Poll ended at Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:27 am

Teixeira
92%
Blalock
8%

Total votes : 51

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:41 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Yoda wrote:Hmmm... and Blalock wasn't hurt in the second half? :-? How soon you forget what he did in the first half.

Blalock didn't miss any time last year and I don't remember any injury being reported.

Blalock
Pre-Allstar: 353 AB
Post-Allstar:271 AB

Tex
Pre-Allstar: 258 AB
Post-Allstar:287 AB

Pogo, Blalock was hampered by a wrist injury starting with the AS Break. He didn't miss any time and played through it and sapped most of his power. That is the story I got anyway.

I find it extremely funny that a Rangers fan who watch all their games thinks that the two are not even close in value.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:19 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Just wondering something from all of those by a mile people.......What ceiling do you see for these 2?? Personally, I think that it's close.
Well, I'd say the insane ceiling for Tex is 50 HR, .300, 130 RBI, 100+ Runs. More realistic would be something in the .290 range, 45 HR, 120 RBI, and 100 R. I think those numbers are very attainable in a full season. Blalock will never be as good a hitter.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:33 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Just wondering something from all of those by a mile people.......What ceiling do you see for these 2?? Personally, I think that it's close.
Well, I'd say the insane ceiling for Tex is 50 HR, .300, 130 RBI, 100+ Runs. More realistic would be something in the .290 range, 45 HR, 120 RBI, and 100 R. I think those numbers are very attainable in a full season. Blalock will never be as good a hitter.

Thanks for stepping up with a comparison. Personally, I think that they will be very similar across the board with Tex having the better average. I see the power numbers as being very close.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:39 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:

Not sure about that... Blalock was a top prospect in all of baseball for two years. He has just as much talent as Teixeira IMO.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:55 pm

In your opinion, but he can't hit lefties. Will he learn? Who knows. And Lofunzo, Tex is a better HR hitter. I cant see Blalock approaching what Tex will do. Also, Tex will hit cleanup, which means he gets to bat in Young, Soriano, and Blalock. Not bad at all. Tex will just have better numbers across the board, in a shallower position. I think players like Aramis and Chavez can put up similar or better numbers than Blalock in similar picks. I think Tex finishes as the 3rd best 1b this year, maybe 2nd depending on other stuff. (Helton steroids/trade? Thome injury?)
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:06 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:In your opinion, but he can't hit lefties. Will he learn? Who knows. And Lofunzo, Tex is a better HR hitter. I cant see Blalock approaching what Tex will do. Also, Tex will hit cleanup, which means he gets to bat in Young, Soriano, and Blalock. Not bad at all. Tex will just have better numbers across the board, in a shallower position. I think players like Aramis and Chavez can put up similar or better numbers than Blalock in similar picks. I think Tex finishes as the 3rd best 1b this year, maybe 2nd depending on other stuff. (Helton steroids/trade? Thome injury?)

This is all specualtion of course... He hit lefties just fine in 04. He batted
.282 against them. It took Eric Chavez 5 full seasons to crack .250 against southpaws while it took Blalock exactly 1 full season.

Blalock was primarily known for his ability to make good contact in the minors. He developed into the power hitter much quicker than most people expected.

The ONLY knock against Blalock is that he hasn't shown the same developmental consistency as Teixeira. But that is just nitpicking more than anything else. He was so overhyped in his rookie season that he completely failed to perform. He came back very strong in 03 and was on his way to a monster season (21 HR in first half) when his wrist started to hamper his swing and was dreadful in the second half of 04.

We'll see how they do in 05 but to say that they are so much apart in potential or value is a mistake IMO.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:19 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:(Helton steroids/trade? Thome injury?)

Hmm.... Have you ever seen Helton? Does he resemble anyone that has done steroids?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby pat1999 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:26 pm

yea for real...1b is always deeper then 3b

blalock will most likely hit for higher avg and score more runs

while tex will be racking up rbi and hr

a lot of people have tex high on their lists and i see blalock being drafted a round or two after tex. so if tex is cheaper he is is prob the better buy

but this is much closer then everyone is making it out to be...they are both great hitters and will contribute to your team about the same when its all said and done....depending on injuries
greatest game on earth
pat1999
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:33 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:In your opinion, but he can't hit lefties. Will he learn? Who knows. And Lofunzo, Tex is a better HR hitter. I cant see Blalock approaching what Tex will do. Also, Tex will hit cleanup, which means he gets to bat in Young, Soriano, and Blalock. Not bad at all. Tex will just have better numbers across the board, in a shallower position. I think players like Aramis and Chavez can put up similar or better numbers than Blalock in similar picks. I think Tex finishes as the 3rd best 1b this year, maybe 2nd depending on other stuff. (Helton steroids/trade? Thome injury?)

In a short career for both, Tex has been a better HR hitter but the difference is negligible. They both have 64 HR but Tex has done it in 264 less AB. IMHO, it is too early to say which 1 is clearly the better HR hitter. Like I said before, I believe that they will be neck-and-neck in that regard.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby J35J » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:43 pm

I agree with the guys saying it is a close comparison! I would take Teix over Blaylock but I think it is pretty close.

I have Teix with 4-5 mor hr and maybe 5-10 more rbi and maybe .05-.10 better avg for this year. But to be honest I wouldn't be surprised to see that flipped the other way. I think it is too early in their careers to really tell who will be better. I would take Teix to have the better year this year though....

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 621)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers