Corey Patterson or Johnny Damon? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Corey Patterson or Johnny Damon?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby brandnew » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:37 am

I'll take Patterson... 30/30 is pretty good.. think pre-'04 Abreu. That's really nice... less runs, but RBI will be there in that lineup, and the HR/SB combo is a big plus ;-D
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:44 am

Call me crazy but when did Patterson become Abreau?

Potential is potential, not reality and I will take Damon any day of the week.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby WittyC » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:03 am

Go Patterson... a lot of pressure will be lifted off him with Hairston coming to town (he won't have to hit leadoff). I'd wager that he'll hit 5th in the Cubs lineup behind Lee or Ramirez and in front of Barrett or Burnitz. Steals and average will be up, since the Cubs are emphasizing small-ball (see: Brett Butler and Vince Coleman working w/ the players in the offseason). Patterson has the ability to rip the cover off the ball, and I think he'll have a break-out year.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nikku88 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:35 am

Just for 2005, I think Damon will be better. The Sox lineup is still stacked. Damon could be in a wheelchair and he would still score 100 runs.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby so0perspam » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:38 am

nikku88 wrote:Just for 2005, I think Damon will be better. The Sox lineup is still stacked. Damon could be in a wheelchair and he would still score 100 runs.

Gotta agree here, Damon is set up for nothing but success. Patterson will not get 30/30 next season, mark my words.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Danimal » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:27 am

I was faced with the choice earlier today in a real H2H draft in the sixth round. I balked at both and filled the SS position for one reason: I think both, while very talented, could be head cases this year. I see Patterson swinging for the fences in Sosa's absence. I see Damon now married and wearing The Ring. Am I crazy to use that type of criteria? Patterson could still have that breakout year, but I do think Damon is a potential head case.
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby crapshooter » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:35 am

I would personally take Damon, but with Patterson only being 25 he has some great years ahead of him. Question is, will it be this season or next when he takes it to the next level?
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:32 pm

WittyC wrote: Steals and average will be up, since the Cubs are emphasizing small-ball (see: Brett Butler and Vince Coleman working w/ the players in the offseason).

Very good point...Patterson has been working with the best bunter (is Bunter even a word :-° ) of alltime, Brett Butler (imho)... If Patterson can learn to lay down a bunt,and run out infield singles..His average will go up imensely, and he will finally reach his full potential.. ;-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:14 pm

WittyC wrote:Go Patterson... a lot of pressure will be lifted off him with Hairston coming to town (he won't have to hit leadoff). I'd wager that he'll hit 5th in the Cubs lineup behind Lee or Ramirez and in front of Barrett or Burnitz. Steals and average will be up, since the Cubs are emphasizing small-ball (see: Brett Butler and Vince Coleman working w/ the players in the offseason). Patterson has the ability to rip the cover off the ball, and I think he'll have a break-out year.

if patterson isnt batting in the top of the order i dont think he will be running as much. last year batting either first or second he stole 28 bases in 104 games (441 AB) but when batting any where else in the order had only 4 stolen bases in 53 games (190 AB). if hairston is batting leadoff i think it really hurts corey's value--fewer stolen bases and fewer runs scored. its not like his sb's will completely disappear but if he isnt getting 30+ then his value takes a huge hit imo because he wont score a huge amount of runs, his average is mediocre, and his power numbers, while they may be decent, arent anything special.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby J35J » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:23 pm

I'd take Damon without looking back, I think Patterson is still a little inconsistant with what he can put up.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers