Anyone else on the early bandwagon? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Cincinnati Reds

Anyone else on the early bandwagon?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone else on the early bandwagon?

Postby TheGrump » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:43 pm

I think the Reds are going to be much improved. I am excited about the new players that Dan O'Brien has brought in. I am ready to say goodbye to Larkin and everything that came with him. This team has a new face, a new rotation, and possibly a new attitude. They could contend for a wild card spot this year.
No one has really talked about the Reds as being improved this year, but I think that they had one of the top three or four offseasons.

Anyone with me?
TheGrump
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone else on the early bandwagon?

Postby slomo007 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:54 pm

It has never been a question (in my mind) of if the Reds have the talent. It's just a matter of if they can stay healthy (surprise, surprise). Can you imagine a lineup of a healthy Griffey, Kearns, Dunn, Casey, and factor in some Wily Mo?? Wow!

That being said, it's time for them to get serious about the pitching staff and actually develop these youngsters we keep hearing so much about. If Cincy falls out early, it's time to trade Graves for a solid RELIABLE arm for next year. If there's one thing that our staff is missing...it's consistency. Wilson is viewed as the rotation leader, but it was just recently that he has been able to stay healthy. :-o

I guess you could argue that's why they signed Milton, but obviously, it was too much to pay.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby TheGrump » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:16 pm

The Reds are getting serious about their pitching staff for the first time in at least six years.
The Reds have signed:
Ramon Ortiz
Eric Milton
David Weathers
Ben Weber
Kent Merker

Hudson and Claussen are not polished, but they have shown that they have great stuff. Harang is a decent pitcher. If Milton and Wilson can pitch a lot of innings, the staff will be okay. The Reds do not have the best starters in the league, but they do not have the worst rotation in majors anymore, either.
TheGrump
College Coach
College Coach

Postby EricF » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:09 pm

As far as fantasy baseball goes, Cincy has a crowded outfield with Dunn, Griffey, Kearns, Wily Mo, and even Ryan Freel (the one with speed). All have great talent, but there aren't enough positions! It's almost inevitable that someone will get hurt and the problem will solve itself. But until that happens, the Reds will have to do some kind of rotation, and that means that your Reds fantasy outfielder might be out of the lineup on a given night. He will almost certainly pinch-hit at some point in the game, but that's not enough to give you fantasy stats that someone else could provide.

That's why I'm nervous about drafting any Reds.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:12 pm

TheGrump wrote:The Reds are getting serious about their pitching staff for the first time in at least six years.
The Reds have signed:
Ramon Ortiz
Eric Milton
David Weathers
Ben Weber
Kent Merker

Hudson and Claussen are not polished, but they have shown that they have great stuff. Harang is a decent pitcher. If Milton and Wilson can pitch a lot of innings, the staff will be okay. The Reds do not have the best starters in the league, but they do not have the worst rotation in majors anymore, either.

The only pitchers on that list that are worth a damn are Ortiz and Milton. Weathers is an absolute embarrassment, I can't believe anyone would sign the bum.

Ortiz was solid though, you're right, I did forget about him. Regardless, they overpaid for Milton when they could have saved the money for when a quality pitcher becomes available....even if it's next offseason.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby TheGrump » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:48 pm

You can credit the big contract of Milton to Mr. Benson, who recieved a huge contract, throwing a wrench in the free agent valuation. For years, reds fans have complained about the pitching and now that the team is being proactive in its approach, everyone is still complaining.

Lets have hope! The Reds are getting serious about baseball again and their bench is extremely deep!!!!!
TheGrump
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:54 pm

TheGrump wrote:You can credit the big contract of Milton to Mr. Benson, who recieved a huge contract, throwing a wrench in the free agent valuation. For years, reds fans have complained about the pitching and now that the team is being proactive in its approach, everyone is still complaining.

Lets have hope! The Reds are getting serious about baseball again and their bench is extremely deep!!!!!

I guess, I'll try to stay positive....maybe Milton will surprise me.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby benjapage » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:07 pm

i've been disappointed about the amount of money sunk on milton, too. i just look at an organization like the athletics, and wonder why WE can't develop talent. are we signing stinkers? or are we ruining quality talent in the minors?

maybe luke hudson will mark a change of course. i am hopeful.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Cincinnati Reds