who would you rather have?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:27 am

Teixeira
92%
Blalock
8%

Total votes : 51

Postby GameOn » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:51 pm

I think anyway you look at it Tex has a higher ceiling...ou can start arguing over who would be a better pick or what not...but I am not trying to do that. IMO both Tex and Blalock are very good hitters who could hit well above .300. Tex's increased patience at the plate this year indicates that he may become one of the elite hitters like Manny and Helton, who not only hit for massive power with good averages but also have a VERY high OBP. I think blalock has that same capability as well but I think it might be harder for him to attain it since he struggles with lefties.

As far as power goes though there is no comparison in my book...Tex has the capacity to hit 50+ homers; whereas, IMO blalock will probably never hit more than 35 or 40. Either way they are both great players and as a Rangers fan I love having both of them. I just think Tex has a higher ceiling.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:58 pm

GameOn wrote:I think anyway you look at it Tex has a higher ceiling...ou can start arguing over who would be a better pick or what not...but I am not trying to do that. IMO both Tex and Blalock are very good hitters who could hit well above .300. Tex's increased patience at the plate this year indicates that he may become one of the elite hitters like Manny and Helton, who not only hit for massive power with good averages but also have a VERY high OBP. I think blalock has that same capability as well but I think it might be harder for him to attain it since he struggles with lefties.

As far as power goes though there is no comparison in my book...Tex has the capacity to hit 50+ homers; whereas, IMO blalock will probably never hit more than 35 or 40. Either way they are both great players and as a Rangers fan I love having both of them. I just think Tex has a higher ceiling.

Dude, Blalock was more than half way to 40 in half the season last year. Both have two full seasons under their belt and their numbers are nearly identical. They are the same age even. You have not backed up your argument as to why Teixeira will hit 50 homers and Blalock will hit less. Teixeira certainly had a much better second half than him but that is about it. Blalock's first half was nearly as good as Teix's second half.

I have a problem when people use superlatives like 'not even close' or 'by a mile' when clearly it is too close to call. I think most everyone prefers Teixeira over Blalock b/c he hasn't struggled as much. But that is about it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:06 pm

Yoda, I agree with you that they are closer than most people are rating them but Tex has more power.

Both have 64 HR in 2 Major League seasons. Tex hit his in 1074 AB and Blalock hit his in 1338 AB.
Last edited by Pogotheostrich on Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby NZF » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:07 pm

Maybe it is closer than what a lot are saying but I honestly would take Tex without giving it a second thought.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:13 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Yoda, I agree with you that they are closer than most people are rating them but Tex has more power.

Both have 64 HR in 2 Major League seasons. Tex hit his in 1074 AB and Blalock hit his in 1338 AB.

OK but 147 ABs came in his rookie season and if ANYONE remembers, it was flat out AWFUL.

I do like Teixeira BTW contrary to what I posted earlier (not trying to pull a John Kerry here) but I just wanted the original poster to get an informed opinion. I think Teixeira will hit for slightly more power and Blalock will hit for slightly higher average. But they are more like 1 and 1A. Not 1 and 5 like most people are making them out to be.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:48 pm

Yoda wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:(Helton steroids/trade? Thome injury?)

Hmm.... Have you ever seen Helton? Does he resemble anyone that has done steroids?
I don't know the whole steroids thing, there was just this rumor that he had lost a lot of weight or something and steroid whispers were going around. I'm just reporting, not creating. As for your reasoning on why Blalock is better than Tex, Tex was hurt the first half, unlike Blalock, who in his slump half (2nd) was absolutely awful for no reason. But we'll settle this later, and anyone who thinks that 1b is deeper than 3b this year is wrong. At first, theres Pujols, Helton, Tex, Thome, Ortiz, Huff, Lee, Morneau maybe, and so on. 3b has Arod, Beltre, Chavez, Rolen, Mora, Blalock, Aramis, Huff, D Wright, Chipper Jones, Mike Lowell, etc.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:04 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Hmm.... Have you ever seen Helton? Does he resemble anyone that has done steroids?
I don't know the whole steroids thing, there was just this rumor that he had lost a lot of weight or something and steroid whispers were going around. I'm just reporting, not creating. As for your reasoning on why Blalock is better than Tex, Tex was hurt the first half, unlike Blalock, who in his slump half (2nd) was absolutely awful for no reason. But we'll settle this later, and anyone who thinks that 1b is deeper than 3b this year is wrong. At first, theres Pujols, Helton, Tex, Thome, Ortiz, Huff, Lee, Morneau maybe, and so on. 3b has Arod, Beltre, Chavez, Rolen, Mora, Blalock, Aramis, Huff, D Wright, Chipper Jones, Mike Lowell, etc.

RE: steroids, if you have a story or a link to back that up then you should do that. But spreading rumors especially in a forum like this where a lot of people are reading and depending on accuracy of information is just wrong. If you have a story, then let us have it. But don't spread rumors that have no basis at all.

Obviously, you and most of the people who think that Blalock is a complete bum, do not know that he was hurting in the second half. He had a wrist injury that hampered him that completely sapped his power and ability to hit. Why else would he go from a monster first half to a disastrous second half?

As far as 1B versus 3B goes... According to ESPN's Player Rater, 16 players with 1B elgibility finished over 0 (which is average). On the contrary, 13 players with 3B eligibility finished over 0. http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/flb/reques ... 1&Param4=0

Some obvious 1B who underperformed and/or didn't get enough PT that should be much better in 04: Giambi, Palmeiro, Sexson, Sweeney, D.Young, Morneau, M.Vaughn (j/k)...

Some obvious 3B who underperformed and/or didn't get enough PT that should be much better in 04: Chipper, Wright Glaus...

Much closer for 05 but still, 1B is a deeper position than 3B.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:11 pm

Yoda wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

RE: steroids, if you have a story or a link to back that up then you should do that. But spreading rumors especially in a forum like this where a lot of people are reading and depending on accuracy of information is just wrong. If you have a story, then let us have it. But don't spread rumors that have no basis at all.

Obviously, you and most of the people who think that Blalock is a complete bum, do not know that he was hurting in the second half. He had a wrist injury that hampered him that completely sapped his power and ability to hit. Why else would he go from a monster first half to a disastrous second half?

As far as 1B versus 3B goes... According to ESPN's Player Rater, 16 players with 1B elgibility finished over 0 (which is average). On the contrary, 13 players with 3B eligibility finished over 0. http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/flb/reques ... 1&Param4=0

Some obvious 1B who underperformed and/or didn't get enough PT that should be much better in 04: Giambi, Palmeiro, Sexson, Sweeney, D.Young, Morneau, M.Vaughn (j/k)...

Some obvious 3B who underperformed and/or didn't get enough PT that should be much better in 04: Chipper, Wright Glaus...

Thats why I put a question mark after the steroids thing because its just a rumor I don't really believe, but it was someone on here that said there were reports that his weight was down a lot. If you think Palmeiro or Sweeney are going to be big players this year, that won't be happening. Their best years are behind them. D Young only qualifies at DH this year. Giambi is too big of a question mark to consider a starter. It's pointless to argue, since the season hasn't started, but I will go on the record and say that Tex ends up with better numbers by a fair margin.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:17 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Thats why I put a question mark after the steroids thing because its just a rumor I don't really believe, but it was someone on here that said there were reports that his weight was down a lot. If you think Palmeiro or Sweeney are going to be big players this year, that won't be happening. Their best years are behind them. D Young only qualifies at DH this year. Giambi is too big of a question mark to consider a starter. It's pointless to argue, since the season hasn't started, but I will go on the record and say that Tex ends up with better numbers by a fair margin.

You completely missed my point. 0 is average. Palmeiro and Sweeney performed under that (indicated by a minus sign). They SHOULD be average or slightly above average. I don't doubt that their best years are behind them. That is not the point here. Giambi also should be at least an average player.

There is no argument here. Helton is not on the juice, Teixeira and Blalock are not that far apart and 1B is a deeper position than 3B.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:41 pm

Jesus christ stop acting like I said Helton was on steroids. I merely said that there were rumors about it out of Colorado that were said here. So what. I never said anything about him taking steroids. Though the possibility of a trade and his numbers plummeting is a very real possibility. 1B is not a deeper position, there are more higher quality players at 3B than there are at 1B. Come on, you are talking about Sweeney and Palmerio? Bench players at best. Whenever a guy like Chipper could be the 11th or 12th player at a postition taken, that is a deep, deep position.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers