Blalock vs. Chavez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Blalock vs. Chavez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nomar88423 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:42 pm

HOOTIE wrote:Chavez has a slight edge in nonkeepers, but he should, he's 27 to Blalocks 24. Up to age 24, Blalock has matched Chavez every step of the way.

This is true but for the next 5 years the age difference doesn't really make a difference even in keeper leagues.
Last edited by nomar88423 on Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nomar88423
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nomar88423 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:42 pm

They are essentially the same if you ask me. I would take Blalock, though, by a hair.
nomar88423
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:45 pm

Chavez. He can consistently put together an entire year, while Blalock is still a first half player. Once Blalock shows he can put together an entire season like his first halfs, he will be a monster in that park with that lineup. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:00 pm

It's seriously a toss up at this point in time. Blalock is on a faster curve though when you actually sit down and analyze their career progression.

Contrary to what most people in this forum believe, Blalock was on his way to a monster season until wrist injury slowed him down in 04. He would have shattered Chavez's career highs in virtually every category at the pace he was in by the All Star Break.

Also, Blalock hit just fine against lefties in only his second full season, posting a batting average of .280+.

Most people are down on him due to his collapse in 04. But he has a much higher ceiling than Chavez especially considering his age, progression, ball park and line up support. Hope that answers your question.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:04 pm

Yoda wrote:Most people are down on him due to his collapse in 04. But he has a much higher ceiling than Chavez especially considering his age, progression, ball park and line up support. Hope that answers your question.

I agree that he's got a much much higher ceiling, but for the next 2-3 seasons I think Chavez is the safer pick.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:05 pm

The Jury wrote:I had a look at the stats and had Blalock a touch overrated.

I'm in with the Chavez supporters ;-D

What stats were you looking? If Blalock is overrated then what does that make Chavez?

So many people do not do any reseach or think before they post.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:13 pm

I'd actually go w/ Blalock of the two as I think that he will improve this year and I'm thinking that Oakland may simply not get as many guys on base for RBI purposes as the Rangers will and, w/ the 'casualties' on their pitching staff, the team won't be as 'up' which would be likely to hurt Chavez' numbers. This is all theoretical but that's the vibe I've got on that position.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:27 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
Yoda wrote:Most people are down on him due to his collapse in 04. But he has a much higher ceiling than Chavez especially considering his age, progression, ball park and line up support. Hope that answers your question.

I agree that he's got a much much higher ceiling, but for the next 2-3 seasons I think Chavez is the safer pick.

Based on what do you think that Chavez will be better than Blalock for the next 2-3 years?

Blalock in only his second full season, playing through an injury and already started hitting lefties. Also posted a .300 average in a season which Chavez hasn't even come close to doing.

They are both phenomenal hitters and I honestly think that both are set up for a big 05 season.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers