A-Rod on 'The Slap': 'a smart play..we almost got away with' - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod on 'The Slap': 'a smart play..we almost got away with'

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:13 pm

giants8307 wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love Brady. He's an alum of my high school and I'll root for him every game I see, but I don't believe in "winners" and "losers." I think winning's more a product of a team of good players, than one individual leading an average team. For example, I've herad people say luis castillo is better than giles because he has a ring(possibly 2?). That's extreme, but I'm saying Brady's overrated because people have been calling him the best QB in the league. He's for sure a very good, efficient QB who understands routes and timing with the best of them. But better than Manning just because he wins? No way.

You are comparing apples and oranges--footbal and baseball are nothing alike.

In baseball, it is a series of individual matchups. You throw the ball, I hit it. So comparing players based on winning doesn't fly.

I'd argue it doesn't work in football, either, except for the QB. By virtue of the position, he's in charge of the game. His job isn't necessarily to throw deep out patterns, it is to manage the game. He is directly responsible in a huge way for how his team performs. That is why it is the most indispensible position in football.

All Brady does is win. You'd be foolish to pick anyone else in football today if you want to win a game.

Someone on the other side said to me that Manning is very good, but has had a few bad games against good defenses in the playoffs... hello??!? And he wants a QB that doesn't perform outdoors against good defenses, in the playoffs? I'm sorry, I'll take Montana over Marino every day of the week, and I'll take Brady over Manning.

I still don't get how this guy is underrated. People say it's the system, or the coach, or something else. It's him, people. Anyone see that bomb in the Pitt game? Perfectly placed....

Anyway, sorry to hijack this thread. I'm dumbfounded.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:16 pm

kage812004 wrote:i couldnt agree with u more on the arod thing, i cant stand the guy and his comments on this subject and the comments he made about schilling are unreal. these yankee fans in here make me laugh :-b

That is like cat calling the kettle black. Schilling has always been a yapper. Just ask RJ and Pedro. The guy is a great pitcher but most people can't stand him because of his fat mouth.

Yankees fans couldn't give too shits about the Red Sox and what they do. Even after beating the Yanks and winning the WS, some Red Sox fans are still complaining about something Arod did 3 months ago. When will you guys get over it?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby giants8307 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:19 pm

Did anyone see that Brett Myers quote that was up here a couple days ago? He said he had a good year because he had 11 wins, irrespective of his 5+ ERA. Do you think he had a good year? Me either...Maybe he's just a natural "winner," though.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:20 pm

giants8307 wrote:Did anyone see that Brett Myers quote that was up here a couple days ago? He said he had a good year because he had 11 wins, irrespective of his 5+ ERA. Maybe he's just a natural "winner." Do you think he had a good year? Me either...Maybe he's just a natural "winner," though.

I think it is ridiculous for someone to compare what Myers means to his team versus what Brady means to his team. I wouldn't even know where to begin...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:21 pm

Even though I'm not one for saying "But Think of the Children!" in a hysterically high voice, you're right. Arod came out and said that it was okay for him to cheat because he thought he could get away with it.

Maybe I'm a little too idealistic, but I think baseball should be a fun game that helps boys grow up. Helps to teach them the value of teamwork and fair play and etc. Arod came out and told my players (I help coach high school baseball) that it's okay to cheat if you think you can get away with it. The guy is a schmuck. It has nothing to do with the Yankees or the Red Sox or anyone else. If David Wright did and said the same thing, I'd feel the same way.

He's a schmuck.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby giants8307 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:22 pm

Yoda wrote:
giants8307 wrote:Did anyone see that Brett Myers quote that was up here a couple days ago? He said he had a good year because he had 11 wins, irrespective of his 5+ ERA. Maybe he's just a natural "winner." Do you think he had a good year? Me either...Maybe he's just a natural "winner," though.

I think it is ridiculous for someone to compare what Myers means to his team versus what Brady means to his team. I wouldn't even know where to begin...

Brady's obviously better, but I'm saying that winning is more about your team than yourself, irrespective of sport. If myers were on the expos, he would have had 4 or 5 wins. If brady were on the dolphins, they would have had maybe 6 wins.
Last edited by giants8307 on Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:23 pm

giants8307 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Brady's obviously better, but that winning is more about your team than yourself, irrespective of sport. If myers were on the expos, he would ahve had 4 or 5 wins. If brady were on the dolphins, they would have had maybe 6 wins.

Wow... I am speechless... 8-o
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby giants8307 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:24 pm

Yoda wrote:
giants8307 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Brady's obviously better, but that winning is more about your team than yourself, irrespective of sport. If myers were on the expos, he would ahve had 4 or 5 wins. If brady were on the dolphins, they would have had maybe 6 wins.

Wow... I am speechless... 8-o

Care to explain why? Or are ya just gonna leave me hangin'?
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pacman » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:30 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Even though I'm not one for saying "But Think of the Children!" in a hysterically high voice, you're right. Arod came out and said that it was okay for him to cheat because he thought he could get away with it.

Maybe I'm a little too idealistic, but I think baseball should be a fun game that helps boys grow up. Helps to teach them the value of teamwork and fair play and etc. Arod came out and told my players (I help coach high school baseball) that it's okay to cheat if you think you can get away with it. The guy is a schmuck. It has nothing to do with the Yankees or the Red Sox or anyone else. If David Wright did and said the same thing, I'd feel the same way.

He's a schmuck.

Thanks for adding that, Absolutley Adequate. I tried to preface this whole thing by saying I was making a point as a coach and a father, and by predicting that team rivalry stuff would get in the way of the discussion.

Incidentally, I know the Red Sox won, I know it happened 3 months ago. I AM happy and I WAS over all the negative Yankee stuff.

But today, (not 3 months ago) A-rod decided to say publicaly that he was smart to cheat. And that's what I was referring to.

And I'm still not sure what the Schilling comments have to do with this discussion. Schilling is a great pitcher, who was heroic in the post season, who happens to talk a little too much, and who sucks at Texas Hold 'Em. But he doesn't tell kids its ok to cheat if you think you can get away with it.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:35 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Arod came out and told my players (I help coach high school baseball) that it's okay to cheat if you think you can get away with it. The guy is a schmuck.
He's a schmuck.

I am hoping that Arod learns from this experience as to what to say and what not to say. He should have kept his mouth shut. I think a lot of people, teammates and fans lost a lot of respect for him. But as long as he hits 45 bombs and drives in 130 runs, everything will be fine.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers