What do you see in the future of Calvin Pickering? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do you see in the future of Calvin Pickering?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:51 am

Yes I agree, he has more real life value than fantasy value. He's good at getting on base which isn't really reflected in fantasy. It'd be nice to see what he can do... but unfortunately he's in a really bad situation. In Baltimore as their DH? Yeah I could see him as having some value there, but unfortunately they let him go. And he is actually affected by the new Yahoo rules as well... he would ahve been only a DH, but since he started 8 games at 1B he can play there too.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby crapshooter » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:31 am

I've been puzzled why no one has given him more of a chance. It's hard to judge what anyone can do on less than 50 at bats. I realize he isn't going to be the player everyone once thought but still feel like he could be a valuable player for the Royals
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby trevisc » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:10 am

I foresee many trips to the DL and many card games with his idol Mo Vaughn
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:08 pm

crapshooter wrote:I've been puzzled why no one has given him more of a chance. It's hard to judge what anyone can do on less than 50 at bats. I realize he isn't going to be the player everyone once thought but still feel like he could be a valuable player for the Royals

It's hard to judge what anyone can do just based on their first few hundred at bats. Look back at Barry Bonds' numbers or Jim Thome. Hell, Mike Schmidt batted under .200 in his first 400 ABs.

Any team that has a talented player simply needs to give him a more or less reasonable every-day role and let him play for a year. That's tough to do and understandable why you might delay if you are a contender. But, when you were the late 1990s Orioles with no hope of contending, the only intelligent thing to do is take a good young player and let him play.

Instead, the Orioles just kept looking for what he could not do, a common mistake. Earl Weaver talks about this in his book on managing, saying something about one of his keys was always focusing on what a player could do to help the team. So, Gary Roenicke can't hit righties and Lowenstein can't hit lefties? Platoon them and you have one of the top hitting OF in ball.

The Orioles wailed about how Pickering couldn't field and couldn't run, ignoring that he could do the single most important thing in baseball.

The man can HIT. Given the chance, he'll do just that.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Tavish » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:14 pm

Sweeney and the management have publicly kissed and made nice with each other. He isn't going anywhere (except for perhaps the DL). Pickering might see some time at DH when Sweeney needs a break and Harvey mans 1B.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby riverrat » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:17 am

This is why I enjoy this site so much. My 1st thoughts were why a thread on C.Pickering still on the 1st page? A relative of perhaps?
But then after reading thru all...there's something here that I've overlooked!!! And looking at his stats, if there is an injury to Sweeney/Harvey, I'm now gonna keep ol' Calvins name around.
Thanks, boys!
This place is the best.
riverrat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby ramble2 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:15 am

Pickering is an excellent candidate for a late round flyer.

It's baffling why KC goes with Harvey. He's horrible. Maybe he's a great fill in at 1B when Sweeney goes down. But as a DH he's awful. 13 HR in 456 AB? :-P
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 66)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:26 am

Not a relative, just a really frustrated Oriole fan! That's what watching Jeff Conine play 1B while Cal Pickering wastes away in the minors does to you.

Seriously, Cal has 13 HRs in 237 ABs spread out over 6 years of play. If he can do that when he's always being jerked around, why is there any doubt that he would hit 30+ HRs? Last year he had the third highest OPS on KC. Heck, if you don't want to concede him a job, platoon him against righties. Last year he hit 263 with a 978 OPS against them. Fine, he can't field. DH! If you search in the cafe, you'll find another thread where I compared Pickering's stats with David Ortiz on a year by year basis at the same age. They are scary in how similar they are. Now, that doesn't mean he'd perform the same if given the chance. But, it does mean that the evidence we have suggests he could.

OK, enough of my man crush on Cal. For fantasy purposes, I wouldn't rate him high. But if KC does begin to give him a chance, he'd be very high on my list of waiver sleepers (unfortunately, my league is made up of Oriole fans, so everybody knows him!)
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby swingaway » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:10 am

hmm if you even cant beat harvey for a role on the royals you are :-t . If he had any type of potential sweeney would of been gone by now and be replaced by picker by now.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:29 am

swingaway wrote:hmm if you even cant beat harvey for a role on the royals you are :-t . If he had any type of potential sweeney would of been gone by now and be replaced by picker by now.

The flawed assumption in your statement is the idea the management of the KC Royals would be able to identify potential when they see it. They've lost 100+ games two of the last three years. They've lost 95 games 4 of the last 6 years. They've had 3 winning seasons in the last 15 years. And, you are asking us to trust their judgement of a player's potential?

Pickering hit as well as Sweeney did last year and hit better than Harvey by a wide margin. The problem wasn't that he "didn't beat" Harvey. The problem was KC management's myopia in not seeing that he did beat Harvey like a drum.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers