Help with draft strategy: 7th overall - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Help with draft strategy: 7th overall

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help with draft strategy: 7th overall

Postby Ed Whitson » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:08 pm

Just drew the 7th overall selection in a 10 team mixed league snake draft, non-keeper. Categories are standard 5x5 plus OBP and total bases for hitters and blown saves for pitchers. I need 2 starters at each infield position, 5 OF, 5 starters, and 2 closers. I project Helton, Tejada, Johan, and Abreu all will be available with first selection. Which should i go with, and what should I do with next couple of picks. I was thinking possibly Gagne in round 2. Any suggestions.
Ed Whitson
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pat1999 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:21 pm

well if your thinking about taking gagne with your 2nd pick your gonna want to take a bat with your first. if soriano slips i would jump on him, otherwise your lookin at a pool of helton,tejada,abreu,bonds...i think a lot of people are putting abreu too high on their lists. i would take helton if hes there. helton has been the most consistent fantasy producer out of your options...since obp is in the mix you might want to consider taking bonds since he will have a lot of games with 1.00 avg and obp..which is great for making up the slack from guys who hurt those categories.
greatest game on earth
pat1999
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Help with draft strategy: 7th overall

Postby cannonarm21 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:28 pm

Ed Whitson wrote:Just drew the 7th overall selection in a 10 team mixed league snake draft, non-keeper. Categories are standard 5x5 plus OBP and total bases for hitters and blown saves for pitchers. I need 2 starters at each infield position, 5 OF, 5 starters, and 2 closers. I project Helton, Tejada, Johan, and Abreu all will be available with first selection. Which should i go with, and what should I do with next couple of picks. I was thinking possibly Gagne in round 2. Any suggestions.

I'd take Tejada. He plays a position which is more scarce than Helton.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:32 pm

With the 2 extra cats being OBP and total bases, Helton is the easy choice IMO.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:33 pm

because of your scoring Id say you must take a hitter. Its a 7x6 league with the 6th pitching cat a negative cat that only applies to closers. Grab Helton or Tejada. Id do the same in the 2nd - hitters aer much more valuable than Ps simply because they count 2 more cats than the Ps.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ed Whitson » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:41 pm

Let me be a bit more specific. The extra pitching category is actually save percentage, not blown saves. Sorry. And pitching categories count for 1.25 pts each as opposed to 1 point for each offensive category. Does this change any of the thinking?
Ed Whitson
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CrimeDog » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:41 pm

Helton for sure with pick 1 and look for another big bat with pick 2.
CrimeDog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:47 pm

Ed Whitson wrote:Let me be a bit more specific. The extra pitching category is actually save percentage, not blown saves. Sorry. And pitching categories count for 1.25 pts each as opposed to 1 point for each offensive category. Does this change any of the thinking?

yes - thanks for the clarification. Thats a pretty strange setup for the pitching cats to literally count more, but it does make sence given the cat imbalance.

Id still say Tejada or Helton, but I would hope that Gagne falls back to you in the 2nd. It seems with the extra closer cat - especially a % based one instead of a counting cat that the elite closers would be worth that much more.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jeff926 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:41 pm

gotta take tejada in that situation, but don't be surprised if randy slips or even bonds slips into your hands. the draft projections look weird this year
you heard it here...
Seattle Mariners 2007 World Series Champs!
Felix Hernandez = 35 wins, 400K!
i can dream...
jeff926
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tvv44 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:38 pm

here's my list

1 - Bonds
2 - Helton
3 - Tejada

If you can get Gagne in the 2nd round, I would definitely take him. If not, I would take another big bat.
tvv44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers