Burnitz to Cubs deal almost done - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Burnitz to Cubs deal almost done

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby red » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:17 pm

Maybe I'm missing something; not the first time, won't be the last: but isn't he the best option available?
Huff costs you Zambrano-- I'd rather Zambrano than Huff, as I think most people would.
Maggs is so fragile he won't even work out for a team, yet he wants a ludicrous contract of Delgado-like-years-and-money...
So, Burnitz... that doesn't strike me as so bad. I mean, it's not the same as having Alou.. but you knew you weren't getting Alou a long time ago; you all wanted Sammy to go...
Who, exactly, did you expect to replace him?
It strikes me of all the alternatives, this is the safest and wisest choice. At worst- he's Sosa without the attitude
At best, he's .265 30-90
It's worth a shot...
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby red » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:26 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:there are rumors this morning that the Mets might be interested in Maggs. :-o

Hey Cornbread-- got a link? I just searched the usual suspects in New York and haven't found a story...
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:32 pm

Expect .265 from Burnitz? In the previous 3 seasons he hit .239, .215, and .251, with last year hitting .244 away from Coors. Just because a player is the best one out there now does not mean you up and sign him out of desperation. That's why Burnitz is demanding the outrageous 5 million, he knows he's it right now. The Cubs didn't make it to the play-offs last year do to injuries and an end of the year collapse. IMO the Cubs have not positioned themselves to take the Cards on for the Central this year, with a terrible bullpen and injuries waiting to appear on their starting staff.

BTW I'm not sure Patterson is that much better of an OF. He hits for good power, but a career OBP of .303? Wow. He's extremely SO prone, and he needs to be putting up much better numbers to justify his terrible SO ratio and low OBP.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:33 pm

red - this is not Delgado money or Beltran money or Beltre money or ...

Maggs is going to have a contract heavily weighted on performance and injury clauses. Basically all that means is that the large health risk will be built into it. It really is a way to mitigate the risk associated with Maggs. If he is healthy and if he performs up to expectations, then yes he will get money similar to those guys listed above. The difference is those guys earned the money when they signed on the dotted line while Maggs will earn his money every AB.

As for the Mets rumor - again, it appears as just a vague rumor that was more than likely leaked by Boras to drive up demand a bit - but here it is:

http://www.freep.com/sports/tigers/tige ... 050201.htm
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RugbyD » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:46 pm

red wrote:Maybe I'm missing something; not the first time, won't be the last: but isn't he the best option available?
Huff costs you Zambrano-- I'd rather Zambrano than Huff, as I think most people would.
Maggs is so fragile he won't even work out for a team, yet he wants a ludicrous contract of Delgado-like-years-and-money...
So, Burnitz... that doesn't strike me as so bad. I mean, it's not the same as having Alou.. but you knew you weren't getting Alou a long time ago; you all wanted Sammy to go...
Who, exactly, did you expect to replace him?
It strikes me of all the alternatives, this is the safest and wisest choice. At worst- he's Sosa without the attitude
At best, he's .265 30-90
It's worth a shot...

I'd rather we save the money and platoon Hollandsworth/Dubois until a midseason trade can be made. It'll give time to see how the lineup meshes and our starters can keep us in the race well enough along the way.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Registered_Guest » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:20 pm

Well of course we won't give Carlos for Huff, but the Cubs have the prospects to make a deal for Huff to happen.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: ...

Postby LBJackal » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:00 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
riverrat wrote:Burnitz put-up Sosa numbers of last year. He really is Sosa-lite. The question of "where is the power" is now answered. 35-80 rbi's next year is Sam-me-me-me-me. This is an acceptable alternative to Mr. Me. Sam-me-me-me hit only in the .250's...Burnitz will match that at least. The Cubs have their power back. Period.
I wouldn't count on it. Burnitz hit .244 BA/.327 OBP/ .448 SLG away from Coors last year.

.327 OBA isn't bad considering Patterson was .297 on the road :-o And Sosa was .304 on the road. Hairston and Burnitz could both very easily be better than anybody the Cubs had in the OF last year or this year. I don't know if that shows how bad their OF was last year, or how good their OF will be this year. I'd say it's mostly the former.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:01 pm

RAmst23 wrote:BTW I'm not sure Patterson is that much better of an OF. He hits for good power, but a career OBP of .303? Wow. He's extremely SO prone, and he needs to be putting up much better numbers to justify his terrible SO ratio and low OBP.

This is the part I don't understand. Considering Patterson's numbers, Hairston looks like an ideal fit for the leadoff spot. Yet where does an outfield of

Hollandsworth-Patterson-Burnitz

leave Hairston? :-?
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby davidmarver » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:02 pm

AKhomebrewer wrote:
RAmst23 wrote:BTW I'm not sure Patterson is that much better of an OF. He hits for good power, but a career OBP of .303? Wow. He's extremely SO prone, and he needs to be putting up much better numbers to justify his terrible SO ratio and low OBP.

This is the part I don't understand. Considering Patterson's numbers, Hairston looks like an ideal fit for the leadoff spot. Yet where does an outfield of

Hollandsworth-Patterson-Burnitz

leave Hairston? :-?

In Burnitz' spot about two weeks into the season.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby red » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:04 pm

Registered_Guest wrote:Well of course we won't give Carlos for Huff, but the Cubs have the prospects to make a deal for Huff to happen.

The cubs have the prospects to make a deal happen for _next_ year when Huff gets 7.5M; while he's only getting 4 M the Drays want talent for him; I would doubt they're despearate while his salary is still low.
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers