A-Rod on 'The Slap': 'a smart play..we almost got away with' - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod on 'The Slap': 'a smart play..we almost got away with'

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Heimush » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:45 pm

I am as big a Yankee fan as anyone...

...Arod is a punk.

You are absolutely right about this issue IMO.
"Inconceivable!"

"This word...I do not think it means what you think it means."
Heimush
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Strasil42 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:48 pm

Pacman wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:go cry about it like schilling.

Wow, thanks so much for addressing the topic, Strasil.

hey thats why im here

;-D ;-D
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:49 pm

It's funny that Red Sox fans care more about the Yankees than their own team. Shouldn't they be focused on their team and new players joining them?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby thomasps3 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:51 pm

It's funny. In a hot stove league as active as this one has been, this story continues on. What a sad commentary on the media today and what we think is pertinent.

:-t :-t
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby tlef316 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:59 pm

he was obviously gonna be tagged out, so he made a natural reaction. I dont blame the guy for doing it, nor would i blame manny ramirez or jonny damon if they had tried the same thing. He tried to break the rules, and the umpires made the right call

It was do or die time and A-rod made the only play he could think of. Rule bending like that happens in every sport. Hell, some guys make a career out of it. Get over it, the sox won. It means nothing.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:01 pm

It was a pretty memorable event as far as post-seasons go. I think we'll be talking about this one for a long time. It's pertinent IMO.

As for the comments I don't think they are that big of deal. The comparison to Sosa is unfair because Sosa was being deceitful. Arod didn't cheat. He did what he did in full view of the umpires. It was a mistake and it got overturned. It's not that big of a deal.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:08 pm

Glove-slapping when you are getting tagged is a part of the game. You are supposed to be a little more subtle. A-Rod did it badly on that play, but it was a desperate move.

It's just like sweeping your foot on a slide to try and break up a DP or get a steal. You are not supposed to do it, but if it is subtle enough, it is not a big deal.

I see what you are saying about little leaguers hearing that A-Rod would push the rules to win, but I don't think that is as bad of a message as you are making it here, certainly not as bad as your other examples.

I have been a Red Sox fan since I was a little kid rigging up a clothes hanger to my UHF to tune in TV38. I didn't want A-Rod last winter so much, and I thought 'the slap' was the right play at the right time.

In a strange way, them winning the Series has made me less of a Sox fan. Glad it was the Yanks they beat, though.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby acsguitar » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:13 pm

Strasil42 wrote:go cry about it like schilling.

hahahhahaha Agreed...I thought it was bush league but if it woulda got the yanks to the series I would enjoyed hearing Redsox whine...by the way you won so stop whinning
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby pat1999 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:35 pm

i saw nothing wrong with this play, its similar to how players used to try and stab each other with their cleats sliding into second base. besides "cheating" is accepted in baseball. atleast half the league has done steroids at one point or another
greatest game on earth
pat1999
College Coach
College Coach

Postby giants8307 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:42 pm

blankman wrote:
cannonarm21 wrote:A few years ago remember the Tom Brady tuckld he have pleaded with the refs to give the ball to the Raiders. You do what you can to help your team win. I cannot put corking a bat and doing roids in the same category as a little slap during the heat of competition. Corking and roiding is a little more pre-meditated.

Good analogy.

I disagree. A-Rod tried to cheat, and then lied about it to the umpires by saying it was part of his natural running motion. Brady didn't try to cheat, and didn't lie to any officials afterward. Conclusion: A-Rod's a tool and Brady's a little overrated, but at least he doesn't lie to influence the outcome of a game.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers