He gets no respect - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

He gets no respect

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

He gets no respect

Postby slomo007 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:09 pm

I know I have posted this in one of my leagues here at the Cafe, but now that I have him in both leagues, I think it's safe for me to say how valuable I think he really is (and how much I would have paid for him in the Veteran Keeper Classic ;-) )

Chone Figgins isn't even in very many people's top 10 or even 15 2b list...why not? What's not to like?

His numbers should actually improve on last years' because the lead off spot is all his now. In a limited lead off role (26 games) he hit .330 scored 19 runs and stole 9 bases. Extrapolated, that would be equivalent to 118 runs and 56 steals. I realize this is a small sample size, and he might decline from those numbers...but I think he's almost a lock to steal 40 or so bases, score 100 runs, and hit .300...from the 2nd base position why is this not top 5 material?

And don't give me this Adam Kennedy will steal his PT garbage....what has Adam Kennedy shown? There is no reason Anaheim will not give him an everyday gig, even at another position, upon Kennedy's return. Add in the fact that he is one of Scioscia's favorite players too.

Last year was not a fluke, he is a legit .300 hitter with a lot of speed and will score a ton of runs at the top of the lineup. Move him up your cheat sheets, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby djacks » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:13 pm

shhh!

Let's keep him our little secret... ;-)
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:26 pm

I'm a fan...almost singlehandedly gave me the clear edge to win last year in one of my leagues when I nabbed him off the wire early.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby CrimeDog » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:28 pm

I'm pretty high on him too, but he's being kept in my money league and the guy who has him isn't letting him go.. :-/
CrimeDog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Re: He gets no respect

Postby LBJackal » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:36 pm

slomo007 wrote:I know I have posted this in one of my leagues here at the Cafe, but now that I have him in both leagues, I think it's safe for me to say how valuable I think he really is (and how much I would have paid for him in the Veteran Keeper Classic ;-) )

Chone Figgins isn't even in very many people's top 10 or even 15 2b list...why not? What's not to like?

His numbers should actually improve on last years' because the lead off spot is all his now. In a limited lead off role (26 games) he hit .330 scored 19 runs and stole 9 bases. Extrapolated, that would be equivalent to 118 runs and 56 steals. I realize this is a small sample size, and he might decline from those numbers...but I think he's almost a lock to steal 40 or so bases, score 100 runs, and hit .300...from the 2nd base position why is this not top 5 material?

And don't give me this Adam Kennedy will steal his PT garbage....what has Adam Kennedy shown? There is no reason Anaheim will not give him an everyday gig, even at another position, upon Kennedy's return. Add in the fact that he is one of Scioscia's favorite players too.

Last year was not a fluke, he is a legit .300 hitter with a lot of speed and will score a ton of runs at the top of the lineup. Move him up your cheat sheets, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I wouldn't say he's better than Kennedy in real life so his PT at 2B isn't guaranteed, but he's certainly better than McPherson so if Kennedy supplants him at 2B he can play 3B. But I agree... he's definately a steal.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:42 pm

I would have agreed with you... but he was HORRIBLE in the playoffs. Plus the addition of Morales, McPherson, Cabrera, Kotchman and a healthy Salmon, Erstad and GA means he will have to earn his PT again.

He is an OK hitter with above average speed and qualifies at multiple positions. He's a nice player to grab late but I wouldn't count on him to be a starter that is for sure.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:50 pm

Well Yoda, I'd like to know what your definition of a starting 2B is. You are going to be hard pressed to find a .300/30 guy, who plays 3 positions. Also, pretty much everyone but Vlad hit terribly in the playoffs. I think Chone is a good value pick in the middle rounds, but did you have to bring this up while he was on the block in my league? And that reminds me, I have to submit my nominees...
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:50 pm

The PT issue is the big one. I know there have been reports saying Figgins will have a starting a job but there is still enough doubt that I wouldn't want to draft him as my primary at any position.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:51 pm

Even if you've never seen him play, you can't say he only has above average speed when the dude got 17 triples last year.

The man can fly. He's the second fastest player I've ever seen. I'm not going to say who I think is the fastest. :-b

He was very underrated last year, and is still underrated this year.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:15 pm

Yoda wrote:I would have agreed with you... but he was HORRIBLE in the playoffs. Plus the addition of Morales, McPherson, Cabrera, Kotchman and a healthy Salmon, Erstad and GA means he will have to earn his PT again.

He is an OK hitter with above average speed and qualifies at multiple positions. He's a nice player to grab late but I wouldn't count on him to be a starter that is for sure.

:-?
As I recall, Kennedy was a platoon guy until the middle of '03. Since he'll be shelved at the beginning of the season and Figgins will have the job, it's simply a matter of Chone playing well enough to keep it. With his tools and accumulating experience, I believe he will.

Just my 2c, of course, but I've got him in my top 10 at 2b.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers