Power category surprises - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Power category surprises

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby red » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:58 pm

AKhomebrewer wrote:I'm with Amazinz on this one. Not sure how Feliz gets 550 AB when he doesn't have a starting job (Snow 1b, Alfonzo 3b).

I also like Wily Mo for some decent numbers ... between Griff and Kearns, he will find playing time.

I completely understand what you're saying here; except i find it a little funny. You don't like Feliz because he isn't guranteed playing time (when they signed him to a two-year contract, along with Alou saying "he'll be in the lineup somehwere everyday", where he has two old and non-All star type players (perhaps) blocking his playing time: while you like Wily Mo-- who has two HUGE upside players blocking him, and they won't be looking to give Wily Mo a spot because he isn't as good as either of those guys (although he will probably get his shot because of injury).
Between Wily Mo and Feliz, I think Feliz is guaranteed WAY more at bats.
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Firechicken » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:59 pm

Ditto Red.
"Baseball is 90% mental.., the other half is physical".
Firechicken
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby slomo007 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:00 pm

red wrote:
AKhomebrewer wrote:I'm with Amazinz on this one. Not sure how Feliz gets 550 AB when he doesn't have a starting job (Snow 1b, Alfonzo 3b).

I also like Wily Mo for some decent numbers ... between Griff and Kearns, he will find playing time.

I completely understand what you're saying here; except i find it a little funny. You don't like Feliz because he isn't guranteed playing time (when they signed him to a two-year contract, along with Alou saying "he'll be in the lineup somehwere everyday", where he has two old and non-All star type players (perhaps) blocking his playing time: while you like Wily Mo-- who has two HUGE upside players blocking him, and they won't be looking to give Wily Mo a spot because he isn't as good as either of those guys (although he will probably get his shot because of injury).
Between Wily Mo and Feliz, I think Feliz is guaranteed WAY more at bats.

Wily Mo has just as much upside as Griffey (yes, I just said that), and honestly more than Kearns even. Even if you factor out Kearns' injury risk, he projects to a .315, 30-35 HR player. Wily Mo has the ability to hit well more HRs. The average is still a question mark right now, as he is just so young that it's a relative unknown what he can mature to be.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby BGbootha » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:03 pm

Although I wouldn't really call Hidalgo a surprise but i really like his upsiade playing in TeX
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TB13 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:03 pm

[quote="Amazinz"]Richard Hidalgo[/quote]
Great call on Hidalgo. Playing in Texas, I would not be surprised if he was to bang out 30 dingers this year. Another hitter to watch is Dye. I could see 30 jacks out of him as well.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Brendo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:15 pm

I'm not sold on hidalgo....if he didn't in HOU, why will he in TEX???
Brendo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:39 pm

Brendo wrote:I'm not sold on hidalgo....if he didn't in HOU, why will he in TEX???

1. Peace of mind
2. Playing for a big contract next year
3. Arlington
4. Rudy Jaramillo
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Firechicken » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:15 pm

Granted Hidalgo could have a monster year...., anyone that's done it before could do it again. But lots of players do it once and never again.. I think Hidalgo's one of those. Just my humble opinion.
Firechicken
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Firechicken » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:19 pm

Forgot to add..., I still think he'll be a surprise source of power, but in the form of .285/25/90, not anything like his big year.
Firechicken
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby red » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:26 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Brendo wrote:I'm not sold on hidalgo....if he didn't in HOU, why will he in TEX???

1. Peace of mind
2. Playing for a big contract next year
3. Arlington
4. Rudy Jaramillo

I don't necessarily disagree with this list; but I would argue we've already seen most of it not come true:

1. He had a "new start" or perhaps "peace of mind" after coming to the Mets, it lasted for about three weeks when he hit the cover off the ball; and then he fell quickly. So, I"m not sure that holds water;

2. Playing for a contract: he was playing for a contract last year, too;

3. Arlington; Well, before the trade: Enron... hitters park; no results;

4. Rudy... Here ya got me; Rudy can help- and hopefully for those of you who believe in him, Rudy does help; but thid doesn't look like a terrific talent being lost in some headgame with himself; this looks like someone who has begun to lose it.
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers