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:06 am

Not sure why Mulder is the safe pick? Had a strange hip injury last year, and melted down bad the 2nd half. Halladay sure has been forgotton. Missed 11 weeks with a tired shoulder, but rebounded nice at end of year.

Halladay
Burnett
Mulder
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Pedantic » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:44 am

HOOTIE wrote:Not sure why Mulder is the safe pick? Had a strange hip injury last year, and melted down bad the 2nd half. Halladay sure has been forgotton. Missed 11 weeks with a tired shoulder, but rebounded nice at end of year.

Halladay
Burnett
Mulder

I don't know; I'm a little hesitant to project a full season from one good start at the end of last season against a depleted Yankees squad.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers