who would you rather have?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:27 am

Teixeira
92%
Blalock
8%

Total votes : 51

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:51 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Jesus christ stop acting like I said Helton was on steroids. I merely said that there were rumors about it out of Colorado that were said here. So what. I never said anything about him taking steroids. Though the possibility of a trade and his numbers plummeting is a very real possibility. 1B is not a deeper position, there are more higher quality players at 3B than there are at 1B. Come on, you are talking about Sweeney and Palmerio? Bench players at best. Whenever a guy like Chipper could be the 11th or 12th player at a postition taken, that is a deep, deep position.

Cubs, I'm relatively new here but I follow baseball pretty closely and the whole steroids issue as well. I am curious as to how many people will show up completely different from their past. But I have never heard anyone accusing Helton of using steroids anywhere. He isn't muscular at all either. In fact, he looks exactly like he did when he broke into the league.

Sweeney and Palmeiro are not bench players unless you are playing in an 8 player league.

Don't take it personally. I'm just trying to be as objective as possible here.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biller24 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:51 pm

It was close, but in the end I had to go with Teixeira. Both should post great numbers for years to come.
biller24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:52 pm

This is a topic that is worth discussing but please stop with the personal stuff or I'll have to make this thread go away.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:15 pm

Yoda wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Jesus christ stop acting like I said Helton was on steroids. I merely said that there were rumors about it out of Colorado that were said here. So what. I never said anything about him taking steroids. Though the possibility of a trade and his numbers plummeting is a very real possibility. 1B is not a deeper position, there are more higher quality players at 3B than there are at 1B. Come on, you are talking about Sweeney and Palmerio? Bench players at best. Whenever a guy like Chipper could be the 11th or 12th player at a postition taken, that is a deep, deep position.

Cubs, I'm relatively new here but I follow baseball pretty closely and the whole steroids issue as well. I am curious as to how many people will show up completely different from their past. But I have never heard anyone accusing Helton of using steroids anywhere. He isn't muscular at all either. In fact, he looks exactly like he did when he broke into the league.

Sweeney and Palmeiro are not bench players unless you are playing in an 8 player league.

Don't take it personally. I'm just trying to be as objective as possible here.
Sweeney and Palmeiro are at best backup 1B or Util guys, but they will probably log the most games at your DL spot.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:33 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Sweeney and Palmeiro are at best backup 1B or Util guys, but they will probably log the most games at your DL spot.

And your point is...? They are pretty damn good back ups in a 12 team league don't you think? Even if we assume that they are average players at their position at best, I don't think you would have a 3B of their caliber as a back up. That is my point.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:52 pm

Eh, its the way I feel that they aren't average at thier position and are subpar.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:58 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Eh, its the way I feel that they aren't average at thier position and are subpar.

Yes but even if they are subpar, they are much better than anyone else you would find as a 3B that is subpar. You are only proving my point.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Onyx » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:59 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:(Helton steroids/trade? Thome injury?)

Hmm.... Have you ever seen Helton? Does he resemble anyone that has done steroids?
I don't know the whole steroids thing, there was just this rumor that he had lost a lot of weight or something and steroid whispers were going around. I'm just reporting, not creating. As for your reasoning on why Blalock is better than Tex, Tex was hurt the first half, unlike Blalock, who in his slump half (2nd) was absolutely awful for no reason. But we'll settle this later, and anyone who thinks that 1b is deeper than 3b this year is wrong. At first, theres Pujols, Helton, Tex, Thome, Ortiz, Huff, Lee, Morneau maybe, and so on. 3b has Arod, Beltre, Chavez, Rolen, Mora, Blalock, Aramis, Huff, D Wright, Chipper Jones, Mike Lowell, etc.

From Rotoworld Aug 26th 2004

Hank Blalock hit a two-run homer, singled in a run and walked tonight.
Blalock has matched his 2003 totals of 29 homers and 90 RBI. His average is down, in part because of his wrist problems, but he is beating last year's OPS.

And Sep 17th 2004
Hank Blalock has 13 RBI and is hitting .325 in his last 10 games.
He seems to be over his second-half slump. Perhaps the reason for Blalock's recent surge is that his wrist is feeling better. It now seems safe to ride him until the end of the season.

He was slowed by injury. Just so we all know now.
Onyx
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:01 pm

Ah, never heard that. I hadn't seen he had the wrist thing, I thought he had just fallen apart. And Yoda, all backups are subpar usually. Thats why they are subpar. But there is higher quality across the board, especially in that 4th-6th round area, at 3B.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:26 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Ah, never heard that. I hadn't seen he had the wrist thing, I thought he had just fallen apart. And Yoda, all backups are subpar usually. Thats why they are subpar. But there is higher quality across the board, especially in that 4th-6th round area, at 3B.

OK... Let's look at the top 15 from 04.

1B Pujols, Helton, Ortiz, Teixeira, Hafner, Casey, Konerko, Thome, Lee, Wilkerson, Bagwell, Durazo, Nevin, Green, Delgado
http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/flb/reques ... 1&Param4=0
3B Beltre, Arod, Mora, Rolen, Ramirez, Castilla, Blalock, Huff (but he qualified at 1B as well), Batista, Lowell, Figgins, Blake, Chavez, Chipper, Koskie http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/flb/reques ... 1&Param4=0

Which group was better? I wouldn't expect anyone from the 1B group to drop off. But for 3B, Castilla won't even be owned in 75% of the leagues out there and Batista isn't even in the league anymore. There are players like Morneau, Giambi, Overbay, Pena, Millar, Sweeney, Palmeiro, Thomas, Sexson, N.Johnson, Jacobson, Kotchman, Morales who are all more than serviceable at 1B not included in that list. The competition at 3B is: Freel, Ensberg, Wright, McPherson, Glaus, Hinske, Alfonzo, Bell, Wigginton, Mueller, Burroughs, Crede, Youkillis...
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers