Sleeper....Huston Street? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sleeper....Huston Street?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:42 am

jaybud wrote:I'm not convinced he's the closer of the future in Oakland. While it's likely Dotel moves on, remember the name Jairo Garcia. While Street has gotten most of the pub, Garcia lit up 3 levels - A, AA, and AAA - on his way to a brief cup of coffee in September. Although he didn't fare well in his brief stint with the A's, his minor league numbers from this year are staggering:

Total over all three levels:

4-2 record
19 saves
61.2 IP
10 ER
1.44 ERA
36 H allowed
1 HR allowed
102 K
30 BB

Reports say he's a Dotel clone with a lightening fastball and a dirty slider. I tend to think Garcia will actually be the eventual closer as Street doesn't have the velocity. Regardless though, he and Street will be a very good 1-2 punch at the end of games in Oakland's near future.

Wow, 1 HR over 61 innings? Pedro could use a mentor.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby so0perspam » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:45 am

slomo007 wrote:
jaybud wrote:I'm not convinced he's the closer of the future in Oakland. While it's likely Dotel moves on, remember the name Jairo Garcia. While Street has gotten most of the pub, Garcia lit up 3 levels - A, AA, and AAA - on his way to a brief cup of coffee in September. Although he didn't fare well in his brief stint with the A's, his minor league numbers from this year are staggering:

4-2 record
19 saves
61.2 IP
10 ER
1.44 ERA
36 H allowed
1 HR allowed
102 K
30 BB

Reports say he's a Dotel clone with a lightening fastball and a dirty slider. I tend to think Garcia will actually be the eventual closer as Street doesn't have the velocity. Regardless though, he and Street will be a very good 1-2 punch at the end of games in Oakland's near future.

He could use a midget now too. :-D
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby slomo007 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:46 am

so0perspam wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

4-2 record
19 saves
61.2 IP
10 ER
1.44 ERA
36 H allowed
1 HR allowed
102 K
30 BB

He could use a midget now too. :-D

Maybe that's why Pedro was giving up HRs. Midgets dig the long ball.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby GSes » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:51 am

not to take anything away frim Huston Street, b/c he is gonna be SICK

but don't forget about JARIO GARCIA,

Garcia is just as highly touted as Street, Garcia's numbers were absolutely retarded in the minors last year

between Street & Garcia the A's 8th and 9th innings will be fun to watch for years to come because of these two young hurlers.

Garcia & Street will be the best 1-2 closer/setup punch in the game in a few years, just wait!
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:58 am

Just a thought... but Oakland will probably keep those 2 in the minors for 2005 so that their arbitration will last another year. I only say this because these 2 are so young and not ready yet IMO, so throwing them to the wolves makes even less sense.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby giants8307 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:35 am

Woah, you guys see that K ratio? 102/61.2 IP! That's something else. And on top of that he only allowed 1 hr? That's insane...Jairo Garcia is now on my radar.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jaybud » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:33 am

Even though this is a Huston Street/the future A's closer thread, since the unbelievable stats I threw out for Garcia impressed so many that were unaware of him, I'll throw out another reliever prospect that maybe no one has heard much of. Chad Orvella, a 24 year old converted SS in the Tampa Bay organization put up numbers arguably better than Garcia. He bettered Garcia's rise through the minors by pitching at all 4 levels this last year - A, A+, AA, AAA. Here are his compiled numbers for all 4 levels:

1-1
12 SV
73.2 IP
14 ER
42 H allowed
7 HR allowed (4 in A, only 3 combined in A+, AA, and AAA)
116 K/10 BB
0.71 WHIP
1.71 ERA

Those are some pretty sick numbers, especially considering a couple years ago he was fielding grounders at SS! He's said to be the heir to the closers throne after Baez in TB. Probably next year (2006) is his year! Yet another name to watch for!!!
jaybud
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:56 am

Street and Garcia are not ready for the bigs. OAK has a ton of good potential relievers already. Two thing will need to happen: 1.the Dotel and the pen suck it and 2. Street and Garcia show that they can take over. My guess is they will join some time in September for the stretch run but any time before is a serious long shot IMO.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GSes » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:50 pm

JARIO GARCIA 2004 stats

Single A level
1-0
16 Saves
0.30 ERA
0.73 WHIP
49 K's
6 BB
30 Innings Pitched

Double A Level
2-0
2 Saves
1.50 ERA
32 K's
15 BB
18 Innings Pitched

Triple A Level
1-2
3.95 ERA
1 Save
21 K's
9 BB
14 Innings Pitched

Jario was lights out, got called up to the a's and stuggled in his bried time with the big league club, he got sent back down to AAA where he finished the year solid. He absolutely dominated in A and AA last season and was very good in AAA and the guy is not even 23 years old yet.

Closer of the future no doubt. He is compared to a young Dotel but he has a 4 to 5 pitch arsenal.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:59 pm

My game plan is to nab him in my minor league draft this week. Probably can wait until the 3rd round of 13 teams
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers