Cliff Lee - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cliff Lee

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cliff Lee

Postby nettles3Ball-star » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:32 pm

what are the thoughts on this guy? Was he just overworked last year or what?
nettles3Ball-star
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZF » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:30 pm

No I don't believe that. That was the excuse used for Gil Meche at the end of the 2003 season as well. I'm of the opinion that familiarity is a far more relevant reason for a pitchers decline.

Lee is no more than a decent enough spot starter in most leagues. Especially when he's facing the Royals ;-)
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:35 pm

I don't know, I believe in this guy. His K rate has steadily gotten better and he has still not peaked and is young enough to develop. I would love him as my #5, wouldn't mind him as a #4.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:00 pm

Pass.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:15 pm

Cliff Lee should recognize his ace potential within the next few seasons. I would feel fine going into the 2005 season with him as my #3 stater. Putting him on your players not to draft list probably isn't the wisest move, especially given that his poor second half really drove down his value.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:18 pm

shortsavage wrote:Cliff Lee should recognize his ace potential within the next few seasons. I would feel fine going into the 2005 season with him as my #3 stater. Putting him on your players not to draft list probably isn't the wisest move, especially given that his poor second half really drove down his value.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I was higher than most on Lee but I don"t see him being much more than a spot starter this year on my fantasy roster or maybe a fifth starter
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby shortsavage » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:28 pm

BigLebowski wrote:
shortsavage wrote:Cliff Lee should recognize his ace potential within the next few seasons. I would feel fine going into the 2005 season with him as my #3 stater. Putting him on your players not to draft list probably isn't the wisest move, especially given that his poor second half really drove down his value.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I was higher than most on Lee but I don"t see him being much more than a spot starter this year on my fantasy roster or maybe a fifth starter

Lee led the Indians in wins and strikeouts last season. On top of that he was a heralded prospect as he ascended through the minors -- his k/9 was 10.02 in four minor league seasons -- and he is only turing 27 next season. At his age, with his tools and experience, he is due to tear apart his competition this season, probably earning the role of Cleveland's top arm.

Unless you are in an 8-team league, Lee should be drafted in someone's permanent rotation. Your evaluation of his talent shows why Lee is going to be such a good sleeper this season. The casual fan doesn't recognize his potential.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:37 pm

shortsavage wrote:
BigLebowski wrote:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee led the Indians in wins and strikeouts last season. On top of that he was a heralded prospect as he ascended through the minors -- his k/9 was 10.02 in four minor league seasons -- and he is only turing 27 next season. At his age, with his tools and experience, he is due to tear apart his competition this season, probably earning the role of Cleveland's top arm.

Unless you are in an 8-team league, Lee should be drafted in someone's permanent rotation. Your evaluation of his talent shows why Lee is going to be such a good sleeper this season. The casual fan doesn't recognize his potential.

Well then call me a casual fan then

I didn"t say he shouldn"t be on your roster I just think he is a fifth starter at best this year

Yeah his wins and Ks were nice but that ERA and WHIP are enough to kill a roster by themselves
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:41 pm

It's true... Improved K rate is a VERY encouraging sign. But his BB rate has gone the opposite way and he gives up too many dingers...

He and CC were on the same program last season that resulted in the wheels coming off the CLE bandwagon.

My guess is that he can't be any worse than he was in 04 but he has A LOT of work to do. Righties tee'd off him. I'd say he will be somewhere between 03 and 04. Which isn't so bad... but not any good either.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby El Jefe » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:51 pm

Cliff Lee, SP (rank: 90) - Indians
Lee told the Cleveland Plain Dealer that his second-half slide last year was two-fold. "I think it was a combination of fatigue and my failure to adjust to the hitters when they started to adjust to me," Lee said. "I was a little too hard-headed. . . . I kept doing the same stuff, and they kept scoring on me."
Fantasy Source spin: Lee says he threw too often between starts, which contributed to his fatigue. He also says having hernia surgery last offseason curbed his workout regimen. He's an intriguing mixed league pick in the final rounds.

I believe this assessment is pretty accurate. I see him as a #5 fantasy SP going into the season, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he contributed like a #3.
El Jefe
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers