Burnitz to Cubs deal almost done - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Burnitz to Cubs deal almost done

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:39 pm

RugbyD wrote:As if there was still any quaestion:

the Trib is reporting that once Sosa passes his physical and the deal is official, the Cubs will announce a 1-yr deal for $4m with Burnitz, mutual 2006 option.

I think the Sosa deal is completed. Press conference at 6pm ET.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DieHardCubbie » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:55 pm

the Trib is reporting that once Sosa passes his physical and the deal is official, the Cubs will announce a 1-yr deal for $4m with Burnitz, mutual 2006 option.

So the Cubs pay $8 Million for Sammy to leave and $4 million for Burnitz...thats a $12 million total for a .250 hitter in RF....I guess it is better than the $19 million Sammy was owed...but I think there were better track to take.... :-/
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby daveblotto » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:56 pm

Hey at least we're used to a .250 hitter who can't play the outfield, and Strikes out 150 Times per year. I predict Burnitz's #'s to be very comparable to Sammy's by years end. I PRAY that this is not the only Move Hendry has left!!! :-o
daveblotto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:59 pm

And so ends one of the worst offseason set of (non) moves this year. Yuck. Burnitz, Hairston, Patterson, theres an allstar lineup!!
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DieHardCubbie » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:01 pm

daveblotto wrote:Hey at least we're used to a .250 hitter who can't play the outfield, and Strikes out 150 Times per year. I predict Burnitz's #'s to be very comparable to Sammy's by years end. I PRAY that this is not the only Move Hendry has left!!! :-o

I am pretty sure Mr. Hendry has a move or two left up his sleeve...but like CubsFan said...It has been a pretty dismal offseason so far... :-/

But I still have faith in Mr. Hendry...and the Tribunes pocket book... B-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:41 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:

So the Cubs pay $8 Million for Sammy to leave and $4 million for Burnitz...thats a $12 million total for a .250 hitter in RF....I guess it is better than the $19 million Sammy was owed...but I think there were better track to take.... :-/

according to the numbers reported by rotoworld the cubs are paying $12 mil for sosa and $5 mil for burnitz. i think sosa was set to make about $17 so its basically an even swap of burnitz for sosa. :-t in my opinion. i would think it would be better to stage a fake makeup between baker and sosa for the media or even fire dusty (never liked him) and let sosa walk at the end of the year.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:43 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:I am pretty sure Mr. Hendry has a move or two left up his sleeve...but like CubsFan said...It has been a pretty dismal offseason so far... :-/

But I still have faith in Mr. Hendry...and the Tribunes pocket book... B-)

the cubs have enough prospects to swing a couple trades. they seem to be able to get what they want at the deadline for a bargain price. they just need to keep themselves in the race until then.

i dont necessarily have faith in the trib opening their pocket books, but i am a cards fan so i cant say it really bothers me.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Lil' Doug Dascenzo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:44 pm

I've seen a couple of reports (Yahoo, ESPN) that the Cubs are getting Jorge Julio as part of the Sosa deal. If that is true, that makes the situation a little easier to swallow.
Lil' Doug Dascenzo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RugbyD » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:47 pm

the $12 figure for Sosa that's been reported is actually 2 separate things. They are picking up $8m of this year's salary and sporting the full $4.5 for next year's buyout in order for Sosa to waive the automatic 2006 $18m salary if traded.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby RugbyD » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:48 pm

Lil' Doug Dascenzo wrote:I've seen a couple of reports (Yahoo, ESPN) that the Cubs are getting Jorge Julio as part of the Sosa deal. If that is true, that makes the situation a little easier to swallow.

Julio is not part of the deal, but the idea is likely to be revisited for a separate deal.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers