What's a fairer category...OBP or AVG? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's a fairer category...OBP or AVG?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's a fairer category...OBP or AVG?

Postby AI8818 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:26 am

Our league is a 12 team H2H 5x5 standard league. The only thing were having trouble with is deciding for hitters, to do OBP or AVG. What would you want? Whats the fairest for everyone?
AI8818
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:03 am

You will get mixed opinions on this but personally I like Avg.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby grammysboy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:47 am

We made the switch last season and to be honest, it just shifts your focus a little. Where we had been looking for anything above .285, we now look for an OBP above .350. It's nice to find those players who's OBP is significantly higher than their BA, but it is really just a statistic to measure and keep track of. If we went back, there would be very little argument or complaint.

I really don't think this change is worth spending long hours of debate on in a league meeting. Just take a vote and move on. You won't notice much difference either way.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby looptid » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:47 am

By unfair, do you mean misrepresenting a player's value in real baseball? AVG is either an incomplete version of OBP that excludes walks or a rounded version of SLG that normalizes all hits to singles. OBP and SLG better describe how teams score runs (by getting runners on and advancing runners), so if your aim is to replicate what makes real baseball teams successful in your fantasy game, you should probably go that route.

But as long as everyone knows the scoring categories well enough ahead of time to prepare for the draft with them in mind, it doesn't really matter from a fantasy perspective if you use AVG or OBP.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bleach168 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:43 pm

OBP is AVG + BB really.

If drawing a walk is a good thing in real life, then why do we punish the owners of players who draw walks in fantasy baseball?

OBP is better!
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby LCBOY » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:45 pm

bleach168 wrote:OBP is AVG + BB really.

If drawing a walk is a good thing in real life, then why do we punish the owners of players who draw walks in fantasy baseball?

OBP is better!

In my H2H league we count walks.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AKhomebrewer » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:51 pm

"Fair" is a subjective term to put into your query. For the purposes of scoring in a fantasy league, you pick one or the other and adjust your targeted players accordingly. As long as everyone in the league is using the same method, they're equally 'fair.'
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby LBJackal » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:36 pm

All my leagues are BA but I'd much rather have OBA. I think it's easier to predict and I'd rather have skillful research payoff than have luck of a good BA pay off. I have no evidence that OBA is more predictable... it's jsut how I see it. Plus, I'd rather have players judged based on actual skill, not just their BA.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Jury » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:51 am

LBJackal wrote:All my leagues are BA but I'd much rather have OBA. I think it's easier to predict and I'd rather have skillful research payoff than have luck of a good BA pay off. I have no evidence that OBA is more predictable... it's jsut how I see it. Plus, I'd rather have players judged based on actual skill, not just their BA.

I'd think that OBP varies less from year to year than BA would, because it incorporates 2 factors instead of just one. The walks drawn tend to be fairly consistent, so if a good player gets into a bit a ditch during the season, his OBP won't change as drastically as just the BA would...

If you read my drift... :-D So I think OBP is more accurate/consistent.. though BA is more classic for fantasy :-D

Hey maybe this is a sign of the changing baseball ERA... swinging more from the classical side of things to the statistics/Sabermetrics/(Moneyball?) influence...
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Jury » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:53 am

Hey I missed the question!

The "fairest" is probably OBP. At least, it's the fairest to the MLB baseball players ;-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers