Corey Patterson or Johnny Damon? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Corey Patterson or Johnny Damon?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:13 pm

Purple Haze wrote:
WittyC wrote: Steals and average will be up, since the Cubs are emphasizing small-ball (see: Brett Butler and Vince Coleman working w/ the players in the offseason).

Very good point...Patterson has been working with the best bunter (is Bunter even a word :-° ) of alltime, Brett Butler (imho)... If Patterson can learn to lay down a bunt,and run out infield singles..His average will go up imensely, and he will finally reach his full potential.. ;-D

i was just thinking about this. if the cubs are trying to teach him small ball (to be a bunter and to be more patient), that would mean he is no longer going to the plate hacking. if he isnt going to the plate hacking his avg and obp may go up but might his home runs actually go down some? the end result might be better average and rbi but possibly lower home runs and fewer stolen bases from batting lower in the order if hairston leads off.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Trade Patterson for Bonds?

Postby jayhawk » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:14 am

I have Patterson, but usually on the bench. In an 8 man league, it's not too hard to have 3 guys better than him---my question is should I trade him for
Bonds in hopes I can get #'s from him after Midseason?
Remember, I never use Patterson.
jayhawk
T-Ball Trainer

Postby baseballrich » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:43 am

Someone earlier in the thread said something along the lines of "who started comparing Patterson to Abreu". It's a perfect comparison. Corey is 25, has had some inconsistent years so far, but is primed for a break out year. I have him in a few leagues and I am counting on him for .285, 90R, 30HR, 100RBI and 30 SB. Guys who come to the bigs at 22 (like Corey) almost always turn into stars. He will be Abreu like.
baseballrich
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby great gretzky » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:48 am

I actually have them both, and if I had to choose, it would be damon. I would expect more in return for damon than patterson (of course that means I would trade damon before patterson if that makes sense)

Patterson might not get 30-30, but I really don't see how 25-25 is out of the question, and that is damn useful.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:14 am

Although I think Patterson is the better player. I'd have to take Damon ahead of him. Damon is just more consistent. You can draft him and be confident you can get......

15hr 85rbis 115runs 20sbs .300 BA
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bselig » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:30 am

damon over patterson...patterson may be "swinging for the fences," but for a 5'9" 180 lbs (tops) black guy that doesn't necessarily mean homers - it might just mean a pathetic batting average. patterson abreu comparisons are comical if you're talking real baseball, but as far as fantasy goes i can see the similarities...like the above guy said 25/25 is pretty conceivable for patterson, and i think he <i>could</i> steal more if he chose to - he is a fast little turd - hopefully he does. it's been said but the BA is what sets him apart from damon...if patterson shows he can bat for a respectable average he might get the edge over jd
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Trade Patterson for Bonds?

Postby Cooner » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:10 pm

jayhawk wrote:I have Patterson, but usually on the bench. In an 8 man league, it's not too hard to have 3 guys better than him---my question is should I trade him for
Bonds in hopes I can get #'s from him after Midseason?
Remember, I never use Patterson.

You'd have been better off posting this in a new thread in the "Draft, Trade, Keeper, and Waivers Questions" forum, but since many well-established long-time posters can't figure out what the right forum is, there's no reason to not cut you some slack as well :-b

In an 8 team league, Patterson isn't bad, but I'd rather not be starting him. I am, however, starting Damon in my 8 teamer. That said, if it's a keeper, I'd be holding onto Patterson for next year. So, if it's a non-keeper, and your OF is solid (and not injury prone) without Patterson, sure, deal him for Bonds.

And welcome to the forums ;-D
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:55 pm

Yeeeah, anyone notice this thread started in February? The rookie poster revived it from the dead.. but still a great topic! I'd still go with Damon, but it's close. I like Damon's peripheral value (slightly better Avg, runs, patience) over the K machine. And if you're not using Patterson, that's quite a team you must have. Trade away...
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers