A-Rod on 'The Slap': 'a smart play..we almost got away with' - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod on 'The Slap': 'a smart play..we almost got away with'

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:33 pm

Carey Saders wrote:If ARod has such a lack of character, then I wonder what his motive was in giving the money to begin with.

This is a sickening statement. It is his right to keep all his money if he wants to, and he has chosen to give some of it away and you are criticizing him for it? Did you read the entire article? Or just the bs section that Pacman cut? Think thread is just appalling.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:54 pm

Who cares? ARod will never win anything no matter what he does. Nothing that he did was cheating, it was all in the realm of the game, although it makes him out. Wouldn't you rather have a player admit to something like this than steroids? I find what ARod did nothing more than a competitive strategy that's been blown way out of proportion. If you wanna bitch and moan about the example a player is setting how could you choose this when Sosa walks out on his team, Canseco does what he does, and Cordero throws a chair into fan seating.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Carey Saders » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:41 pm

I'm not meaning to ruffle anyone's feathers here. What's sickening to me is the fact that he thinks cheating is ok. To me, it's a sad commentary on our society.

I can not know his motive for giving millions. I can see that he has a character issue based on his thinking cheating is something to laugh about.

I hate to get into post wars so I'll bow out.

P.S. You are right lesgrant. I am blowing this out of proportion. There have been greater evils in the last months than ARod's cheating and thinking it's ok. Sometimes, I get tired of the "self-righteous" card people play when you stand against something. Not everyone thinks it's a big deal, but it is to me.

Having said that, I still want ARod's autograph. :)
Last edited by Carey Saders on Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pacman » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:45 pm

Yoda wrote:
That is like cat calling the kettle black.

:-?
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:05 pm

Pacman wrote:
Yoda wrote:
That is like cat calling the kettle black.

:-?

Keep dwelling in the past... That is what some of you Red Sox fans are awesome at. ;-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DK » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:16 pm

This is resorting to name-calling. Please, stop it now.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: A-Rod on 'The Slap': 'a smart play..we almost got away with'

Postby JGreer » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:47 pm

Cheating is cheating... and A-Rod's comments are wrong.[/quote]

There is a fine line between cheating and smart, heads up play in all sports. Where do you draw the line on something like this?? Is a foul in basketball cheating? What about holding in Football? If you get away with it it's smart. Put the burden on the refs to catch you holding. I wouldn't treat it the same. As a person from Chicago, you do sound like a whiny red sox fan. As for who the little leaguers should idolize, I think ARod is a pretty good choice. Let me remind you.......YOU GUYS WON!! It's over. Enjoy it and get on with your life!!!!
JGreer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DK » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:11 pm

lesgrant wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:If David Wright did and said the same thing, I'd feel the same way.

If David Wright did the same thing, you wouldn’t CARE enough about it to sift through a 4 (at this post) page thread about it.

Besides, how do you know David Wright hasn’t done something like that at some point in his career? What? You’ve seen every game and every AB he’s ever had, all the way back to little league?

That’s what makes this thread self-righteously hypocritical.

Well, not to get into a posting war, but this is a fruitless thing to discuss, since it can't be proven one way or the other. For A-Rod, it can.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby davidmarver » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:16 am

DK wrote:This is resorting to name-calling. Please, stop it now.

(Drum roll please) The Met fan is right. From first-hand experience, you will regret pointless arguments like these.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:36 am

Sigh, why does it seem some days that the whole baseball world revolves around Yankees~Red Sox? Anyone else tired of the only 2 teams in baseball? Maybe the MLB should expand to more! ;-7
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers