Draft Strategy: Position Runs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft Strategy: Position Runs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:30 pm

I think that is the direction I would have went to....draft best availible and then look to post draft trades to get and ace for my team...Or even doing a mid draft trade givng up a hitter and a draft spot might not be a bad idea... :-?
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pgbridge2000 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:40 pm

Just because its a keeper don't only play for the future, try to win now and pick up young starters next time there is a draft.

That having been said I think you have two options: A) Draft pitchers as you see fit to try to fill out the position and hope to stay in the middle of the pack in pitching and win it with good hitting.
B) Draft not only the hitters you want, but look at other teams and draft the hitter's they'll want. If almost every catcher is gone and it looks like one team is gonna wait till the end for him because no one else wants him, grab the catcher and offer yours or his up for a pitcher trade. Grab tons of guys who put up numbers and try to make some trades for struggling pitchers (i.e. santana at the beginnnig of last year). Then for your own pitchers just draft sleepers (i.e. Santana last year) and hope for the best. If their young they may fetch a pretty penny come time to chose keepers.
There are 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
pgbridge2000
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:49 pm

My strategy is to stick to my gameplan and draft the most valuable players that are available, regardless of whatever anyone else is doing. If everyone else starts drafting certain players too early, let them. You'll feast on better players while they indulge their paranoia.

Just take a simple example. Let's say there's a run on catchers in the second round. Do you jump in and grab Javy Lopez with your 15th pick, or do you take Beltre, Crawford, or Prior? There's no question in my mind which pick is better.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:03 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:My strategy is to stick to my gameplan and draft the most valuable players that are available, regardless of whatever anyone else is doing. If everyone else starts drafting certain players too early, let them. You'll feast on better players while they indulge their paranoia.

Just take a simple example. Let's say there's a run on catchers in the second round. Do you jump in and grab Javy Lopez with your 15th pick, or do you take Beltre, Crawford, or Prior? There's no question in my mind which pick is better.

I agree completely. I guess it just isn't that cut and dry, however. I value Sexson higher than I valued Mussina, Zito and Clemens in this dynasty league, but it was made so much closer due to the fact that I have no pitchers. I'll still ended up going with Sexson, though I'm not sure if that will prove to be the smart move in the end. We shall see.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:42 pm

I think that was the right move, pokerplaya ;-D I'm not gonna tell you what to do in the future for obvious reasons :-D , but I'll be happy to add feedback to your moves. ;-D
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:53 pm

Bloody Nipples wrote:I think that was the right move, pokerplaya ;-D I'm not gonna tell you what to do in the future for obvious reasons :-D , but I'll be happy to add feedback to your moves. ;-D

I definitely don't want anyone in the league especially telling me what to do. I knew in my heart that I was going to take Sexson regardless of the feedback (unless it was 100% against going for more offense, then I would have had to at least think twice about it). I just like getting the input of others, and I love when people criticize and praise my moves after I have made them. It helps me be a better player in general. I think Sexson was the right move in that situation, so I followed my instincts.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:57 pm

pokerplaya wrote:and I love when people criticize and praise my moves after I have made them. It helps me be a better player in general.

I love that, too. And that extends to things outside of fantasy, such as poker (damn its fun to have your opponents analyze the crap out of you only to be wrong :-D ) and other things.

;-D
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pat1999 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:01 pm

i think you should have taken schmidt over ichiro
greatest game on earth
pat1999
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:00 pm

You describe almost the identical scenario to the one I had last year (drafting 12th of 14). When a couple big early pitching runs got under way, I waited until round 7 and grabbed Santana for my first pitcher.

A couple weeks in, I traded BGiles (my 5th-rounder) for Mulder (his 3rd-rounder). Worked out pretty well for a few months, until Mulder's self-immolation.
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

run on pitchers

Postby djack909 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:37 pm

That happened to me 3 years ago. So i grabed one SP early (halliday) and just Filled out my position players. I picked up some young pitchers next IIshi,Padilla,Odalis perez. They aslo ran the closers so I had to take a chance on 3 who had never had a save Gagne, Julio. and Herges. By June 1st I had allready won the league and at the all-star break my team it was 3rd over-all in yahoo 118 pts. Position players Pujouls, casstillo, eckstein, thome,rameriz,anderson. edmonds, helton, posada
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers