Burnitz to Cubs deal almost done - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Burnitz to Cubs deal almost done

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:18 pm

red wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:there are rumors this morning that the Mets might be interested in Maggs. :-o

Hey Cornbread-- got a link? I just searched the usual suspects in New York and haven't found a story...

That unnamed source is most likely working for Boras. I really don't believe the Mets are involved. If the reports of Detroit's offer are true I find it very hard to believe that the Mets would beat that. I believe this is an attempt by Boras to get the Tigers to bid against themselves.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daveblotto » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:58 pm

Keep in mind that the TRIBUNE is the company that Owns the Cubs and WGN.
daveblotto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:03 pm

Amazinz wrote:
red wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:there are rumors this morning that the Mets might be interested in Maggs. :-o

Hey Cornbread-- got a link? I just searched the usual suspects in New York and haven't found a story...

That unnamed source is most likely working for Boras. I really don't believe the Mets are involved. If the reports of Detroit's offer are true I find it very hard to believe that the Mets would beat that. I believe this is an attempt by Boras to get the Tigers to bid against themselves.

agreed - and DDombrowski isnt buying it either. He's doing the same thing but in a negative way by saying things like "he isnt in shape" or "of course the injury is a concern for us" - basically downplaying Maggs status and the Tigers interest in the media. Its a silly game of cat and mouse or a kind of blindmans-bluff poker.
Boras is fishing, but their really arent any serious bites. Obviously the Cubs and Oriols have backed off - and Boras can see that as anyone else can too. He had to generate more hype which is why the Mets were brought up. Its a stupid game, but Im just glad we have an owner that isnt falling for it.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby xeifrank » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:05 pm

Registered_Guest wrote:I hate it & I will throw beer on Burnitz in right field if he's there on Opening Day. The guy is a career loser, who never has nor ever will win a thing..

Got Anger Management? :)
Isn't it nice that fans feel they can joke about assualting baseball players. Ever see the Ron Artest incident on tape?

vr

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lil' Doug Dascenzo » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:07 pm

Let's all bear in mind that the Cubs team that won the division and came within 5 outs of the World Series in 2003 entered that season with Erik Karros, Alex Gonzalez, and Mark Belhorn (before he went to Boston and figured out how to hit) as everyday players.

Jim Hendry made moves to get guys like Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton before the trade deadline that year. Is Burnitz my favorite option? No, but I have faith that if the Cubs need a bat at some point during the season they will get one.
Lil' Doug Dascenzo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby retraj2 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:20 am

[quote="Lil' Doug Dascenzo"]Let's all bear in mind that the Cubs team that won the division and came within 5 outs of the World Series in 2003 entered that season with Erik Karros, Alex Gonzalez, and Mark Belhorn (before he went to Boston and figured out how to hit) as everyday players.

Jim Hendry made moves to get guys like Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton before the trade deadline that year. Is Burnitz my favorite option? No, but I have faith that if the Cubs need a bat at some point during the season they will get one.[/quote]

Exactly! I am a lifelong Cubs fan and knowing that Hendry is in charge doesn't make nervous at all. In fact I am confident that he will do the best within his powers to make the Cubs competitive. Remember everybody, last year was the first time in FOREVER that the cubs had back-to-back winning seasons, not to mention coming within 1 game of the playoffs for two years in a row.

Burnitz is an option at RF, and not a horrible one. He is better than any of the current options, and who cares if your #8 hitter strikes out 100+ times, if he gets 25+ HR and 80+ RBI, that's far from the worse you could do! People are so quick to forget about the days when the bottom 3 of the Cubs order were guaranteed outs.

To respond to the original post, nothing is final with Hendry until the deal is reported confirmed by ESPN. It could be Burnitz, it could be Mags, Huff, who knows. Remember, the Nomar deal was out of nowhere last trade deadline. The same can be said of reporting by the Tribune and the Sun Times. Both actually do a great job of sports reporting along with the sports talk shows in Chicago. So who do I trust? I trust it when the deal is finally made, outside of that, I love talking over speculative trades and rumors...it is great for Chicago sports. Knowing Hendry, he'll probably pull off a deal no one ever thought of like acquiring Graves and Griffey from the Reds and solving both RF and Closer openings.
retraj2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Registered_Guest » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:31 am

xeifrank wrote:
Registered_Guest wrote:I hate it & I will throw beer on Burnitz in right field if he's there on Opening Day. The guy is a career loser, who never has nor ever will win a thing..

Got Anger Management? :)
Isn't it nice that fans feel they can joke about assualting baseball players. Ever see the Ron Artest incident on tape?

vr

Xeifrank

I can always "accidently" spill my beer on him.....It's a long flyball to right, back goes Burnitz...to the track....(beer "falls" over)...GONE!!!

Welcome to Chicago Jeromy. Be prepared to be booed out of Chicago by July.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby red » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:10 pm

Amazinz wrote:
red wrote:

You can relax about the Mets getting involved, I think. As of today (in an article about Cameron from the daily news:

But Cameron, mentioning his limited no-trade clause, called the latter rumor unlikely. Nor does it appear that the former might happen, with Omar Minaya giving the impression lately that he is done dealing. And, according to a source, the Mets aren't planning to attend free agent Magglio Ordoñez's workout later this week.

So--- Burnitz to Cubs is basically done; no Maggs for the Mets, that leaves: the Tigers v. The Tigers for Maggs...
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:16 pm

red wrote:So--- Burnitz to Cubs is basically done; no Maggs for the Mets, that leaves: the Tigers v. The Tigers for Maggs...

I am pretty sure DDombrowski understands this - at least I hope he does. He is saying the right things and displaying the patience needed to call Boras' bluff. The spin and media push Boras has unleashed over the last week is staggering, but at this point its pretty evident to everyone involved that the rumors are originating from the Boras camp. Detroit will more than likely still sign Maggs, and we'll do it patiently on our own terms.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RugbyD » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:23 pm

As if there was still any quaestion:

the Trib is reporting that once Sosa passes his physical and the deal is official, the Cubs will announce a 1-yr deal for $4m with Burnitz, mutual 2006 option.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers