Cliff Lee - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cliff Lee

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NZF » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:05 pm

El Jefe wrote:Lee told the Cleveland Plain Dealer that his second-half slide last year was two-fold. "I think it was a combination of fatigue and my failure to adjust to the hitters when they started to adjust to me," Lee said.

I cringe when I hear this fatigue thing. It's a way overused term to excuse a pitchers inadequacies. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, of course it does, but I doubt it in Lee's case.

He won 4 of his last 5 starts when "fatigue" would have been at its highest level. In his last 2 starts before the season ended, he pitched 13.1 innings and gave up just 8 hits and 3ER while striking out 12. Sound like a fatigued pitcher to you.

Quite simply if he really was fatigued, he would not have been pitching in meaningless games at that time of the year.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:51 pm

1. It is possible that Lee scaled down is pitching regimen at the end of the season.
2. Many teams are starting minor leaguers at the end of the season to see how they match up against major league pitching.
3. Fatigue makes a lot of sense with pitchers who recently moved up to the majors, because they NEVER pitch that many innings in the minors. I was trying to find the stats online... but I couldn't find 'em... I guess I don't know the right websites. I doubt he had ever pitched over 150 innings before and maybe as low as 130... that is a big difference.
I think Lee will be better this year, though he will have to start adjusting to hitters better...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby shortsavage » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:06 am

Cliff Lee's Minor and Major League Stats

He did pitch 23 more innings last season than he ever had in his professional career. Lee was also clearly pressing at the beginning of the year. He would practically walk the bases loaded and strike out the side once, in a given inning, each start (hints the walks, WHIP and fatigue).

Thus, management decided to give him more rest between starts in the second half of the season, shuffling him in the rotation occasionally. Then, at the end of the season Lee was given a string of regular starts to see how the rest had helped him. He ended up being a monster, as NZF noted, in he final two starts.

I really think that Cliff Lee will be a bright spot for the Tribe this season. He could push many fantasy teams to league titles as well.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby The Jury » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:37 am

I don't know.. I'm not gonna compare him to Peavy in many aspects but he's a 6-inning pitcher like Peavy, so if he makes a few more mistakes then he's fried.

I don't think he's that good.. had him last year.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SPEEDY » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:46 am

Don't even bother wasting a pick on him. Maybe in 2 years but hes not even close to being ready to step up. Hes a # 4 pitcher at best. I live in Cleveland and I'm gonna have to watch this donkey go out and make excuses every week of why he got rocked. Overated as they come, I've seen this kid pitch and theres nothing special about him.
SPEEDY
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Jury » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:42 am

SPEEDY wrote:Don't even bother wasting a pick on him. Maybe in 2 years but hes not even close to being ready to step up. Hes a # 4 pitcher at best. I live in Cleveland and I'm gonna have to watch this donkey go out and make excuses every week of why he got rocked. Overated as they come, I've seen this kid pitch and theres nothing special about him.

I haven't seen him pitch, but in the same boat as SPEEDY. Let someone else pick him.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers