A-Rod on 'The Slap': 'a smart play..we almost got away with' - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod on 'The Slap': 'a smart play..we almost got away with'

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:36 pm

He didn't say that it was smart to cheat. He said it was a smart play. Some of you are using the word 'cheat' very loosely. There was no deceit involved here. It was a reaction, not premeditated and he got punished for doing it.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lesgrant » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:37 pm

Yoda wrote:
kage812004 wrote:i couldnt agree with u more on the arod thing, i cant stand the guy and his comments on this subject and the comments he made about schilling are unreal. these yankee fans in here make me laugh :-b

That is like cat calling the kettle black. Schilling has always been a yapper. Just ask RJ and Pedro. The guy is a great pitcher but most people can't stand him because of his fat mouth.

Yankees fans couldn't give too shits about the Red Sox and what they do. Even after beating the Yanks and winning the WS, some Red Sox fans are still complaining about something Arod did 3 months ago. When will you guys get over it?

So typical of much of RSN. They talk smack for 20 years and the ONE time their team delivers they act as if the Red Sox have won all the championships and the Yankees have been the goat all along.

And it isn’t just Schilling that runs his mouth. Damon and Ortiz do their fair share of ‘insert foot’ PR.

And Curt WAS ‘crying like a baby on the bench’ after getting roughed up in that September YS series. He’s still talking smack about starting opening day from his hospital bed – as if the jury’s not out on whether or not he’ll be able to pitch effectively again.

As for this thread, only a Red Sox fan could be bitter in victory. Truly pathetic.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Carey Saders » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:52 pm

lesgrant wrote:As for this thread, only a Red Sox fan could be bitter in victory. Truly pathetic.

Think what you want, but I think that Pacman is right. I'm not a Red Sox fan, and I think it's detestable what ARod said. Not just stupid in a "what an idiot" kind of way but abhorent. Makes me SICK.

ARod appears to be a fine, upstanding citizen. He donated millions to his Miami University. He does all kind of charity work. Yet this makes all that meaningless.

Obviously, we live in a nation where right and wrong are irrelevent.
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:00 pm

Yoda wrote:
giants8307 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
giants8307 wrote:Did anyone see that Brett Myers quote that was up here a couple days ago? He said he had a good year because he had 11 wins, irrespective of his 5+ ERA. Maybe he's just a natural "winner." Do you think he had a good year? Me either...Maybe he's just a natural "winner," though.

I think it is ridiculous for someone to compare what Myers means to his team versus what Brady means to his team. I wouldn't even know where to begin...

Brady's obviously better, but that winning is more about your team than yourself, irrespective of sport. If myers were on the expos, he would ahve had 4 or 5 wins. If brady were on the dolphins, they would have had maybe 6 wins.

Wow... I am speechless... 8-o
Pssh, I bet you without Bellichek Brady and the Pats would be a .500 team. The system is that good. Anyways, you can stretch the rules to win. This is the pros dude, not your local little league, so you do what you can without getting caught. Its not cheating if you dont get caught.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Carey Saders » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:02 pm

It is cheating if you don't get caught.
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lesgrant » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:07 pm

Carey Saders wrote:
lesgrant wrote:As for this thread, only a Red Sox fan could be bitter in victory. Truly pathetic.

Think what you want, but I think that Pacman is right. I'm not a Red Sox fan, and I think it's detestable what ARod said. Not just stupid in a "what an idiot" kind of way but abhorent. Makes me SICK.

ARod appears to be a fine, upstanding citizen. He donated millions to his Miami University. He does all kind of charity work. Yet this makes all that meaningless.

Obviously, we live in a nation where right and wrong are irrelevent.

Wow. Talking about blowing this out of proportion!

You actually mean to say that the ‘slap’ is of greater significance to needy individual than a scholarship or any of the other charitable work he’s done and all of the money he’s given?

Think about that.

A play on a baseball field is more significant than a scholarship – even if that scholarship barely covers a bus ticket home on Thanksgiving?

But that warped sense of priorities is consistent with some of the things going on in MLB – like a millionaire player fighting with a millionaire owner over a stupid baseball when there are scores suffering in the wake of a natural disaster.

No wonder you agree with the originator of this thread.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:09 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Even though I'm not one for saying "But Think of the Children!" in a hysterically high voice, you're right. Arod came out and said that it was okay for him to cheat because he thought he could get away with it.

Maybe I'm a little too idealistic, but I think baseball should be a fun game that helps boys grow up. Helps to teach them the value of teamwork and fair play and etc. Arod came out and told my players (I help coach high school baseball) that it's okay to cheat if you think you can get away with it. The guy is a schmuck. It has nothing to do with the Yankees or the Red Sox or anyone else. If David Wright did and said the same thing, I'd feel the same way.

He's a schmuck.

Sorry but when you try to call for someone to be morally "better" and then yourself go and resort to name-calling, you lose pretty much all validity IMO.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Carey Saders » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:20 pm

Yes, what ARod did was great. A great, great deed that will help people. But I have a desire to see role models with CHARACTER. Not just money. If ARod has such a lack of character, then I wonder what his motive was in giving the money to begin with.

I'm trying to teach my daughter that cheating is wrong. Our "idols" say crap like ARod said. Then we act like it's no big deal.

Right is right and wrong is wrong.
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lesgrant » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:22 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:If David Wright did and said the same thing, I'd feel the same way.

If David Wright did the same thing, you wouldn’t CARE enough about it to sift through a 4 (at this post) page thread about it.

Besides, how do you know David Wright hasn’t done something like that at some point in his career? What? You’ve seen every game and every AB he’s ever had, all the way back to little league?

That’s what makes this thread self-righteously hypocritical.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:28 pm

The ONLY think Arod did wrong is that he opened his mouth which I hope he's learned not to do. People say stupid things that they don't mean all the time. Especially pro athletes whose brains are smaller and not as educated as most of the folks on these message boards.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers